Injury Report: Kirby Dach injured — upd: out 4-5 months

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's not a "prospects tournament". It's a chance for elite level kids to represent their country. No reason to try and demean it, because you don't understand
Dude, this is the Hawks boards. Take you and your pride for your country outta here, because nobody here actually cares about f***ing team Canada, only Dach's success.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I’m guessing that’s not a positive update?

I’ve been thinking about this. You don’t need more X-rays if it’s a break, you’ll see it. His hand did look kind of weird, it may well have been a dislocation which could be better than a break if there’s no damage to cartilage.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
It's not a "prospects tournament". It's a chance for elite level kids to represent their country. No reason to try and demean it, because you don't understand
He’s not a kid. He’s a critical part of an NHL franchise now going on his second season

He’s a pro. Not a junior. Not a kid.

‘Representing your country’ is irrelevant. I know it’s a big deal in Canada. It shouldn’t be.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

No. A chance to captain some team at some tourney that most people outside of Canada don’t care about was not worth the risk

Dach is a cornerstone piece of a struggling Blackhawks franchise with aging stars

He’s a PRO and an important one. Playing in a juniors exhibition tournament with 18 year olds is pointless.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
No. A chance to captain some team at some tourney that most people outside of Canada don’t care about was not worth the risk

Dach is a cornerstone piece of a struggling Blackhawks franchise with aging stars

He’s a PRO and an important one. Playing in a juniors exhibition tournament with 18 year olds is pointless.
He's playing in a junior exhibition with 19 year olds like himself too

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
He's playing in a junior exhibition with 19 year olds like himself too
He’s going into his second year as a pro as a key part of the Hawks roster for a season that starts in 3 weeks.

There was zero upside to allowing him to play in an exhibition tourney for teenagers.

He’s a pro now - a key one - not a ‘junior’.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He’s going into his second year as a pro as a key part of the Hawks roster for a season that starts in 3 weeks.

There was zero upside to allowing him to play in an exhibition tourney for teenagers.

He’s a pro now - a key one - not a ‘junior’.

I'm sure Bowman didn't ask Dach to go...Dach wanted to go because you only get so many chances to win medals for your country, let alone at a wjc or to even captain your team.

I agree that at this point he's not gonna get a better hockey player playing a wjc but it's always good to take responsibility and captain a team. It's also good to have people in the organization who know how to win.

It's also about treating people the right way. You want your players motivated, not frustrated. Also, Dach is gonna be a cornerstone of the Blackhawks franchise for many years...there'll also be situations when Bowman needs something from Dach.

For example, Timo Meier really wanted to play for Rapperswil, the team he played for at junior level before moving to Halifax. Doug Wilson didn't allow it and Meier made it pretty clear in multiple interviews that he's not particularly happy with the decision. Could take quite a few years until he gets another chance to play for Rapperswil. I get that he's maybe the Sharks best forward and that Wilson is desperate to rebound from a bad season...still not sure if it was worth the bad blood.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

He’s a pro now - a key one - not a ‘junior’

If you're under 20, you're eligible. Thats all that matters and its hockey tournament experience that valuable. Toews at 19 played it too. That Dach played in the NHL his draft year doesn't make it not helpful experience

Reactions: BlackMetalED

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It sucks he is injured, but he is risking injury no matter what he does or where he plays. The Hawks will suck with him, and theyll suck without him. If anything it helps us get a better pick. It's not like we are putting a team together that is going to the playoffs anyway.
This is all correct.

The biggest thing is how much development time he misses this year, though it shouldn't be too terribly long (not like Nylander's injury). If it's bad, Dach will likely only miss a month or two of playing with a mediocre squad who weren't likely playoff bound with or without him. It's not a huge deal, just disappointing when we've all been so eager to see him grow for months now.

I think we all just need to be happy that all he injured was his hand/wrist, and not something that could have long term ramifications like another concussion.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This is all correct.

The biggest thing is how much development time he misses this year, though it shouldn't be too terribly long (not like Nylander's injury). If it's bad, Dach will likely only miss a month or two of playing with a mediocre squad who weren't likely playoff bound with or without him.

I think we all just need to be happy that all he injured was his hand/wrist, and not something that could have long term ramifications like another concussion.
Hand/wrist has potential long term ramifications. It can kill a player's shot. There are players that had special shots suddenly lose it after a hand/wrist injury.

It's similar to a hitter in baseball losing power afer that type of injury.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad