Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Cavallin played a regular shift with Thibodeau and Hopkins "4th" Line.
Miedema, Like Battaglia (and Frasca) were all feeling sick yesterday.
Wow I never even noticed him playing and anytime I thought oh it would be nice to have him out there right now he was in the middle of the bench

Wow that’s just lovely got the flu going around hopefully whenever they come back there is no more sickness for all of them.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I understand why completely however at the end of the day that’s not probably the best development to put him on the 3rd line. If he was here this year or next he would probably be comparable to where burns and Schmidt have been playing (the whole game)

Also not cutting up pieniniemi at all just pointing out the stats. Liiga is probably the 3rd best league in the world. Maybe 4th behind ahl. Regardless way better than the chl.

McCarthys brother is 22. Any chance his brother is graduating this year? If he is that may be the opening the fronts are looking for to get Gavin. Obviously Gavin won’t leave when case is still there but once case leaves perhaps he changes his commitment?
our logic in this sense is confusing. Think in OHL terms a first year player plays on what line? Why?

The development of the BU team, which is one of the top organizations ranked number 2 in Hockey, is huge. He is getting a free education and is playing competitive hockey against older players at an elite level. He has also never played outside the US and when given the choice chose the USHL and the ability to play in Boston. I am sorry but he is going no where.

Emil Pieniniemi (Pittsburgh Penguins) is someone I’ve grown to really like watching. He had a quiet, but solid U-18s last year but I felt like he was playing with a lot of confidence at the World Junior Summer Showcase. You’re not looking for flash when watching Pieniniemi – you’re keeping a close eye on his decision-making and ability to bring some energy and size to a shift.

Then again maybe you can ask Santa for the impossible LOL

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the Fronts, I think the big question is not so much who can you get at what cost but looking at what you have what do you do with this year and next year.

Looking at ages you have most of the forwards and defence coming back next year.

The challenge is in the nets and I am sorry that is a huge problem.

Can you really tink that the Vaccari Salajko pairing will do any better next year?

You ng Slajko needs to go to Stouffville, and Downey needs to come back. That or make a trade and bring in a starter, put Vaccari back to the platoon, and send JJ down.

You can not develop a player if he does not play the game. JJ is not playing the game, and therefore, as even his dad will tell you, it is going to get worse.

Personally, I think Donoso is your best bet, as he is playing well on a team that is playing above its head because of him and MacK.

He loves to face lots of shots. The price would be minimal, and really, what are you guys doing with Callen that makes it so hard to either trade or release him? I didn't think he was that much of a stud LOL.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Looking at the Fronts, I think the big question is not so much who can you get at what cost but looking at what you have what do you do with this year and next year.

Looking at ages you have most of the forwards and defence coming back next year.

Can you really tink that the Vaccari Salajko pairing will do any better next year?

You ng Slajko needs to go to Stouffville, and Downey needs to come back. That or make a trade and bring in a starter, put Vaccari back to the platoon, and send JJ down.

You can not develop a player if he does not play the game. JJ is not playing the game, and therefore, as even his dad will tell you, it is going to get worse.

Personally, I think Donoso is your best bet, as he is playing well on a team that is playing above its head because of him and MacK.

He loves to face lots of shots. The price would be minimal, and really, what are you guys doing with Callen that makes it so hard to either trade or release him? I didn't think he was that much of a stud LOL.
I agree that Donoso may be worth a look. I think they need to do something with that final OA spot. That may be a good use. This goaltending mess of playing one goalie every game can’t continue.

Reactions: beastintheeast

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
our logic in this sense is confusing. Think in OHL terms a first year player plays on what line? Why?

The development of the BU team, which is one of the top organizations ranked number 2 in Hockey, is huge. He is getting a free education and is playing competitive hockey against older players at an elite level. He has also never played outside the US and when given the choice chose the USHL and the ability to play in Boston. I am sorry but he is going no where.

Emil Pieniniemi (Pittsburgh Penguins) is someone I’ve grown to really like watching. He had a quiet, but solid U-18s last year but I felt like he was playing with a lot of confidence at the World Junior Summer Showcase. You’re not looking for flash when watching Pieniniemi – you’re keeping a close eye on his decision-making and ability to bring some energy and size to a shift.

Then again maybe you can ask Santa for the impossible LOL
I’m well aware how good bu is lol I’ve mentioned the players that have gone there before. Also I’m well aware about pieniniemi as well which I thought I made clear a couple posts ago.

Never impossible always unlikely which is again time and time again what I’ve said here beast nice of you to notice.

you really like pushing donoso at people beast you’d think he’s the second coming of dominik hasek

I’m sure you are well aware as you’re a fronts expert however they currently have 3 OA’s and last time I checked donoso is an OA

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I don’t understand how Mann who was a professional coach is ok with the goalie situation playing out like this. Surely he realizes how embarrassing it is for the kid and for the team. I really can’t figure out why they made a trade for a backup goalie and yet continue to let salajko be on the team and never play. What is going on?!?

Reactions: frontsfan67

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
Well Mann may not be happy with the goalie situation, he’s the coach and that’s in the GM’s hand. Mann sees these guys practice everyday and probably sees more than anybody who he thinks his best shot is in net at getting two points. For the first half of the season our defence has played below grade, way too many goals given away through bad decision clearing passes, blocked Shots turning into breakaways and goals given up because we were out of position.

The second issue is certain players going through the motions and losing the board battles and having a poor compete. Regardless of the record right now I believe Mann is doing a great job. The PP is vastly improved, we typically gave up a breakaway or goal on just about every PP during Caputi’s tenure, the PP now has lots of movement. On PK at times we are excellent, but only when we play an aggressive style, when we stay stationary boxed in and tight we are in trouble.

With the addition of Schmidt, he is solid, forget the plus/minus for his first few games he is going to be a game changer. I think this and the fact Ludwinski played the last couple of games shows they could potentially be buyers right now. This division is way too close in points, one bad weekend can move you from top to bottom. Kingston is in last place right now but that means nothing, we have a coach who uses structure, we have just improved our d core, our top line is working well, Frasca, and Hemstrom are playing well. McNammara seems to be putting it together and our fourth/third line of Poole, Heyes and Callans has been playing with a ton of energy and snot. With Kingston improving their d core I can see a couple of potential moves but I’m just a sideline coach like everyone else.

1. Thibideau- could be in the mix. He should have enough trade value to bring in a bigger, stronger player. I’ve been critical of Thibideau at times for his poor decision making when he has a chance to pass but would rather shoot from bad angles. He’s a talented player but may not fit into Mann’s team game and I’m sure Thibideau isn’t happy about being pushed down to the third line
2. Miedema- he has been really hot at times but a ghost for so many other games. I do think he’s working harder lately but takes lots of shifts off for a top six forward. There could be a decent return for a player they could use both this year and next.
3. Hopkins- May be a long shot to be given up, but has had lots of ice all through the lie-up this year, has played both PP and PK. He’s a hard working kid, good skater but will he be a top six forward next year? I think they have a good asset in Hopkins that could get them a decent return.
4. As others have said, they need another goalie that could share the workload. Vaccari is exceptional in my opinion but the backend d has forced the coach to play Vaccari too much.

I think the second half of the season will be much better than the first. Make the play-offs and anything can happen.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I’m well aware how good bu is lol I’ve mentioned the players that have gone there before. Also I’m well aware about pieniniemi as well which I thought I made clear a couple posts ago.

Never impossible always unlikely which is again time and time again what I’ve said here beast nice of you to notice.

you really like pushing donoso at people beast you’d think he’s the second coming of dominik hasek

I’m sure you are well aware as you’re a fronts expert however they currently have 3 OA’s and last time I checked donoso is an OA
You have 2 OA and a fire hydrant. No offence but do you really want to go through the last half of the season with Callen.
I think that Donoso is the better of the goalies available right now, but if you want de vin, that is your choice.

Either way a proven OA goalie is what you need to the question is how in love are you with Callen?

Then again, maybe you think Vaccria and JJ are a good tandem?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Well Mann may not be happy with the goalie situation, he’s the coach and that’s in the GM’s hand. Mann sees these guys practice everyday and probably sees more than anybody who he thinks his best shot is in net at getting two points. For the first half of the season our defence has played below grade, way too many goals given away through bad decision clearing passes, blocked Shots turning into breakaways and goals given up because we were out of position.

The second issue is certain players going through the motions and losing the board battles and having a poor compete. Regardless of the record right now I believe Mann is doing a great job. The PP is vastly improved, we typically gave up a breakaway or goal on just about every PP during Caputi’s tenure, the PP now has lots of movement. On PK at times we are excellent, but only when we play an aggressive style, when we stay stationary boxed in and tight we are in trouble.

With the addition of Schmidt, he is solid, forget the plus/minus for his first few games he is going to be a game changer. I think this and the fact Ludwinski played the last couple of games shows they could potentially be buyers right now. This division is way too close in points, one bad weekend can move you from top to bottom. Kingston is in last place right now but that means nothing, we have a coach who uses structure, we have just improved our d core, our top line is working well, Frasca, and Hemstrom are playing well. McNammara seems to be putting it together and our fourth/third line of Poole, Heyes and Callans has been playing with a ton of energy and snot. With Kingston improving their d core I can see a couple of potential moves but I’m just a sideline coach like everyone else.

1. Thibideau- could be in the mix. He should have enough trade value to bring in a bigger, stronger player. I’ve been critical of Thibideau at times for his poor decision making when he has a chance to pass but would rather shoot from bad angles. He’s a talented player but may not fit into Mann’s team game and I’m sure Thibideau isn’t happy about being pushed down to the third line
2. Miedema- he has been really hot at times but a ghost for so many other games. I do think he’s working harder lately but takes lots of shifts off for a top six forward. There could be a decent return for a player they could use both this year and next.
3. Hopkins- May be a long shot to be given up, but has had lots of ice all through the lie-up this year, has played both PP and PK. He’s a hard working kid, good skater but will he be a top six forward next year? I think they have a good asset in Hopkins that could get them a decent return.
4. As others have said, they need another goalie that could share the workload. Vaccari is exceptional in my opinion but the backend d has forced the coach to play Vaccari too much.

I think the second half of the season will be much better than the first. Make the play-offs and anything can happen.
As to the pairing of JJ and Vaccari I think there was a promise made in order to sign him that he would dress for the team and would not be sent down.
There has to be something that was either a handshake or part of the contract they agreed on.
It could also be that none of the other GMs are talking to him as they are trying to decide what they want to do and what the price is going to be.

Hopkins is a rookie and was your number 1 pick. PLEASE don't go back to the Mav mentality and trade him.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Wow I never even noticed him playing and anytime I thought oh it would be nice to have him out there right now he was in the middle of the bench

Wow that’s just lovely got the flu going around hopefully whenever they come back there is no more sickness for all of them.
Mann doesn't give him any pp or pk time - so I think he and Callans to some extent get screwed when there are lots of penalties.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not sure if any of you are aware, however I think it is very interesting both Ty Nelson and Dom DiVinctiis are both not playing games for North Bay at this time before the Christmas break. I assume they're both getting shopped around to some team/teams and they're not playing right now to save themselves from injury.

Now I give it approximately a like 5 percent chance or less this happens- however Kingston does need a goalie and a d man LOL. A man can dream. With them still playing Ludwinski it seems they may not be trading him because why would they want to risk injury.

If Springer and Cooper decided they needed a big shake up of the team this would be one way to do it especially in a very weak east this year.

Nelson and DiVincentiis to Kingston for Tyler Hopkins, Chris Thibodeau, Maleek McGowan, 2 seconds and 2 thirds- who says no? Kingston, or North Bay?

Hypothetically lets say they make a trade like this what would it mean to kingston? Well Kingston gets the best goalie in the league when he's on his game and a guy who can tutor this season to where Vaccari can elevate his game for 2 years after this (he is only 18)
Also one of the strongest tandems in the league if not the strongest.

Nelson would be if not the best d man in the league then at the very least a top 2. This obviously would push the depth of our defence (when healthy) down and thus making us far more deep.

Again a hope and a dream but just wanted to put this on here to see what Kingston fans think lol. In all seriousness they'll probably go to some team like Saginaw, the Soo or Sudbury
i dont think north bay is selling at all.

Been looking at that for ling yeah I never understood why they cut him he looked good in camp. Probably because he was older than some of these other guys on our team now so not as much potential. Way to go to him though.

Yeah I agree about the trade lol nothing more than a hope and a dream.

Yes really sucks we will lose hemstrom as he is a big part of our team. Hopefully they can get someone who reports next year they really gotta do their research.

That’s the d I think we will have for next year too
quebec league is always way easer to produce, ling would be a bottom 10 percent of the league type of d. you can find those guys for 6th round picks.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023

Mann is a very solid coach that clearly has helped define and implement structure with this team -- still there are players that either don't consistently stick with it and slip into bad habits or are simply not good enough.

I think Mason is an excellent goalie, but clearly is struggling the past 4-5 games, giving up goals that he hasn't been all year. I think that either he is fatigued(which s hould be resolved post xmas break) or he's in his head - which with a goalie can be short or long term.

JJ has gotten better than he showed in London - as we have seen in his other start and relief efforts -- but I still think they need to bring in a goalie that can play with the teams confidence in AND if Vaccari gets hurt or struggles can run with it. That likely means trading a good asset for a younger guy or giving up one OA - likely Callans for an OA goalie.

I think they have some good pieces on D - Schmidt is very good, and if Burns is healthy and when Chromiak is back, their top 4 should be Schmidt, Burns, McGowan and Chromiak and then Uens/Williamson can be 5-6.

Question for those that want Piennemi to come -- if he does - who leaves ? Hemstrom or Chromiak? I know most people will say Chromiak, but it's highly doubtful Hemi is back next year as an OA import ... so ....

Personally, as much as I want to think they are good enough to get to that "anything can happen in the playoffs" conversation - I don't think they are as currently constructed. The inconsistency and tendencies to lapse into funks and give up 2-3 lazy goals will hurt them down the stretch. Additionally while people have been praising Ludwinski play which has been good and he has been a vocal and supportive leader-with his teammates watching his body language screams frustration - which is understandable, but can also snowball pretty quick.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You have 2 OA and a fire hydrant. No offence but do you really want to go through the last half of the season with Callen.
I think that Donoso is the better of the goalies available right now, but if you want de vin, that is your choice.

Either way a proven OA goalie is what you need to the question is how in love are you with Callen?

Then again, maybe you think Vaccria and JJ are a good tandem?
Callens OA 1 Holmes OA 2 Schmidt OA 3.

Also not in love with callens lmao however the reality is they still have him so the facts are the facts. They don’t have a spot for an OA at this time. If they were going to trade callens I’m sure they would’ve done it by now.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Mann is a very solid coach that clearly has helped define and implement structure with this team -- still there are players that either don't consistently stick with it and slip into bad habits or are simply not good enough.

I think Mason is an excellent goalie, but clearly is struggling the past 4-5 games, giving up goals that he hasn't been all year. I think that either he is fatigued(which s hould be resolved post xmas break) or he's in his head - which with a goalie can be short or long term.

JJ has gotten better than he showed in London - as we have seen in his other start and relief efforts -- but I still think they need to bring in a goalie that can play with the teams confidence in AND if Vaccari gets hurt or struggles can run with it. That likely means trading a good asset for a younger guy or giving up one OA - likely Callans for an OA goalie.

I think they have some good pieces on D - Schmidt is very good, and if Burns is healthy and when Chromiak is back, their top 4 should be Schmidt, Burns, McGowan and Chromiak and then Uens/Williamson can be 5-6.

Question for those that want Piennemi to come -- if he does - who leaves ? Hemstrom or Chromiak? I know most people will say Chromiak, but it's highly doubtful Hemi is back next year as an OA import ... so ....

Personally, as much as I want to think they are good enough to get to that "anything can happen in the playoffs" conversation - I don't think they are as currently constructed. The inconsistency and tendencies to lapse into funks and give up 2-3 lazy goals will hurt them down the stretch. Additionally while people have been praising Ludwinski play which has been good and he has been a vocal and supportive leader-with his teammates watching his body language screams frustration - which is understandable, but can also snowball pretty quick.
I doubt he would come over anyways obviously however if they were to get rid of anyone. Me personally I’d trade pieniniemi as he would have some value and some teams don’t have imports. Not sure what those teams are now but I’m sure I won’t have to worry too much about this as I highly doubt he’s coming over anyways. Still always a possibility just a very low one.

Also yes Ludwinski is definitely frustrated but watching the guy every game he plays with immense passion and this is the guy you want leading the team for sure. If they were to trade him I guarantee some people on here would be surprised for how much it would take to draw him from kingston. Guys 100% the mvp other than vaccari (playing every game)

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

Re: Pieniniemi - I would hope they did their homework on him before making the Chromiak trade, and they realized that he's not coming over this year so they pulled the trigger. If he does come over this year they're in a tough spot - I think they could get a decent haul for Hemstrom, but I'm not sure what contending teams are looking for an import.

I've noticed that with Ludwinski - the body language really stood out when Bergeron scored his first goal. He was wide open and would've scored if Bergeron had passed - but after Bergeron scored it seemed like everyone else on the ice was more excited than him.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
As to the pairing of JJ and Vaccari I think there was a promise made in order to sign him that he would dress for the team and would not be sent down.
There has to be something that was either a handshake or part of the contract they agreed on.
It could also be that none of the other GMs are talking to him as they are trying to decide what they want to do and what the price is going to be.

Hopkins is a rookie and was your number 1 pick. PLEASE don't go back to the Mav mentality and trade him.
I can’t believe any agreement would exist with any player that if the kid isn’t good enough to play in the league he is guaranteed a spot no matter what. And even if that was the case, I’m sure the agreement didn’t include that he would stay as the backup and never play. I can see they may have made promises to keep him up, but that was before you got him and realized he is unable to actually play.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I can’t believe any agreement would exist with any player that if the kid isn’t good enough to play in the league he is guaranteed a spot no matter what. And even if that was the case, I’m sure the agreement didn’t include that he would stay as the backup and never play. I can see they may have made promises to keep him up, but that was before you got him and realized he is unable to actually play.
i dont get why they signed him and then never played him. talk about setting the kid up for failure. 17 year old goalies are going to struggle, not playing him isnt going to stop the struggle, but it advances the growth and development. outside of his first game on the road in london (talk about setting the kid up for failure) hes done pretty well.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
i dont get why they signed him and then never played him. talk about setting the kid up for failure. 17 year old goalies are going to struggle, not playing him isnt going to stop the struggle, but it advances the growth and development. outside of his first game on the road in london (talk about setting the kid up for failure) hes done pretty well.
The reason why they’ve been playing vaccari so much is because he gives them a chance to win every night. His numbers look like crap right now because the team is playing like crap. Got 3 of the top 4 or 5 d men out right now. Vaccari also has been showing some clear fatigue as he has played the most games in the ohl. This break we’re having right now should help him for sure. I don’t think the games he’s been playing keeps up though they’ll probably start playing salajko more. When he’s been subbed in for vaccari or started games he’s gotten better and better. They probably let him know he wouldn’t be playing much in the first half but second half he will play more.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The reason why they’ve been playing vaccari so much is because he gives them a chance to win every night. His numbers look like crap right now because the team is playing like crap. Got 3 of the top 4 or 5 d men out right now. Vaccari also has been showing some clear fatigue as he has played the most games in the ohl. This break we’re having right now should help him for sure. I don’t think the games he’s been playing keeps up though they’ll probably start playing salajko more. When he’s been subbed in for vaccari or started games he’s gotten better and better. They probably let him know he wouldn’t be playing much in the first half but second half he will play more.
part of him being fatigured is playing too much. no reason to start him 11 games in a row or whatever they did earlier. thats setting both goalies up for failure.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
9 periods of hockey isn’t a lot to go on. They could give him some starts and see if he is able to stick around. But they can’t continue this way.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I doubt there is an agreement like that. As I understand it, he opted OHL over USHL partly because his dad was in the OHL back in his day and it offered him a better opportunity for development and playing time - I also understand that he and his dad both understood it may mean Jr A for this season
-- so not sure what is the actual truth.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Prospects May have missed this being posted already but Frasca invited to CHL prospects game :

Top Prospects
Good for him - missing so much time at the start of the year really let him fly under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 3-4 rounds.

I was hoping Battaglia might've done enough to start this year to earn him an invite but it looks like it wasn't enough.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
part of him being fatigured is playing too much. no reason to start him 11 games in a row or whatever they did earlier. thats setting both goalies up for failure.
I agree that’s insanity. I don’t think that keeps up the whole year.

Good for him - missing so much time at the start of the year really let him fly under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 3-4 rounds.

I was hoping Battaglia might've done enough to start this year to earn him an invite but it looks like it wasn't enough.
If frasca keeps this up I think he’s going to 2 rounds for sure he’s been amazing since coming back. As for battaglia he’s had a great year I’m shocked that they picked guys like O’Rielly, Walton and procysyn over battaglia.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_0769.png

Pretty cool to have 2 fronts on here. I’m sure frasca would’ve been here too had he not been hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad