Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
I don't see a whole lot of infusion of talent, and least with the forwards. We'll likely be worse short of some good AHL vets being on the team.

I am feeling fairly optimistic ..... there is lots of time and Blake keeps filling in the boxes. I don't see Moulson returning (but what do I know.....lol). I don't know what they will do aboot Sutter or Hensick. I'm not sure they will resign Mersch. One or both of Amadio and Brodzinski will probably stick with the Kings. I am not sure how their contracts are looking but returning forwards may be Amadio, Brodzinski, Maillet, Luff, Wagner, Herr, Crescenzi, Imama, Devane, Auger and with rookie forwards JAD, Eyssimont and Bauman we aren't looking too bad plus Blake may not be finished. We may also see a returning AHL veteran or two....
Again I don't know aboot their contracts but on defense we may have Lintuniemi, Roy, Walker, Macdermid, Subban, Falkovsky and rookies Klague, Strand and Johnson..... I figure Ladue will be with the Kings but if not then even better for us. I don't think they (I hope they do not) resign Fantenberg.
In goal we are golden with Petersen and .....probably Kehler.

Also I trust in Stut's to make it all work....lol

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I am feeling fairly optimistic ..... there is lots of time and Blake keeps filling in the boxes. I don't see Moulson returning (but what do I know.....lol). I don't know what they will do aboot Sutter or Hensick. I'm not sure they will resign Mersch. One or both of Amadio and Brodzinski will probably stick with the Kings. I am not sure how their contracts are looking but returning forwards may be Amadio, Brodzinski, Maillet, Luff, Wagner, Herr, Crescenzi, Imama, Devane, Auger and with rookie forwards JAD, Eyssimont and Bauman we aren't looking too bad plus Blake may not be finished. We may also see a returning AHL veteran or two....
Again I don't know aboot their contracts but on defense we may have Lintuniemi, Roy, Walker, Macdermid, Subban, Falkovsky and rookies Klague, Strand and Johnson..... I figure Ladue will be with the Kings but if not then even better for us. I don't think they (I hope they do not) resign Fantenberg.

The D and G look solid, but JAD won't be eligible to play in the AHL and Amadio and Brodzinski probably will play in LA. Even if you add Rempal, the forward group looks pretty weak.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

There are so many variables in play, it's really hard to see how it shakes out, but as of today (barring trades, additional signing etc) this team will have to find some players to step up to make the offense work. I'm not as concerned about the D, although there will be growing pains. A good chance your top producers at the AHL level will be gone, including Amadio, Brodzinski, Moulson and Mersch. That is a lot of offense to replace and no one except maybe Maillet and Hensick (if they are back, hard to know with AHL contracts) has shown the ability to produce offense consistently when put in a role to do so. You have to hope Luff and Watson continue to make strides, and you have new players coming in such as Eyssimont, Morrison and Rempal and you pray they can quickly transition to the pro game, but it's a huge unknown right now. You won't have JAD or Vilardi down here since they are coming out of juniors and will be 19 years old. The Kings haven't signed Rymsha yet either, so he may not be in their plans for next season. Watson is a wildcard since he produced at the ECHL level, so he will be fighting for a spot too. Pretty young forward group overall. If you have to depend on Sutter and Auger next year (if they are back) to drive the offense, this team will be in trouble.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
There are so many variables in play, it's really hard to see how it shakes out, but as of today (barring trades, additional signing etc) this team will have to find some players to step up to make the offense work. I'm not as concerned about the D, although there will be growing pains. A good chance your top producers at the AHL level will be gone, including Amadio, Brodzinski, Moulson and Mersch. That is a lot of offense to replace and no one except maybe Maillet and Hensick (if they are back, hard to know with AHL contracts) has shown the ability to produce offense consistently when put in a role to do so. You have to hope Luff and Watson continue to make strides, and you have new players coming in such as Eyssimont, Morrison and Rempal and you pray they can quickly transition to the pro game, but it's a huge unknown right now. You won't have JAD or Vilardi down here since they are coming out of juniors and will be 19 years old. The Kings haven't signed Rymsha yet either, so he may not be in their plans for next season. Watson is a wildcard since he produced at the ECHL level, so he will be fighting for a spot too. Pretty young forward group overall. If you have to depend on Sutter and Auger next year (if they are back) to drive the offense, this team will be in trouble.

Oh yeah I forgot aboot JAD being too young for the AHL. I just saw your post on them adding Brad Morrison as a UFA which is to the good. I also liked how Wagner progressed throughout the season...... he looked better and better and it seemed like Stot's started trusting him in more situations. I also forgot aboot Rempal and Watson......Oh course we will just have to wait and see but I'm still looking forward to seeing how they fill out the Reigns roster for next season.....

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers fan here.

We drafted Morrison, so our fans know about this guy. We didn't sign him to a contract, and while I thought he didn't definitely deserve one, I thought we made the wrong decision not to sign him.

Morrison is a very talented and skilled forward. He is a very good skater, stickhandler and playmaker. He has good size, although he could put on some weight. What he needed to work on is that he plays too much of a junior hockey game that won't work in pro hockey, and he should be scoring more for a player whose as talented as he is. He's below-average defensively, but not terrible. I see a wide-range of possibilities from middle six NHL forward to ECHL forward. He's having a great playoffs this season, so maybe he carries that over into next season. He's under-produced for years, considering his talent level, maybe he's starting to figure out how to score more.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kehler might be better off going to the ECHL rather than sitting behind Cal Petersen.

Teams don't want guys in the ECHL. I know Lombardi once said if a player is to be there, have it be a goalie, but even then. Campbell will be #2, unless Petersen steals the job in camp. Campbell still makes $150k in the AHL next year, which isn't too crazy, so that could happen. Who would Blake bring in to be the backup in the minors? Not sure of too many guys that will volunteer for that spot.

Trade Campbell by this time next year, Petersen becomes #2, Kehler is #1 in Ontario for 19-20, with Villalta backing him up. I assume that's the plan at this point anyway, but best laid plans and all that. Only time knows.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Teams don't want guys in the ECHL. I know Lombardi once said if a player is to be there, have it be a goalie, but even then. Campbell will be #2, unless Petersen steals the job in camp. Campbell still makes $150k in the AHL next year, which isn't too crazy, so that could happen. Who would Blake bring in to be the backup in the minors? Not sure of too many guys that will volunteer for that spot.

Trade Campbell by this time next year, Petersen becomes #2, Kehler is #1 in Ontario for 19-20, with Villalta backing him up. I assume that's the plan at this point anyway, but best laid plans and all that. Only time knows.

Their are plenty of scrubs floating around in the AHL, surely an older career minor-leaguer would rather stay in the AHL than take the step down.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Rangers fan here.

We drafted Morrison, so our fans know about this guy. We didn't sign him to a contract, and while I thought he didn't definitely deserve one, I thought we made the wrong decision not to sign him.

Morrison is a very talented and skilled forward. He is a very good skater, stickhandler and playmaker. He has good size, although he could put on some weight. What he needed to work on is that he plays too much of a junior hockey game that won't work in pro hockey, and he should be scoring more for a player whose as talented as he is. He's below-average defensively, but not terrible. I see a wide-range of possibilities from middle six NHL forward to ECHL forward. He's having a great playoffs this season, so maybe he carries that over into next season. He's under-produced for years, considering his talent level, maybe he's starting to figure out how to score more.

Thank you Pavel Buchnevich for you input. It's great to hear from people who have been following players for a while and can give experienced input. I hope he can find some chemistry with some of our young forwards on the Reign. Maybe Austin Wagner and Sheldon Rempal will be a good fit for him.........fingers crossed.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Their are plenty of scrubs floating around in the AHL, surely an older career minor-leaguer would rather stay in the AHL than take the step down.

I don't disagree with your point about AHLer's being potentially available, and wouldn't be surprised if the Reign brought someone in on a tryout, but unless Kehler looks out of his league sort of speak in camp or preseason, I expect him to stay in the the AHL on the Reign to work with Imoo, this is a development league after all, and he'll get plenty of games.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Game #2:

SSM won 4-2, Villalta stopped 36/38. (Series tied 1-1)

Villalta came back with a strong performance. I thought he had excellent rebound control and played his angles well.

A good 60 minute effort by him after being very average in Game 1. You like seeing a kid bounce back like that after giving up a weak one in OT the previous game.

Series shifts to Hamilton for Game 3 (Monday) and Game 4 (Wednesday). I’ll be taking in both, looking forward to it.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Hamilton defeats the Soo 6-5 tonight to take a 2-1 series lead. Villalta was no beuno tonight. Got beat a few times glove side and at points in the game looked lost positionally. 5 of the 6 goals he gave up were shots that beat him up high.

He’ll try to regroup with the rest of the Greyhounds for Game 4 Wednesday night at 7pm.

As an aside, I’m hoping that the Kings have done some homework on Brandon Saigeon. He’s been outsiding this playoff leading the OHL collecting his 15th and 16th of the playoffs tonight. Had a 30+ goal regular season.

He’s been passed up in two drafts. A former top 5 selection in the OHL draft, he possesses a pro shot, has good size and skates fairly well. He looks to be a late bloomer. Consistency has been his issue but he is putting it together at the right time.

Brandon Saigeon - Elite Prospects

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Just got back from the SSM/Hamilton game and Villalta was solid if not spectacular tonight. Saved their season and robbed Ryan Strome with a gorgeous stretch save with less than a minute left in the 3rd period.

He was really strong in the first, had command of the cage tonight. Not tested much in the second but he was stellar in the 3rd, especially after the Dogs tied the game at 2. No chance on the goal as there was traffic in front of him.

Stopped all 10 shots he faced in OT.

Next game is Friday night at 7pm ET in the Soo. Series tied at 2.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
SSM lost 6-4, Villalta stopped 27/32 in taking the loss. (Hamilton leads 3-2)

5 goals against doesn’t tell the entire story. Soo was flat for 50 minutes and turned it up late with 3 unanswered goals in about 6 minutes to cut the lead to 5-4.

He made some nice saves, rebound control was pretty good. Also stopped a penalty shot in the opening frame. I don’t think any of that goals he gave up were bad ones.

Next game tomorrow afternoon, 2pm ET back in Hamilton. Bulldogs with the chance to win that league title on home ice and clinch a birth in the Memorial Cup in Regina.

The building should be jumping, could be about 10k in attendance. Got tickets so I’m looking forward to being in the house. Game is on Sportsnet.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Bulldogs win the game 5-4 and take the OHL Championship and go to the Mrmorial Cup.

Villalta made a stunning glove save in the 1st to stone Robert Thomas. He played well for the first 30 minutes, let in a bit of a softie from inside the blue line, he was in the butterfly and seemed to whiff on a high shot that beat him glove side.

From that point, it seemed to be downhill. The 3rd goal was a howitzer, top shelf to tie the game in the 3rd. The go ahead goal was a wrap around where Villalta got down much too late and the puck slid in 5-hole.

5th goal was EN. Soo clawed back to within one with 45 seconds left but that was it.

He showed some good tools but certainly has to work on his consistency next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad