Kings News: Kings Re-sign Dustin Brown, 8 Years, $5.75M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If thats the case, then a lot of teams are screwed. Including both teams who got to the ECF last year, Crosby, Malkin, Letang all have huge deals for the Pens, as do Bergeron, Chara and Rask for Boston. What logic!

Exactly! And Chicago with Hossa, Keith, Sharp, Seabrook and now Bickell.

Apparently long-term deals don't stop teams from competing. Who would have thought? :sarcasm:

The following defensemen have been inducted to the HoF since 1991 (Not many):
1991 - Denis Potvin
1993 - Guy Lapointe (D)
1995 - Larry Robinson
1996 - Borje Salming
2001 - Viacheslav Fetisov (D)
2002 - Rod Langway (D)
2004 - Ray Bourque
2004 - Paul Coffey
2004 - Larry Murphy
2007 - Al MacInnis
2007 - Scott Stevens
2009 - Brian Leetch
2011 - Mark Howe (D)
2013 - Chris Chelios
2013 - Scott Niedermayer

I've put a (D) next to the guys who are defensive stay at home D-Men who you can't really compare to Blake statistically.

Of this list of 11 Two-Way DMen, only 6 had more career goals than Blake's 246 Goals. Ten of the 11 had more points than Blake, but he's 17th all-time in points by a defenseman (not too shabby). Blake is also 3rd all-time in PP Goals by a D-Man (136) and 6th all-time in GWG by a defenseman. Despite all the injuries he's 21st in games played by a defenseman all-time and Blake wasn't exactly a poor defensive player either. Quite the opposite in fact. He was a shutdown DMan who always played against the opponents top line.

There are some guys who deserve to get in before Blake IMO...Gary Suter, Sergei Zubov, maybe Niklas Lidstrom if they make Rob wait another 5 years, but I can't imagine a scenario where Rob Blake doesn't get in the HoF. Especially having now worked for the league and staying in hockey the way he has. Again, I don't like how he left the Kings, but I never said the guy wasn't a great hockey player.

Yeah, not intending to start a debate on this, because Blake could both get in or not get in. So it's really just my own opinion. I agree that Zubov deserves to be in more than Blake, and it's guys like him and Suter (though I'd likely put Blake ahead of Suter) that make me question if Blake gets in. I'm happy to be wrong, it only makes the Kings look good.

Btw, I'm not sure how you label Mark Howe a stay at home type. In just his NHL career, three times he scored over a point per game, three times had more than 20 goals in a season and would have almost certainly scored 1,000 career points if he hadn't played the first six season of his pro career in the WHA. Between the WHA and NHL combined he had 405 goals and 1,246 points. If you assumed his WHA numbers would translate to the NHL, only Ray Bourque has more goals (by just five) and only Al MacInnis, Paul Coffey and Bourque have more points. He's the all-time career points leader for D-men in WHA history.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Brown-with-Fans.jpg

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thoughts?

People can say what they will; Brown is our captain and he deserves every dollar he's earned. I would trade one cup for another twenty years of suckage -- we got two. You know what Brown's contract (and not buying out Richards) tells the rest of the league? The Kings are a place you want to be because management is fiercely loyal to the players. Does anyone else remember why the Kings sucked for a really long time? No one wanted to come to LA. That's not the case now, that's for damn sure.

I love Brown. I hope he comes back with a vengeance. It's sad to hear that Richards didn't stay in LA to train, but it speaks volumes that Brown (and others) did and willing to put in the work to be dominant again.

If Brown gets in shape, reward him. Put him on the top line, give him 18 minutes a night, and see his point totals double from last year. That's what I'm hoping for.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Sadly, this was not true. Brown was not the next number to go into the rafters.

We have learned a lot in two years. Mostly that an 8-year deal for any player approaching 30 years of age is a bad idea.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
People can say what they will; Brown is our captain and he deserves every dollar he's earned. I would trade one cup for another twenty years of suckage -- we got two. You know what Brown's contract (and not buying out Richards) tells the rest of the league? The Kings are a place you want to be because management is fiercely loyal to the players. Does anyone else remember why the Kings sucked for a really long time? No one wanted to come to LA. That's not the case now, that's for damn sure.

I love Brown. I hope he comes back with a vengeance. It's sad to hear that Richards didn't stay in LA to train, but it speaks volumes that Brown (and others) did and willing to put in the work to be dominant again.

If Brown gets in shape, reward him. Put him on the top line, give him 18 minutes a night, and see his point totals double from last year. That's what I'm hoping for.

It tells me Dean got too sentimental when it came to Mike Richards.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
my thoughts?, what the ****? just start a new ****ing thread instead of bringing up this old ********.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Doesn't Brown always stay in LA for the summers (or most of it) and Richards always head back to Canada? If so, this is just normal routine and Richards doesn't have to stay in LA to train. He could be in Yubekistan, as long as he's doing some Rocky Balboa type training, I don't care.

As far rewarding Brown, I agree with sticking him on the top line and giving him 18 minutes a night, but it's a short leash. If the production ain't there, drop him down the line up. You don't get to stay on the top line all season because you have a six-pack.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
my thoughts?, what the ****? just start a new ****ing thread instead of bringing up this old ********.

I love the bumps. Reminds us all of our posts and always brings up a chuckle or two. This post also reminded me of how much I miss Puck U around here.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Doesn't Brown always stay in LA for the summers (or most of it) and Richards always head back to Canada? If so, this is just normal routine and Richards doesn't have to stay in LA to train. He could be in Yubekistan, as long as he's doing some Rocky Balboa type training, I don't care.

As far rewarding Brown, I agree with sticking him on the top line and giving him 18 minutes a night, but it's a short leash. If the production ain't there, drop him down the line up. You don't get to stay on the top line all season because you have a six-pack.

But he isn't.

No, Brown often went back to the east coast in the summer to stay with he and his wife's family in upstate NY.

If Richards doesn't recognize the need to train in LA this summer and be monitored by the Kings training staff, it tells me that he isn't really interested in playing for the Kings any longer.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
But he isn't.

No, Brown often went back to the east coast in the summer to stay with he and his wife's family in upstate NY.

If Richards doesn't recognize the need to train in LA this summer and by monitored by the Kings training staff, it tells me that he isn't really interested in playing for the Kings any longer.

And you know this how?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
And you know this how?

Well, let's see. How about evidence from last season, and the belief that a tiger doesn't change his stripes.

The point is Mike Richards no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
So we get at least 3 more years of the core of the Cup winners together. Doughty, Brown, Richards, Carter, Quick, Kopitar, Voynov all signed for great cap hits. Pretty awesome.

What a difference a couple of years makes.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Well, let's see. How about evidence from last season, and the belief that a tiger doesn't change his stripes.

The point is Mike Richards no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

I think this is the real issue. Richards said he was going to train last summer, but whatever he did on his own didn't work. Brown (and others) are staying in LA to show their commitment to improving. That means a lot, to me at least. A big factor for this team could very well be a lack of motivation. This shows me that Brown is a leader.

Look at Gary Roberts. He revitalized his career post-retirement with an incredible commitment to fitness. With proper rest and training this summer, guys might be the most healthy and fit they've been in years. I guess I'm just optimistic.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I will say that Brown while he struggled offensively did still show some flashes of being an effective player. Perhaps a longer off-season will be helpful to getting Brown back up a couple of notches where he can be an effective player.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think this is the real issue. Richards said he was going to train last summer, but whatever he did on his own didn't work. Brown (and others) are staying in LA to show their commitment to improving. That means a lot, to me at least. A big factor for this team could very well be a lack of motivation. This shows me that Brown is a leader.

Look at Gary Roberts. He revitalized his career post-retirement with an incredible commitment to fitness. With proper rest and training this summer, guys might be the most healthy and fit they've been in years. I guess I'm just optimistic.

Luc also hired a trainer one off season and gained some foot speed. It depends on the trainer you hire, that persons knowledge of what type of training needs to be done for a professional hockey player and how seriously the player takes it. It can be done but whatever Richards did last offseason should not be repeated cause it failed miserably. He looked exhausted, unstable on his skates and his shot looked weak.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Not a Richards thread.

Also, start a new Brown thread if you would like to discuss his performance over the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad