Kings Power Play: In-Kompon-tence or just never ending Payne?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
BUMP!

I think there are some ECHL teams with a better PP. Not kidding.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Did you guys just hear Jim Fox say the onus is on the players to make the PP work? Based on how succinct he was, it sure sounds like there is a lot of 'talking' around the club about how bad it is and the cause.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Did you guys just hear Jim Fox say the onus is on the players to make the PP work? Based on how succinct he was, it sure sounds like there is a lot of 'talking' around the club about how bad it is and the cause.

he was talking about a discussion he had with DD. drew said the 'onus is on the players' at this point. coaches, strategies, technique is nothing at this point. it comes down to the 5 guys out there executing

HolyShot*

We just don't have the right team identity to have a good PP. The coaches don't care to fix it--theyre still patting themselves on the back from the cup win, and frankly, we don't have the personnel for a great PP.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
We just don't have the right team identity to have a good PP. The coaches don't care to fix it--theyre still patting themselves on the back from the cup win, and frankly, we don't have the personnel for a great PP.

we have the personnel. these guys at times have put some good strings together, so they are capable of doing it. to me it's mentality and misuse of guys.

Richards is the best guy they have to QB the unit, but they don't use him in that role any longer.

Voynov is the second best QB, after MR.

Doughty is a trigger man only and shouldn't be QB'ing the unit, ever. his decision making is to slow with the puck and PK units know it. he regularly gets pinched and causes TO's because of this.

get Carter off the weak side post and into the face off circle, or slot so he has a better angle. the guy has 5-10' leash attached to the post

get Kopitar off the damn half boards. if he doesn't do it, then sit him.

mentality - much of the PP issue is the guys don't do what they have to. ie, Kopitar parking his ass on the half boards

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Y'know what separates Kopitar from being considered an elite productive center? He cannot run a powerplay. He just can't get it done. The Kings need a center who can control the puck and setup the powerplay, and not a single player on this roster is capable of doing so.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
team_america_puke_scene-65695.gif

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
y'know what separates kopitar from being considered an elite productive center? He cannot run a powerplay. He just can't get it done. The kings need a center who can control the puck and setup the powerplay, and not a single player on this roster is capable of doing so.

100%^.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Y'know what separates Kopitar from being considered an elite productive center? He cannot run a powerplay. He just can't get it done. The Kings need a center who can control the puck and setup the powerplay, and not a single player on this roster is capable of doing so.

I'd say more than him not being able to run a powerplay, it's that he, save that amazing goal against Jersey in the finals, is apparently unable to get a one-timer off to save his life. The only one timer I can remember him scoring this year he flubbed it and it ended up as a knuckle-ball rainbow changeup. For all his talent, the dude seriously can't shoot for **** unless it's a wrist shot.

HolyShot*

we have the personnel. these guys at times have put some good strings together, so they are capable of doing it. to me it's mentality and misuse of guys.

Richards is the best guy they have to QB the unit, but they don't use him in that role any longer.

Voynov is the second best QB, after MR.

Doughty is a trigger man only and shouldn't be QB'ing the unit, ever. his decision making is to slow with the puck and PK units know it. he regularly gets pinched and causes TO's because of this.

get Carter off the weak side post and into the face off circle, or slot so he has a better angle. the guy has 5-10' leash attached to the post

get Kopitar off the damn half boards. if he doesn't do it, then sit him.

mentality - much of the PP issue is the guys don't do what they have to. ie, Kopitar parking his ass on the half boards

Who do we have for the two units?
1. Kopitar
2. Brown???
3. Richards
4. Carter
5. Williams--ouch
6. Stoll
7. Doughty
8. Voynov
9. Martinez
10. Toffoli?

That is not that great of personnel when you're talking pp. We don't have the right chemistry and we don't have the skill team identity. We have the grinding, hitting identity still that won us the cup and everyones still in this denial we're a skilled team. Yes we have some skilled players but not in the right mix. Losing penner was a detriment to this team and now were finally starting to see.

Lombardi has to choose: is he gonna turn us into a skilled team, ie chi, pitt, tb or a grinding team ie ana, stl, sj or a crappy hybrid ie. Dal, van, phx.

We don't have an identity. That's why we don't have a pp. How can coaches plan the pp when they don't know who the hell we are? Crash the net or methodical passing???

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
1. Kopitar
2. Brown???
3. Richards
4. Carter
5. Williams--ouch
6. Stoll
7. Doughty
8. Voynov
9. Martinez
10. Toffoli?

That is not that great of personnel when you're talking pp. We don't have the right chemistry and we don't have the skill team identity. We have the grinding, hitting identity still that won us the cup and everyones still in this denial we're a skilled team. Yes we have some skilled players but not in the right mix. Losing penner was a detriment to this team and now were finally starting to see.

Lombardi has to choose: is he gonna turn us into a skilled team, ie chi, pitt, tb or a grinding team ie ana, stl, sj or a crappy hybrid ie. Dal, van, phx.

We don't have an identity. That's why we don't have a pp. How can coaches plan the pp when they don't know who the hell we are? Crash the net or methodical passing???

Disagree the top 8 there should be able to get it done better than at least half the teams in the league. Don't have the right chemistry? These guys have been together for years...for Carter and Richards literally like a friggin decade. If they have not found chemistry on the PP by now they never will.
I worry that other teams will take runs at the kings players and play us very hard knowing that if they get a penalty they will not get burned.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
1. Kopitar
2. Brown???
3. Richards
4. Carter
5. Williams--ouch
6. Stoll
7. Doughty
8. Voynov
9. Martinez
10. Toffoli?

Now I've seen it all... I'd be surprised to learn that Penner averaged more than 10 seconds a game on the powerplay during his time here.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Now I've seen it all... I'd be surprised to learn that Penner averaged more than 10 seconds a game on the powerplay during his time here.

I think he was well utilized as a screen from time to time. still with the group of forward talent we have we should be able to get it done.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
1. Kopitar
2. Brown???
3. Richards
4. Carter
5. Williams--ouch
6. Stoll
7. Doughty
8. Voynov
9. Martinez
10. Toffoli?

i don't know if identity is the right term. i see where you are going with it though and it makes sense. i think mindset is perhaps a better way of describing this.

we know what they are 5-on-5. in PP situations though they have to leave that mindset at the bench, it's destroying them. they have a out manned advantage, so stop playing like you have to grind and cycle the puck down low for opportunities.

for all the depth at C the Kings have, this is where the lack of skilled forwards makes it very apparent. not just in lack of goals, but when you consider how to best use player assets LA comes up short. the lack of a strong top D man being able to QB the #1 unit, means that either Richards or AMart are the best candidates. without digging through a bunch of stats but from the top of my memory, when the Kings get in a PP groove it seems to be with Richards and Martinez being involved up top.

similar to eliminating Sutter's "elite" line, they are better breaking up Kopitar-DD and Richards-Carter. spread out the skill so it is harder for the opponent to defend and pick their poison. it isn't about overloading the skill of one unit (which isn't working), but putting out two units that working parts that may possibly work together. without DD, VV or another Dman being able to QB the unit this means Richards is the best option for one of the units.

by continuing to put 11-77 and 10 out on the #1 unit most of the time. the #2 unit has no C out there that is a threat. Stoll? high and wide Stoll, give me a break. the #2 unit for weeks now has become an afterthought and total mess, because no one out there is taking charge of the situation. i recall to many JW turn overs down along the right wing half boards, with the puck getting cleared out.

CF 1 (Clusterf*** 1 - because LA doesn't have a Power Play)

Brown/King - Kopitar -Toffoli
DD - Amart

* King is there to be the big body down low for screens, corner isolations, etc
* Kopitar is working off the half boards TO THE SLOT, or backside isolation. exploit and crash! don't passively sit on the half boards (Kopitar), or take high angle shots from near the goal line. work the damn slot, or get off the ice.
* TTT in combination with Kopitar are working seams and picks for shots.
* DD is on the left side for one timers and snappers. DD sucks at QB-ing the unit and has never shown the ability to do so since he got here. dude is a great Dman, but this is one skill he doesn't possess.
* Amart up top as the QB of the unit. Alec has shown numerous times he has a good shot up top, makes good and quick decisions with the puck. this is the one skill he has that he surpasses DD, VV and Muffin.
* stop with the dump and chase mentality on the CF unit, because for weeks now neither unit has shown the resolve to chase and outman the PK unit for the puck.

CF #2
King/Brown -Carter -Williams
Voynov - Richards

* swap DB or King Kong. i don't care, because at this point they are interchangeable when it comes to contribution and what they bring. important thing is havoc in the low slot and screens.
* #2 unit runs through Richards on the right point

* both units need to slide the back side D men down more often then they do currently. get the PK unit out of the static box they allow them to play now. get them second guessing, so the points get that extra second now and then. remember the goals Voynov had last season? many of them were him crashing the backside

* if there ever was a time to pour on shots it is during the PP. use that outmanned situation to crash the slot/crease for garbage. they sit and squander 2:00 to often looking for that perfect shot. as a team when your shooting % is as bad as LA's is, you don't have the skill to sit and try pick corners.

* both units need to rotate, crash and move more than they do now. they allow a PK unit to just sit comfortably in their structure. LA does not do enough to cause and create confusion for the PK, because they will sit in the same umbrella, or 2-1-2 structure. lack of movement makes it easy for any PK unit to succeed.

some of my thoughts on what they need to do

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I bet if you took Kopitar off the top PP, it would look much better. Even though he is our best offensive threat, everyone else is way too reliant on him, they give him the puck, then just wait and see what happens.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Losing penner was a detriment to this team and now were finally starting to see.

Ahh yes, losing Penner and his 53 seconds of PP time per game (13th on the Kings) and 14 points is the missing link... :shakehead No matter how many times you say this team misses Penner, who was healthy scratched many times last year and bounced all over the line-up because he couldn't produce anywhere, it doesn't make it true.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
The drop pass coming out of our zone is causing a delay and everyone else ends up being flatfooted on the entry into the offensive zone. I rather have them dump the puck and have 3 guys going hard to retrieve the puck with speed.

It also seems like there is less movement, they have the three guys up top and two in front of the net but everyone is just standing there waiting for something to happen. This team is great at cycling the puck, why not use it to our advantage? Make the PKers move more get tired and then take advantage when they slip up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad