Kings News: Kings Re-sign Dustin Brown, 8 Years, $5.75M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm sure that's what the concern is which is why you haven't heard anything about an extension for him but he played the last 9 playoff games and despite the team going 3-6 in those games he averaged a little under his normal 17-minute plus TOI average (15:30 TOI) and was a plus-3. And those were big games and very physical. He held up well.

I can see them looking at how he's doing in contact drills during camp and maybe the first 5-10 games and announcing a 3 or 4 year deal with him at between $3.25M & $3.75M. If he's healthy he's extremely valuable to this team. He's the most physical defenseman in the NHL and he's flat out mean to the opposition. Very tough guy to play against.

DL hasn't locked up his D-men early in the past, unlike Quick and the forwards. Voynov, Doughty, Mitchell, were all signed after their contract, or right at the tail end. I doubt DL locks up Greene after just 10-20 games following his back injury situation. He'll be a late season resign.

If he gets into the HoF, his number's going up. I'm not a fan of how he left the team twice, but He was a great player for many years in this town. all HoFers who played most of their years in LA deserve consideration for number retirement.

I don't think he'll get in. Possible, but I don't think he will. Without those injuries, he'd be in and likely have another Norris or two as well.

Lets just hope this contract doesn't include a NTC/NMC....what else would there to be to inspire him to play to his potential?

It does have a limited NTC apparently.

And if long-term deals block inspiration then the team is screwed for a while since Carter, Richards, Quick, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Voynov are locked in for a number of years.

I guess we'll get top pick overall without all that inspiration.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
DL hasn't locked up his D-men early in the past, unlike Quick and the forwards. Voynov, Doughty, Mitchell, were all signed after their contract, or right at the tail end. I doubt DL locks up Greene after just 10-20 games following his back injury situation. He'll be a late season resign.

I don't think he'll get in. Possible, but I don't think he will. Without those injuries, he'd be in and likely have another Norris or two as well.

It does have a limited NTC apparently.

And if long-term deals block inspiration then the team is screwed for a while since Carter, Richards, Quick, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Voynov are locked in for a number of years.

I guess we'll get top pick overall without all that inspiration.

If thats the case, then a lot of teams are screwed. Including both teams who got to the ECF last year, Crosby, Malkin, Letang all have huge deals for the Pens, as do Bergeron, Chara and Rask for Boston. What logic!

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
which makes zero sense to me. he and the team did nothing to warrant that kind of accolade during his stint(s) in LA. yes he was a bright spot during some dark years, but beyond that i can't see hanging his jersey.

in comparison Rogie, Marcel and Luc were also bright spots but they produced HOF credentials during their careers. Taylor imo most closely resembles Brown, a life long King that captained the team. the difference being that DB brought # of SC('s) during his career.

a Legends night yes, but not a jersey retirement. factor in the bad blood between Blake and long time fans and to me it is a no brainer. they may want to test the water first by having a Blake Legends night first. my guess is Rob will be welcomed with a chorus of boos.

He's one of the great Dmen of all time and did most of it as a King. He's also a King currently. He will be up there if he makes the HoF, which is close to a lock.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
How much of a cut does an agents get off a contract? If its anything substantial it seems like cutting out that middle man gives more money to the players and saves GM's vital cap space.

HolyShot*

All those in favor.... :sarcasm:
No, I work at walmart and a couple of my coworkers are duck fans and one is from the bay area. They always talk ****, but I remind them we won the cup in the most dominating fashion. Then they'll mumble their BS. Its cool. I'm the first one to laugh at them when their teams fail.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
How much of a cut does an agents get off a contract? If its anything substantial it seems like cutting out that middle man gives more money to the players and saves GM's vital cap space.

It's not much but usually depends on whether it's a high-profile player, or even a high-profile agent will ask for more. Last time I talked contracts with my brother he said his agent was getting something like 2%. But keep in mind his agent has about 40 clients and while my bros are usually really easy to handle ECHL deals, some of those 40 odd clients are NHL players. The percentage goes up to probably some around 5-10% for some of those.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
1002116_10151760381419239_210067467_n.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
At least when Dean gives out these contracts, it's to guys who deserve to get paid. Not guys who go around not winning games and putting up meaningless numbers, without contributing anything else.

Good deal.

But I don't want to read anything about what we're gonna be able to do in summer 2014 now. After giving Greene a raise and signing up a Mitchell replacement, we're cap slim. Even with it going up.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site

The following defensemen have been inducted to the HoF since 1991 (Not many):
1991 - Denis Potvin
1993 - Guy Lapointe (D)
1995 - Larry Robinson
1996 - Borje Salming
2001 - Viacheslav Fetisov (D)
2002 - Rod Langway (D)
2004 - Ray Bourque
2004 - Paul Coffey
2004 - Larry Murphy
2007 - Al MacInnis
2007 - Scott Stevens
2009 - Brian Leetch
2011 - Mark Howe (D)
2013 - Chris Chelios
2013 - Scott Niedermayer

I've put a (D) next to the guys who are defensive stay at home D-Men who you can't really compare to Blake statistically.

Of this list of 11 Two-Way DMen, only 6 had more career goals than Blake's 246 Goals. Ten of the 11 had more points than Blake, but he's 17th all-time in points by a defenseman (not too shabby). Blake is also 3rd all-time in PP Goals by a D-Man (136) and 6th all-time in GWG by a defenseman. Despite all the injuries he's 21st in games played by a defenseman all-time and Blake wasn't exactly a poor defensive player either. Quite the opposite in fact. He was a shutdown DMan who always played against the opponents top line.

There are some guys who deserve to get in before Blake IMO...Gary Suter, Sergei Zubov, maybe Niklas Lidstrom if they make Rob wait another 5 years, but I can't imagine a scenario where Rob Blake doesn't get in the HoF. Especially having now worked for the league and staying in hockey the way he has. Again, I don't like how he left the Kings, but I never said the guy wasn't a great hockey player.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
A little off-topic RP, but I really think the avatars of Carcillo's toothless smile rates about the 1, where the awesome chicks rate about a 10.

I miss them.

Agreed. You stuck with such nice avatars for so long. Now you change it daily and it's now the uglies player on the team.

But Ron...you said that damn signature was going away!

One thing that hasn't been said on Brown yet re: the no agent thing, his agent quite frankly isn't very good. He just doesn't represent any big players outside of Brown (if he still does). I'm sure that was a pretty big part in Brown's decision.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Agreed. You stuck with such nice avatars for so long. Now you change it daily and it's now the uglies player on the team.

But Ron...you said that damn signature was going away!

One thing that hasn't been said on Brown yet re: the no agent thing, his agent quite frankly isn't very good. He just doesn't represent any big players outside of Brown (if he still does). I'm sure that was a pretty big part in Brown's decision.

Just because I've never had Lokti doesn't mean they're bad ;)

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Glad to see a player like Brown stick around for awhile. I think Frattin will learn a **** load playing with guys like Richards and Brown...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I remember being really worried we were going to trade him but then this happened.

Likewise, I would not have been happy at all to see Brown moved in order to get Rick Nash (which was the rumor at the time). While Nash can make highlight reel plays, he's also largely ineffective when he's not producing.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Really thought the Max I would give Brown is 4-5 years, but what can you do. Just hope Brown isn't moving like Smyth by the end of this thing.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Code:
Really thought the Max I would give Brown is 4-5 years, but what can you do. Just hope Brown isn't moving like Smyth by the end of this thing.

Imagine Brown's 4m cap hit in terms of the cap size 9 years from now...he'll be paid like a bottom sixer.

He won't be paid almost 7 mil like when we dealt him. That 6+ mil will look like 14 mil in cap in 9 years compared to 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad