Kings News: Kings resign Martinez 2 years 2.2 mil total

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I'd say so. Look to me there's a reason why Lombardi tried to deal for him last year and then signed him this year. The Caps don't really play d. Lets give him a shot in the system where we stress d and positioning. I'm willing to bet he's much better here IF he spends time with the big club.

This is my thought on this. Schultz may have been awful on the Caps, but it's the Caps. He's a total unknown when it comes to a system that stresses defense. Worst case scenario he ends up on waivers and either provides experience in Manchester or gets claimed and is no longer the Kings problem...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Schultz is 27 and has 399 NHL games.

Campbell is 25 with 0 NHL games.

Bodnarchuk is 25 with 5 NHL games.

I for one would rather see a guy with NHL experience if the need arises.

Schultz has 399 games but his play is going the wrong way.

Btw, at 25, Rob Scuderi had 13 NHL games to his credit and didn't play his first full NHL season until he was 28. Some guys bloom late and talking to Manchester fans, they said a lot of good things about Bodnarchuk and said Campbell has progressed a lot over the years. I'm not saying I want either, I haven't seen them myself, but NHL experience doesn't always tell the measure of the tape, especially for stay at home defensemen.

If they decide to go with 8 defensemen, the Kings would just have to waive one player from their blueline and carry 13 forwards. They could potentially ice this lineup:

Forwards (13):
Kopitar
Brown
Williams
Richards
Carter
Toffoli
Stoll
Frattin
King
Lewis
Clifford
Nolan
Fraser

Defensemen (8):
Doughty
Voynov
Regehr
Mitchell
Greene
Muzzin
Martinez
Schultz

Goalies (2):
Quick
Scrivens

Kings keep 14 forwards, seven D and two goalies under Sutter. Need we forget keeping pressbox Richardson and waiving Hickey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad