Kings News: Kings Trade Ehrhoff for Scuderi

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The thing about bringing him back now is the fact that he doesn't need to play babysitter anymore to our defensemen. Doughty is probably the best shut down defender in the league now. Muzzin and Martinez also can play defense as well as offense. So even though we want Scuderi to play shutdown, he doesn't necessarily have to carry the shutdown load in his pairing while his partner freelances. Those days are over.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
The thing about bringing him back now is the fact that he doesn't need to play babysitter anymore to our defensemen. Doughty is probably the best shut down defender in the league now. Muzzin and Martinez also can play defense as well as offense. So even though we want Scuderi to play shutdown, he doesn't necessarily have to carry the shutdown load in his pairing while his partner freelances. Those days are over.

This might be why a lot of us seem to equate Scuds with Vinny, he fills a hole we have with more experience then is needed, doesn't fix the problem as a whole but doesn't seem to hurt either.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I found this quote from DL to be interesting regarding the homework they did before trading for Scuds. He doesn't state in the full quote what conclusion they reached, but hopefully Scuds dropoff is more attributable to the systems used by the teams he went to rather than his play.

“Rob was fairly easy,†he said. “The biggest thing to it as you saw that work out, that in keeping your eye on the cap and then the thing with Rob was obviously next year’s salary. Like, I could’ve gotten him earlier, but there was an issue in the money the next year. But the way that is now structured, it was almost like you’re not going to get a better player than that for what we’re going to end up playing, and then it becomes the issue of, OK, before we did it, we went back and Darryl and the coaches and I and Blakey, we sat and watched Rob’s game in Pittsburgh and Chicago, and then we put in the games that he played in the conference finals with us before he left and then tried to make a decision on ‘was the drop-off,’ so-to-speak, an issue of his slower or whatever, or maybe the role and the fit not being right and him being caught in between, and I think all that work was being done. . . ." http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/02/29/lombardi-explains-trade-conversations-deadline-approach/

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I found this quote from DL to be interesting regarding the homework they did before trading for Scuds. He doesn't state in the full quote what conclusion they reached, but hopefully Scuds dropoff is more attributable to the systems used by the teams he went to rather than his play.

I agree with you. If you look at Scuderi's stats in Pittsburgh, they actually looked fine. They were horrid in Chicago. Obviously Chicago thought he would help when they traded for him. Didn't work out that way, but that doesn't mean Scuderi is done.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I agree with you. If you look at Scuderi's stats in Pittsburgh, they actually looked fine. They were horrid in Chicago. Obviously Chicago thought he would help when they traded for him. Didn't work out that way, but that doesn't mean Scuderi is done.

I believe Pittsburgh traded him because his level of play did not justify the cap hit of keeping him. Its amazing how the Kings coaching staff and system can do wonders with defensemen. I still can't get over how great Schenn has played for the Kings. Flyers' fans called him garbage and this and that. He is turning out to be a solid stay at home/physical second pairing guy. I hope he signs for cheap in LA, knowing that his play works and is appreciated here.

Another great thing about the trade for Scuds is his cap hit next year. If we can get Schenn for a bargain as well, we can save a lot of cap space on our defense.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
I'm down. I know it was a couple years ago, but I liked Scuds a lot when he was here and I have good feels for him being on our first SC team. He knows what Sutter wants out of him, and if he has even half the stick skills he had in 2012, he will be a significant improvement over Ehrhoff. I'd be more than happy to have him retire a King, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad