GDT: Kings vs Oilers: Game 40 7pts out of a playoff spot 19:30 start

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Talbot will outplay Quick in this one. Mark it down. In Talbot we trust. Seriously.

That said Oilers need numbers back tonight, puck support, and players picking up their coverages. Kings work a lot of set plays that will catch teams not looking out for them. Kings even nearly scored off a direct shot faceoff in their last game. I wonder if any of our coaching staff are noting such tendencies/set play tricks.

The coaching staff cannot even realize, our PK is at historic, record breaking lows, McClellan tried to change it, worked pretty good last game..

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Im looking forward to a calm GDT. Seems like a lot of guys had emotional break downs after the last game and should be taking a break from the Oilers and HFoil.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Talbot will outplay Quick in this one. Mark it down. In Talbot we trust. Seriously.

That said Oilers need numbers back tonight, puck support, and players picking up their coverages. Kings work a lot of set plays that will catch teams not looking out for them. Kings even nearly scored off a direct shot faceoff in their last game. I wonder if any of our coaching staff are noting such tendencies/set play tricks.

They have pro scouts. Not much gets by any professional staff of any team.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders

Not to worry Woodcroft is on the case :wally:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The coaching staff cannot even realize, our PK is at historic, record breaking lows, McClellan tried to change it, worked pretty good last game..

Players have to execute. It isnt just on the coaches. The players execute at a top 5 85% on the road. Do you think the Home PK is different than the road one?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Players have to execute. It isnt just on the coaches. The players execute at a top 5 85% on the road. Do you think the Home PK is different than the road one?

Its some indication that which units the Oilers put out on the pk at home are the wrong ones. That they actually get the wrong matchups when selecting, and when its random, or the other team selecting, the results are better. That's on a whole other level of futile decision making. There can be no logical reason why pk on the road would be better than pk at home and yet...;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Suicide watch is on full alert for several here. GreatKeith at the very least needs to replace the keyboard he wore out after last game.
I'm actually thinking the Oilers will win. Doughty will be good for one mind numbingly stupid play tonight. The Kings, like any team, have more, or less difficulty with certain opponents. Last season they had a fair degree of difficulty with us. Should be a good game.

I like the Kings, but they have not been invincible lately. They don't have our number like the Jets do.

That said it could be just giddy hope on my part. Kings are a very good road team and the Oilers are a poor home team. Oddly the Oilers chances would be better in LA.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Its some indication that which units the Oilers put out on the pk at home are the wrong ones. That they actually get the wrong matchups when selecting, and when its random, or the other team selecting, the results are better. That's on a whole other level of futile decision making. There can be no logical reason why pk on the road would be better than pk at home and yet...;)

Or the players just f*** it badly up.

Reactions: Burnoutboi and Mez

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Sounds like a mental thing. Pinning home vs away performance on coaches is illogical, same system, same players...different results.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm actually thinking the Oilers will win. Doughty will be good for one mind numbingly stupid play tonight. The Kings, like any team, have more, or less difficulty with certain opponents. Last season they had a fair degree of difficulty with us. Should be a good game.

I like the Kings, but they have not been invincible lately. They don't have our number like the Jets do.

I think we win as well. Oilers play better in a full hitter like the game LA presents itself with. Should be good as you say!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree with that actually, just bad matchups I guess, but it could also be a case of sports psychology. They grip the sticks at home more maybe. It seemed that was last year. We were awful at home, but then things turned around and it snowballed in a good way, and being at home became a crazy advantage for us after that.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
The percentages don't lie..

Just interested, why do you think their is a difference between the home and road PK, it makes no sense..
Like your posts, by the way..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sounds like a mental thing. Pinning home vs away performance on coaches is illogical, same system, same players...different results.
No, you're right. Like I said I'm at a lack of being able to explain how a pk can be better on the road, than at home where you get to pick first pk matching from 2nd unit. Logically speaking, the pk should be better at home when you get to pick which unit is covering top unit pp.

Reactions: Mez

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Another reminder that the current jerseys are ugly as hell compared to the beauties that we brought back up until last season.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised and see McDavid with 4 points in the boxscore when I check it later tonight. Don't really care whether the boys win or lose... they're playing out the season at this point. No chance of playoffs and a better chance of moving down in the draft lottery than up so there's not much incentive to watch.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Im looking forward to a calm GDT. Seems like a lot of guys had emotional break downs after the last game and should be taking a break from the Oilers and HFoil.
Think it's more people just not wanting to waste their time watching a shitty product.

It's been over a decade with a brief 1 year reprieve... can't fault people for tuning out and finding more interesting things to do/watch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree with that actually, just bad matchups I guess, but it could also be a case of sports psychology. They grip the sticks at home more maybe. It seemed that was last year. We were awful at home, but then things turned around and it snowballed in a good way, and being at home became a crazy advantage for us after that.

McLellan is really bad at assessing who is doing what well. He really is subject to his biases. If asked, he would tell you that he trusts Cagg and Nuge on the pk, and even together. The results speak very differently. Those two are our worst pk forwards this season and when combined together I've learned to expect GA on the pk.

Now Nuge is a good player, just not on the pk, but how McLellan trusts Cagg in the assignments he's giving him is anybodies guess. At least one could think Nuge would be good on the pk, its plausible to think he would be, he just isn't being good there this season. But Cagg, he has some of the worst gap control and coverage breakdowns on this club. I would expect Cagg to be a fantastic disaster on the pk and he is, but he just gets put out there again and again. Cagg is 16GA/60mins on pk this season. So bad its almost funny.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm already drunk just in case. so far this season they've been 17-19-3 when I'm drunk so it's a toss up

I'm detecting a theme at work here. 39 drunk viewings, 39 Oilers games. Is this proactive drinking? ;)

I have noted its easier to take Oilers games while under the influence. Particularly Eakins era where it was practically required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad