Kings Power Play: In-Kompon-tence or just never ending Payne?

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Its no surprise. We just don't have enough good pp players.

Voynov is a good point man, Richards is ok, Kopitar is horribly misused, as is Carter and we havn't had a net presence since Smyth and to a lesser extent Zeus left

Going to ms paint the set up id like

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What helped with Johnson and Doughty on the point was that they were getting their shots through and that Smyth was always screening Luongo and making life hell for him. They should have Dwight King doing that on the PP.

Not every shot from the point has to be a big blast, and that is part of the problem with them being unable to get pucks on net and getting redirections or rebounds.

I think he's got the hands for it. I'm kind of surprised they haven't tried that yet. Plus, he's a big boy, good luck bumping him around

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
0RU0oOo.jpg

Pretty basic set up that runs through Richards, and gives you 7 pretty simple set plays

1. Richards -> Doughty 1 timer
2. Richards -> Doughty -> Voynov 1 timer
3. Richards -> Doughty -> Voynov -> skate down and fire it towards Carter for deflection
4. Richards -> Kopitar sharp 1 timer
5. Richards -> Kopitar (Carter moves into high slot) -> Carter 1 timer
6. Richards -> Kopitar (Carter moves into high slot, Voynov sneak down low) -> Voynov 1 timer
7. Richards (Carter moves into high slot) -> Carter -> Kopitar 1 timer

But we havn't run any pp set plays since "Kopitar pass to man on goal line, drive net, goal line man pass back to Stoll to 1 timer it into orbit"

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like that diagram and it's simple enough to not **** up--that's where they need to start!

I'd definitely at some point like them to work one in that says "Kopitar you're the trigger man. If the puck is on you stick shoot it and screw everyone else."

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
0RU0oOo.jpg

Pretty basic set up that runs through Richards, and gives you 7 pretty simple set plays

3. Richards -> Doughty -> Voynov -> skate down and fire it towards Carter for deflection
6. Richards -> Kopitar (Carter moves into high slot, Voynov sneak down low) -> Voynov 1 timer

But we havn't run any pp set plays since "Kopitar pass to man on goal line, drive net, goal line man pass back to Stoll to 1 timer it into orbit"

Looks good... You're hired.... Finally someone with a plan other then "possession in the offensive zone"

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
We have a powerplay? But seriously, we need to change up the cycle. Obviously we look to set up the point, get someone in front of the net, and hope for garbage goals. We actually have skillful players, they just aren't allowed to do their thing. We definitely need to jumble things up and start emulating more successful powerplays out there. We have the players and the skill, adding another sniper isn't going to change anything if we don't look at the system, the cycle, and our positional strategy. Just have to wait for Sutter or Payne to realize that.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Putting the puck on Kopitar's stick on the half wall is where PPs go to die.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
0RU0oOo.jpg

I know he's good at deflections too, but I'm not convinced that Carter should be the guy in front of the net, considering his shot.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Putting the puck on Kopitar's stick on the half wall is where PPs go to die.

"I wish Kopitar would be more assertive, go to the net, and shoot more. I'm going to put him on the side of the rink on his off-wing."

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
"I wish Kopitar would be more assertive, go to the net, and shoot more. I'm going to put him on the side of the rink on his off-wing."

As opposed to? His off wing puts his blade in the center of the ice and sets him up for one timers, if he ever knew how to shoot one...

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I know he's good at deflections too, but I'm not convinced that Carter should be the guy in front of the net, considering his shot.

The concept behind that set up is to have Carter drift out into the slot where he can take passes from Kopitar, Richards and Voynov then wrist them in a high scoring area

Not sure if a Kings player can understand the idea of moving being allowed on the pp though, so he will probably just camp out in the crease

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As opposed to? His off wing puts his blade in the center of the ice and sets him up for one timers, if he ever knew how to shoot one...

I think you just responded to your own query!

Don't get me wrong, when he walks to the middle and unleashes his shot, it's great, but how often does Kopi unglue himself from the boards?

Edit: "As opposed to" I would probably try him out a bit in that Richards spot down low by the net for a little bit. I just think if you're worried about a guy being a perimeter player, stationing him on the perimeter isn't going to do much for that

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The concept behind that set up is to have Carter drift out into the slot where he can take passes from Kopitar, Richards and Voynov then wrist them in a high scoring area

Not sure if a Kings player can understand the idea of moving being allowed on the pp though, so he will probably just camp out in the crease

yup, pretty much. There have been a handful of games where the Kings have actually had movement on the powerplay, switching lanes, and making cross seam passes, and they looked unstoppable doing it. Then they go into full Pejorative Slur for 6 months...

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think you just responded to your own query!

Don't get me wrong, when he walks to the middle and unleashes his shot, it's great, but how often does Kopi unglue himself from the boards?

Edit: "As opposed to" I would probably try him out a bit in that Richards spot down low by the net for a little bit. I just think if you're worried about a guy being a perimeter player, stationing him on the perimeter isn't going to do much for that

Well, but putting him on the goal line isn't exactly setting him up to take more shots either. I was more just referring to what else is the coach supposed to do? He puts Kopitar in the most advantageous position to have the whole play in front of him, with his stick in shooting position. Short of Sutter being out there with his arm up Kopitar's ass like a sock puppet, I'm not sure what else he's supposed to do? Actually, I'd pay to see that. They can't score any less, and at least it would look ridiculous... ;)

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The PowerPlay improved 2 yrs ago, when they brought Bernie Nicholls in to work with the unit. Is he still around?

We need players who can put the puck in the net. Toffoli should be out there...even on unit #1. He had 8 pts in a 9 games stretch and 2 games later, is on line 3. Why?

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, but putting him on the goal line isn't exactly setting him up to take more shots either. I was more just referring to what else is the coach supposed to do? He puts Kopitar in the most advantageous position to have the whole play in front of him, with his stick in shooting position. Short of Sutter being out there with his arm up Kopitar's ass like a sock puppet, I'm not sure what else he's supposed to do? Actually, I'd pay to see that. They can't score any less, and at least it would look ridiculous... ;)

While Kopitar's talents are probably best suited to the halfwall his mindset is not. He is content to simply stay on the halfwall or exchange positions with the man in the corner on the cycle. Put him in front of the net, or maybe at the top of the umbrella.

Those are positions on the PP where his best option is to shoot most of the time.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Carter or Kopitar need to circle the net as snipers. Throw King in front, have Richards quarterback it, and have Doughty or Voynov hold down the blue line. But that would probably result in goals and that would be bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad