Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
save thos3e guys, if we do aanything in the playoffs, they will be the energy and catalyst
Completely agree. Could be a dog fight at the top with so many teams so close, let those guys beat each other up, we should use the opportunity to rest some players, I’m sure the last two weeks or so have been pretty draining for these guys, it’s been a brutal schedule.

Reactions: OMG67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Do you think #35 will get 2 or 3 starts over the final 4 games if this is the coaches mindset?
I think the last 2 for sure salajko will play (and we will get blown out) vaccari may play Ottawa if they’re trying to lock up the 7th seed.

Trying to learn some of the draft guys and I see there’s 4 really good ones. We won’t get any of those guys but hopefully there isn’t too much of a drop off from 5-8 where we will likely end up picking

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Looking more and more likely that we may be playing Sudbury/north bay.

Hopefully barrie finishes really strong and kingston goes on a losing streak. Pretty bad to be cheering against the fronts but they’re toast against sauga/nb/sudbury

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Looking more and more likely that we may be playing Sudbury/north bay.

Hopefully barrie finishes really strong and kingston goes on a losing streak. Pretty bad to be cheering against the fronts but they’re toast against sauga/nb/sudbury
I know they haven’t played Sudbury well this year but I wouldn’t mind that matchup compared to NB. They remind me a lot of past Fronts teams that can score but have no idea how to keep the puck out of their net. It isn’t a great playoff recipe and I think the Fronts would matchup better against a team like that.

Reactions: OMG67

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
I’m starting to agree. Sudbury could be that team that bows out quickly. They are not playing well and continue to give up lots of goals. If the Fronts end up playing Sudbury, we could get the upset if we play decent hockey in our own end.

Good for Burns tonight responding to the hit on Uens. As I said earlier, this is a team player. He didn’t hesitate one second to step up immediately. I also liked Schmidt’s game tonight, played very physical, great to see. This is the style of play we need in the playoffs.

I’m starting to really detest the way McNamara tries to play the tough guy on every shift, after every whistle he’s acting like he’s going to fight and it’s all for show. Please somebody who knows this kid tell him to just stop. I don’t think he realizes that this actually hurts his draft status. Either drop them when you need to, or don’t put on a show. He’s got great speed, so so hands and he’s having some success. Just don’t understand the silly antics.

Great job by Hemstrom tonight as well, love the grit he is showing. Hope Mann gets JJ back in net, and rests some of the guys who might be banged up.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Completely agree. Could be a dog fight at the top with so many teams so close, let those guys beat each other up, we should use the opportunity to rest some players, I’m sure the last two weeks or so have been pretty draining for these guys, it’s been a brutal schedule.
There is a fine line between resting up and getting ready. If there are a couple players, like Vaccari, that are worn down, get those guys out of the lineup and don’t heavy skate them. Jsut keep them loose and let the body heal. BUT, the Fronts are in a great position right now to do it this weekend and then next weekend, get the guys back int he lineup to tune up for the playoffs.

That is assuming there are only about 3-4 guys that “need” the rest. If you feel they need to rest more then you would need to rotate but that isn’t ideal.

You are fortunate to only have three games left. Ditch the Sunday game vs North Bay. Take Monday completely off. Light skat eon Tuesday. Hard practise Wednesday, light practice Thursday and then push. You have Ottawa next Friday and Brantford next Saturday. Gear up for those games. Then you have 5-6 days off before playoffs. Get in a good frame of mind.

If you go into next week light practise and then rotate guys out next weekend, you risk not being prepared on the ice.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I know they haven’t played Sudbury well this year but I wouldn’t mind that matchup compared to NB. They remind me a lot of past Fronts teams that can score but have no idea how to keep the puck out of their net. It isn’t a great playoff recipe and I think the Fronts would matchup better against a team like that.
100%! Sudbury is the team most likely to shit the bed IMO. Their goal suppression is bad. The only issue is Kingston has poor goal suppression as well AND Sudbury scores like crazy. That could end up being a run and gun series which Kingston probably loses. If Kingston can stay focused and concentrate of laying the body, clog the neutral zone and reduce odd man rushes, Sudbury would not stand much of a chance. But, if Kingston plays Sudbury’s game? I see a lot of 8-6 losses for Kingston. Hit them over and over. Reduce the ice in front of them. You’ll have a great chance to win I think.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Oh 100% north bay would be the worst matchup for sure. They have it all. I see them winning the east for sure unless Leenders turns into prime hasek here for sauga

Just between Sudbury, north bay, Oshawa and brantford( don’t think sauga or Ottawa win the divisions) it’s gotta be the 2 east teams you’d rather play over the central ones

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I’m starting to agree. Sudbury could be that team that bows out quickly. They are not playing well and continue to give up lots of goals. If the Fronts end up playing Sudbury, we could get the upset if we play decent hockey in our own end.

Good for Burns tonight responding to the hit on Uens. As I said earlier, this is a team player. He didn’t hesitate one second to step up immediately. I also liked Schmidt’s game tonight, played very physical, great to see. This is the style of play we need in the playoffs.

I’m starting to really detest the way McNamara tries to play the tough guy on every shift, after every whistle he’s acting like he’s going to fight and it’s all for show. Please somebody who knows this kid tell him to just stop. I don’t think he realizes that this actually hurts his draft status. Either drop them when you need to, or don’t put on a show. He’s got great speed, so so hands and he’s having some success. Just don’t understand the silly antics.

Great job by Hemstrom tonight as well, love the grit he is showing. Hope Mann gets JJ back in net, and rests some of the guys who might be banged up.
We have played some of our worst hockey of the year against Sudbury and north bay. Would hate for a matchup with either. Sudbury I think bows out in round 2.

Burns has always been a team player. When ludwinski is gone- next year burns will be captain for sure. Think about it- these would be the people up for it. Frasca, burns, Hopkins maybe (was a former captain but way too young to be one at this level)

To me it seems like a clear shot burns gets it assuming he cleans up the dumb penalties act- but he’s been a lot better lately for that I find. If not burns it’ll be frasca. Not gonna name individual players like thibodeau, battaglia, soto that would be in the running- no shot those guys get it over the 3 I mentioned.

I agree about McNamara- been around Heyes and Poole too long who will actually drop them LOL

Hemstrom has been the most underrated front the last 2 years and one of the most hardworking too. Will be a shame losing him after this year. I almost wish they’d keep him as an OA but team probably needs a second goalie more than anything. Salajko has improved a lot this season though- next year he should be a more capable backup.

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
I think I just changed my mind about the rest. Hopefully we get everyone back tomorrow. Short turn around for NB, they may be without Ertel as he left tonight’s game injured. 3rd game in 4 days on the road, this is the best opportunity to keep them gaining another 2 points as it really looks like they will be in the top 2 with the games they have remaining. Out of all the teams in the East I really don’t want to face NB for the first round.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think I just changed my mind about the rest. Hopefully we get everyone back tomorrow. Short turn around for NB, they may be without Ertel as he left tonight’s game injured. 3rd game in 4 days on the road, this is the best opportunity to keep them gaining another 2 points as it really looks like they will be in the top 2 with the games they have remaining. Out of all the teams in the East I really don’t want to face NB for the first round.
100%. And I fully expect tomorrow to be a complete blowout and a show of things to come if we play them round 1. They have the depth upfront, on the blueline and the best goalie in the east when he is on his game.

Nobody wants to face divinctiis in the playoffs he is a different breed. Still haven’t forgotten what he did to us in round 2 back in the shane wright draft year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
100%. And I fully expect tomorrow to be a complete blowout and a show of things to come if we play them round 1. They have the depth upfront, on the blueline and the best goalie in the east when he is on his game.

Nobody wants to face divinctiis in the playoffs he is a different breed. Still haven’t forgotten what he did to us in round 2 back in the shane wright draft year.
I think it will be hard to figure out who the best opponent is. The top 4 are definitely in a dog fight.

The question is how many aches and pains they will be carrying into the playoffs.

I actually think Kingston may have an advantage in that they finished fighting for a playoff spot long ago and hopefully rested a lot of the sore players.

Mississauga could be interesting but I really do not see any of the op 3 going more than 5 games.

The series that will be interesting is 4 5 no matter who it is.

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
There is a lot of truth to these comments. Mississauga, North Bay, Brantford and possibly Sudbury are all still in the hunt for play off positioning, they will be playing playoff hockey banging bodies for those final last games, and let’s face it, one of those teams could lose a playoff performer to injury.

Today’s win did a lot for Kingston and momentum, mentally they proved today that they could beat NB, they are now also in a position where they were able to rest some players and will be able to start playoffs healthy. They are also getting players like Hopkins more ice time right now to boost his confidence. All of these teams in the east are so close together that the first round is going to have some exciting hockey and anything can happen.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
There is a lot of truth to these comments. Mississauga, North Bay, Brantford and possibly Sudbury are all still in the hunt for play off positioning, they will be playing playoff hockey banging bodies for those final last games, and let’s face it, one of those teams could lose a playoff performer to injury.

Today’s win did a lot for Kingston and momentum, mentally they proved today that they could beat NB, they are now also in a position where they were able to rest some players and will be able to start playoffs healthy. They are also getting players like Hopkins more ice time right now to boost his confidence. All of these teams in the east are so close together that the first round is going to have some exciting hockey and anything can happen.
They should give JJ at least one start next weekend - he has beaten Ottawa before so give him that game. Poole and Heyes will be back- doubt they rest any of the forwards so Cavallin will likely be scratched again and hopkins will probably move back to 4th line spot duty again.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Two races to watch for Kingston: Race for 2nd (I'm considering Oshawa as having locked up the 1 seed) and the race for the 6th pick.

Race for 2nd: (GR = games remaining)
Mississauga - 66GP, 82 pts (36 ROW) - GR @ NIAG, VS NB
North Bay - 65GP, 81 pts (36 ROW) - GR VS BAR, @ MISS, VS PET
Sudbury - 65GP, 79 pts (35 ROW) - GR VS BAR, @ NIAG, @ OSH

North Bay likely has the advantage but it's very likely gonna come down to that NB/MISS game next friday.

Race for the 6th pick:
Flint - 65GP, 65 pts (28 ROW) - GR VS ERIE, @ SOO, vs SAR
Owen Sound - 66GP, 66 pts (28 ROW) - GR @ GUE, VS GUE
Kingston - 66GP, 66 pts (30 ROW) - GR VS OTT, VS BFD
Erie - 65GP, 67 pts (27 ROW) - GR @ FLNT, @ WSR, VS KIT
Guelph - 64GP, 67 pts (27 ROW) - GR @ KIT, VS OS, @ OS, @ LDN

Kingston's ROW hurts them for tiebreakers - but they do have one of the tougher schedules with the most GP.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Two races to watch for Kingston: Race for 2nd (I'm considering Oshawa as having locked up the 1 seed) and the race for the 6th pick.

North Bay likely has the advantage but it's very likely gonna come down to that NB/MISS game next friday.

Race for the 6th pick:

Kingston's ROW hurts them for tiebreakers - but they do have one of the tougher schedules with the most GP.
Thanks for showing this it’s pretty cool to look at.

Hopefully kingston gets the 6th pick that would be phenomenal.

I’m gonna assume they lose both games to Ottawa (I think they’re gonna beat us this time, hopefully without OT)and brantford

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Pretty cool Ludwinskis goal and celebration went viral

Don’t know how he thinks of some of these celebrations lol.

Also I see Hopkins being like ludwinski eventually. Maybe a captain by 18. Next year will be 2nd/3rd line centre in 17yr old season like ludwinski, both 2 way, both very fast.

Gotta remember ludwinski put up 34 pts in 47 games his “rookie”(17 year old) season. I could see Hopkins putting up fairly similar numbers next year in his 17year old season.

For the captains- once ludwinski leaves this year I see burns being captain for a year then playing in the ahl. Frasca the year after before he probably makes the ahl and then Hopkins the year after in his 19 year old season. Or after burns leaves next year Hopkins could be 18 and a captain for 2 years like ludwinski.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Race for the 6th pick:

Sudbury is likely out of the race for the division now.

Oshawa is likely to win their division as well.

I’m not sure 87 points will win the Conference for Oshawa though. North bay has Barrie, PEterborough and Mississauga. Mississauga has Niagara and North Bay. We will assume those two teams will win the easier games. If Mississauga beats NorthBay on Friday, they have 86 points. If North Bay wins, they have 87 points. Oshawa loses both tie-breakers so it is likely Oshawa will need 87 points to beat Mississauga or 88 points to beat North Bay.

Oshawa does not have an easy last two games. Kitchener on the road and Sudbury at home. It is possible that Kitchener starts resting guys though. At least, it is likely they roll 4 lines the whole game. Sudbury needs some momentum so I assume they will be making every effort to win that game.

It isn’t locked up at all at this point. I don’t think Brantford of Sudbury are likely to sneak into that mix. A lot of surprising losses need to happen for that to come to fruition!

It is going to be a wild finish. It is very possible that as little as 4 points will separate 1st and 6th when all is said and done!

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Pretty cool Ludwinskis goal and celebration went viral

Don’t know how he thinks of some of these celebrations lol.

Also I see Hopkins being like ludwinski eventually. Maybe a captain by 18. Next year will be 2nd/3rd line centre in 17yr old season like ludwinski, both 2 way, both very fast.

Gotta remember ludwinski put up 34 pts in 47 games his “rookie”(17 year old) season. I could see Hopkins putting up fairly similar numbers next year in his 17year old season.

For the captains- once ludwinski leaves this year I see burns being captain for a year then playing in the ahl. Frasca the year after before he probably makes the ahl and then Hopkins the year after in his 19 year old season. Or after burns leaves next year Hopkins could be 18 and a captain for 2 years like ludwinski.
#19 didn't come up with that celebration himself, it was a recently popular goal celly in the Minnesota hockey tournament on March 7th - Selfie Stick Goal Celly

I think to close out the season #91 will move up in the line-up and get more minutes. If I were him (or his agent) as a 4th overall pick, I wouldn't be overly happy on a .500 team and playing 8 or 9 minutes per game.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

DiVincentiis was not that impressive against the Petes in the Eastern Conference Final last year.

Reactions: PuckLucker

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
DiVincentiis was not that impressive against the Petes in the Eastern Conference Final last year.
I would be more focused on the nearly 300 points that #14, #15 & #16 have scored on NB this regular season. Those 3 players can bury you quickly.
NB also has a healthy Goals For rating where the Fronts allow more goals than they score.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I would be more focused on the nearly 300 points that #14, #15 & #16 have scored on NB this regular season. Those 3 players can bury you quickly.
NB also has a healthy Goals For rating where the Fronts allow more goals than they score.
NB is a matchup as a Fronts fan I would want to avoid at all costs. They are easily the best team in the east - regardless of how well other teams have looked here and there, on streaks over the course of the season - I think that NB is the most complete team in the east.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
That’s why I said the east, not the league.

Still got Simpson who outperformed divinctiis last year in the playoffs.

NB is a matchup as a Fronts fan I would want to avoid at all costs. They are easily the best team in the east - regardless of how well other teams have looked here and there, on streaks over the course of the season - I think that NB is the most complete team in the east.
Also the most experienced

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad