Kings Power Play: In-Kompon-tence or just never ending Payne?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
No more excuses. They need to have everyone moving, get bodies to the net, and shoot the F-ING puck! I'm sick and tired of watching this b.s. every game. Anaheim scored 3 power play goals last night. We look like a monkey f-ing a football out there.

Mod Note: Merged with existing PP woes thread

Last edited by a moderator:

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Been saying this for awhile but they should move Richards down to the 2nd powerplay line so they have playmakers in both lines. I don't understand why we have the shortest guy on the team trying to screen the goalie on the power play. Move Brown up, have him stand in front of the net. Toffoli, Richards, and Williams on the second line.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Ranked 24 at 15.0%. How many years has the powerplay been garbage? The onus is on the players to drive to the net, crash it, and score dirty goals. Even Sutter said it last night, "when you go to the net good things happen and Stoll was rewarded." I think that should eliminate any doubt that Sutter preaches otherwise. It's become a perimeter passing clinic and they look allergic to crashing the net. I don't buy the talent excuse because this team has tons of talent, regardless of what others believe.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
We have a powerplay?

I don't think what they do is considered a power play ,but I have seen this 'power play' during other NHL games. It requires creativity and fluidity; movement, keeping the D off balance but not standing in the same place.

and that falls under the same director as the offense, Davis Payne. A little thing called video...watch what other teams do that are succesful.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
The lack of one-timers is what's so infuriating. The Kings are masters at accepting a pass, hesitating a split second long enough for the D to get in position, then firing. It's frustrating as hell to watch.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
The lack of one-timers is what's so infuriating. The Kings are masters at accepting a pass, hesitating a split second long enough for the D to get in position, then firing. It's frustrating as hell to watch.

This is what I don't get. Kopi and carter need to be planted at each face off dot and just fire one timers. If the D prevents that it opens a clear lane for the guys up top to get wide open lanes with one guy in front to screen.

There is no excuse for not getting at least a quality shot on the pp, not there stupid ass hold hold hold half ass slap shot that goes wide 90 percent of the time cause they don't have a lane.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
My solution used to be to park Penner's ass in front of the net and have him redirect pucks and screen the goalie. King and Brown should take that on.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Not only does it allow the D to adjust but the goalie as well. so if the shot gets through it is an easier save.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Exactly. They are way too staionary and every team with a video knows that ahead of time. They know Kopi stays on the half wall and passes to the point. That Richards and Doughty will move around onthe point but Muzzin and Slava usually don't.
If this is Payne's idea of a succesful PP, that instead of movement and fluidity, making the D shift , you keep stationary and try to set up the perfect shot, then he's blind. Because it's been poor % most of the year.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Exactly. They are way too staionary and every team with a video knows that ahead of time. They know Kopi stays on the half wall and passes to the point. That Richards and Doughty will move around onthe point but Muzzin and Slava usually don't.
If this is Payne's idea of a succesful PP, that instead of movement and fluidity, making the D shift , you keep stationary and try to set up the perfect shot, then he's blind. Because it's been poor % most of the year.

It seems obvious to me that they really need to mix it up. They can't do any worse than they already have. Unbelievable...

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
What I don't understand is why richards is playing lw on the pp. He has proven hes not a good lw when playing 5 on 5 What make the kings think he can play it on pp? What need to happen is Pearson needs to step up and play the left side with Kopitar. Next carter needs to drop to the second pp and toffolli who has chemistry with Pearson needs to step up and start playing like when he got here. Williams needs to stay away from the pp for a while

Here is what i would like to see
1st
Pearson kopitar toffolli
slava martinez
2nd
brown richards carter
drew muzzin
3rd last few secs
king stoll nolan
sorta all crash the net
mitchell and regher( so they dont get caught when the opponet comes out of the box )

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's usually a sad waste of 2 minutes.

Unless the Kings win the first faceoff in the zone, they seem to take at least the next minute just getting back in the zone. Once they get in, they stand around, and nobody gets in front of the net. If somebody does get in front of the net, he moves.

Then other times, they'll come out with energy, and crisp passing, they'll get shots, they'll drive the net, and look like they have a purpose. Then that purpose sort of fads away for no reason, and you never know when you'll see it again.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

This always amazes me, I understand trying one timers and not succeeding. But they never even try, it's always receive pass and hesitate. I don't understand why they never do D to D one timers since their plan is to shoot from the point 90% of the time

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They have their best weapon and shooter, Jeff Carter, positioned in front of the net as a screen to deflect shots. I don't get that.

The puck should run through Kopitar. He is the player who has to have the puck on his stick. Doughty needs to always be ready to shoot the puck, and they should have Carter open in the high slot area for shots and someone else in front of the net for deflections.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
If you want someone that can shoot off the pass, just trade for Cammy.

He doesn't really fit into our system, but the guy can one time it with the best of them.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
This is what I don't get. Kopi and carter need to be planted at each face off dot and just fire one timers. If the D prevents that it opens a clear lane for the guys up top to get wide open lanes with one guy in front to screen.

There is no excuse for not getting at least a quality shot on the pp, not there stupid ass hold hold hold half ass slap shot that goes wide 90 percent of the time cause they don't have a lane.

This is a good idea but our team does not take one timers and we must shoot the puck high/wide more than anyone in the league. We need to practice wrist shots from the point as then you can get them thru and on net and pound on rebounds but no chance of that when it's shot wide in the first place

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Remember when for five minutes in like the 2010 playoffs where DD and JJ were moving the puck so well against Vancouver (I think it was 2010 and Van) on the PP that our scoring rate was some ungodly number like over 60%.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you want someone that can shoot off the pass, just trade for Cammy.

He doesn't really fit into our system, but the guy can one time it with the best of them.

Very true.

He also needs an almost-ready-to-break stick in order for them to be successful.:help:

ROFL

Remember when for five minutes in like the 2010 playoffs where DD and JJ were moving the puck so well against Vancouver (I think it was 2010 and Van) on the PP that our scoring rate was some ungodly number like over 60%.

Yeah, it was practically a guaranteed goal. We were TERRIFYING. I couldn't believe it.

The bigger problem I have with the PP not scoring is that it's actively killing our momentum in most games. I mean, it's losing the game by itself in some cases (even some SHGs), but it's frustrating dominating a stretch of play for 5 minutes then coughing up momentum when we actually take one of their players off the ice. Something's gotta give at some point.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What helped with Johnson and Doughty on the point was that they were getting their shots through and that Smyth was always screening Luongo and making life hell for him. They should have Dwight King doing that on the PP.

Not every shot from the point has to be a big blast, and that is part of the problem with them being unable to get pucks on net and getting redirections or rebounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad