Confirmed with Link: Kings trade Cammalleri to Edmonton for Jussi Jokinen

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess I just see the stats and what I've seen from Clifford and I think it's a larger impact. On any given night, 1/4 of our lineup is rookies (Iafallo, Kempe, Amadio, Fantenberg, Creszcenzi last night; MacDermid, Auger, who else has been here this year?); even if they're good ones, adding scrubs like Laich and Andreoff to that compounds the problem in that they're not properly insulated. Guys like Amadio, Auger are pretty well set up to fail when they have to skate with schlubs. That's part of the reason for this move and part of why I think Clifford is a big deal compared to what's there now.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Clifford wouldn't be replacing Lewis would he? He'd be taking Andreoff's spot.

I remember this off-season how much flack Clifford got and quite a few of you guys wanted to keep Nolan/Andreoff. Look at both of there seasons so far. Buffalo fans think Nolan is the worst player on the team.

Clifford is totally fine in a 4th line role. Lots of energy and drive. His biggest problem is he can't stay healthy.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Clifford is totally fine in a 4th line role. Lots of energy and drive. His biggest problem is he can't stay healthy.
It'd be nice to have adequate players to fill spots when injuries happen. Instead we're stuck with Laich and Andreoff who provide little to nothing.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Clifford wouldn't be replacing Lewis would he? He'd be taking Andreoff's spot.

I remember this off-season how much flack Clifford got and quite a few of you guys wanted to keep Nolan/Andreoff. Look at both of there seasons so far. Buffalo fans think Nolan is the worst player on the team.

Prime Nolan had a lot of potential. He fell off a cliff.

My point is he can't hold a candle to Lewis. And since he can't that means Clifford would at best be a minor improvement.

No one is saying that Clifford isn't better than Andreoff and Lach. My point is Clifford is a tiny improvement.

He's not gonna be the reason why we Win or lose a game.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It'd be nice to have adequate players to fill spots when injuries happen. Instead we're stuck with Laich and Andreoff who provide little to nothing.
Sure, but we're clearly going through a transition this year. A lot of Kids are getting looks, partially due to tall the picks and prospects DL traded away in the last couple years of his tenure.

Look on the bright side, at least we haven't had to jettison useful players because our GM couldn't work a fax machine.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Prime Nolan had a lot of potential. He fell off a cliff.

My point is he can't hold a candle to Lewis. And since he can't that means Clifford would at best be a minor improvement.

No one is saying that Clifford isn't better than Andreoff and Lach. My point is Clifford is a tiny improvement.

He's not gonna be the reason why we Win or lose a game.
Why are you comparing Clifford to Lewis? Lewis is a really good 3rd liner to have; horrible comparison. Compare Clifford to players we currently have on the 4th line (Dowd, Andreoff, Laich, etc.)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why are you comparing Clifford to Lewis? Lewis is a really good 3rd liner to have; horrible comparison. Compare Clifford to players we currently have on the 4th line (Dowd, Andreoff, Laich, etc.)

Glad we're on the same page. No fourth liner is going to be a difference maker and have any real impact.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Glad we're on the same page. No fourth liner is going to be a difference maker and have any real impact.
It's a significant move when you're replacing Andreoff/Laich with a Jokinen, Clifford, etc. The current 4th line we had was a liability every time they were on the ice. Hence the reason Cammalleri was traded. The sooner Clifford comes back to replace Andy/Laich the better.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's a significant move when you're replacing Andreoff/Laich with a Jokinen, Clifford, etc. The current 4th line we had was a liability every time they were on the ice. Hence the reason Cammalleri was traded. The sooner Clifford comes back to replace Andy/Laich the better.

It's not though. Better doesn't equate to signifcant. Can't throw that word around loosely. A minor improvement.

And Blake heavily implied he traded Cammy for a better role on another team.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I mean, I don't really disagree with your overall point but yes, the difference between an andreoff and a clifford is the difference between a cup team and a scrub team. Be marginally better than your opposition all around is what it takes at the top level. Clifford is a nails fourth liner, look around the league. Who would you take over him that's not Casey Cizikas?

You can't play your 1-2 lines all the way to a cup; you need your depth to be able to take a shift without crying at home.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I mean, I don't really disagree with your overall point but yes, the difference between an andreoff and a clifford is the difference between a cup team and a scrub team. Be marginally better than your opposition all around is what it takes at the top level. Clifford is a nails fourth liner, look around the league. Who would you take over him that's not Casey Cizikas?

You can't play your 1-2 lines all the way to a cup; you need your depth to be able to take a shift without crying at home.

Reaves, bonino, brodziak, Killorn, Paquette, kassian at the top of my head.

Yeah, I guess we have a different idea of what a meaningful change is.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I have to wonder if Clifford should step back on NHL ice at this point. Guy has lifted the Cup twice, but come out with more than his fair share of concussions.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'd be upset too if I was getting 1:26 more ES ice time than Mr.Minus Brooks Laich. While the Kings have been winning and off to a great start some of the ice times of King players makes little sense, very Sutter-like. After Cammy's 4 point night against Montreal where he registered 14:01 of ES ice time he was rewarded the next game with 10:42. Thanks for the big game now sit and watch the bottom 6ers.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I have to wonder if Clifford should step back on NHL ice at this point. Guy has lifted the Cup twice, but come out with more than his fair share of concussions.
I don't think this was concussion related I believe one of the king reporters saw Clifford in a sling the night of the injury and you don't put people into concussions into slings

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

I agree Reaves, Brodziak, and Paquette are 4th liners.

Bonino was the Predators 2nd line center to start the season, Killorn is not a 4th line winger; he's scored multiple 40 point seasons, and Kassian is a 3rd line checker.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I agree Reaves, Brodziak, and Paquette are 4th liners.

Bonino was the Predators 2nd line center to start the season, Killorn is not a 4th line winger; he's scored multiple 40 point seasons, and Kassian is a 3rd line checker.

They are playing on those teams 4th lines. All those players are playing on the 4th lines. I was told to give better 4th liners and I did easily.

And the fact you said that to me shows that Clifford is an average 4th liner, and an average 4th liner doesn't make an impact.

There was a lot of people carrying water for Dwight King, and well what do you know, he's in the KHL sucking ass right now.

People on this boards have a hard on for long term mediocre players, a hard on I don't understand.

I rest my case though.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
They are playing on those teams 4th lines. All those players are playing on the 4th lines. I was told to give better 4th liners and I did easily.

And the fact you said that to me shows that Clifford is an average 4th liner, and an average 4th liner doesn't make an impact.

There was a lot of people carrying water for Dwight King, and well what do you know, he's in the KHL sucking ass right now.

People on this boards have a hard on for mediocre players, a hard on I don't understand.

I rest my case though.
There's a big difference between 4th liners and playing on the 4th line. Would you consider Mitch Marner a 4th liner? No.

Dwight King was put on the 1st and 2nd line, do you see that with Clifford? That's why King got that hate that he did. Pretty much common sense bud.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There's a big difference between 4th liners and playing on the 4th line. Would you consider Mitch Marner a 4th liner? No.

Dwight King was put on the 1st and 2nd line, do you see that with Clifford? That's why King got that hate that he did. Pretty much common sense bud.
I don't think you understand, those teams that I mentioned check out their line ups, there's players better than those players who you don't deem to be 4th liners.

King also got hate because he sucks, and the reason why I give Clifford hate too, is because he sucks too. Just because there are players 500x better than Clifford playing on other teams 4th lines doesn't mean that their coach sees them as anything more than a 4th liner.

I know you're a diehard Clifford fan, so I know your emotions are compromised, but he is trash.

I'm sure Dorsett has fans too.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Being able to run 4 lines instead of 3 is a significant upgrade. We didn't win in 2012 and 2014 by rolling 3 lines.

We have not been able to run 4 lines this season. Jokinen/Clifford coming back will help.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't think this was concussion related I believe one of the king reporters saw Clifford in a sling the night of the injury and you don't put people into concussions into slings
Pretty sure it was shoulder surgery due to significant damage to be put this long... I torn up my shoulder... Torn labrum(reattached tendon), rotator cuff and bone spur, took me about 4 months to become active again so i don't think he's coming back soon...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
tumblr_nscheaVrOU1tnpfs2o3_500.gif

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Maybe before you rest your case you should look up players that are actually 4th liners.

From a playing standpoint I dont take Reaves over clifford, Kassian is roughly equal but he's been in and out of a top-six/top-nine role, Paquette maybe have a case there I don't watch him enough. So if your case is he's merely the 3rd best 4th liner in the league, thanks for making it for me, because I don't think even I'd go that far.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Maybe before you rest your case you should look up players that are actually 4th liners.

From a playing standpoint I dont take Reaves over clifford, Kassian is roughly equal but he's been in and out of a top-six/top-nine role, Paquette maybe have a case there I don't watch him enough. So if your case is he's merely the 3rd best 4th liner in the league, thanks for making it for me, because I don't think even I'd go that far.

(not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, so if you still disagree don't reply cause we're too far away.) lThat was on the top of my head, and regardless of who you consider to be 4th liners doesn't mean anything to anyone since they're actually playing on their teams respective 4th lines. But I know that wouldn't fit your dodgy narrative.

So I rest my case and accept your surrender as well since there is obviously no reasoning to be had on the topic.
BTW Kassian is easily better.

jb268vM.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad