Kings Power Play: In-Kompon-tence or just never ending Payne?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The drop pass coming out of our zone is causing a delay and everyone else ends up being flatfooted on the entry into the offensive zone. I rather have them dump the puck and have 3 guys going hard to retrieve the puck with speed.

It also seems like there is less movement, they have the three guys up top and two in front of the net but everyone is just standing there waiting for something to happen. This team is great at cycling the puck, why not use it to our advantage? Make the PKers move more get tired and then take advantage when they slip up.

You've gotta do both of those things to keep the D honest though. If all you do is dump it, they'll drop guys back to wait. If all you do is carry it, guys will stand up at the line. The purpose of that drop pass play is to back guys off the line for a carry-over. Kings are getting better at it, but it's still an easy read.

I agree on the movement though. It's getting a little better in spurts, but you can't make the defensive team cycle if they have no intention of leaving their zone.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
you won't really get a PK unit to defend a cycle. they are a man down and get afford to get tied up on the board. the same way you avoid going for a big unit while playing PK, you avoid moving out of position. the PK unit will remain largely in its 'box' to defend the slot/crease area and the passing lanes. they will give up the perimeter where a cycle will typically be worked.

the LA movement is crap, which is why the PP unit is easy to defend. they let a PK unit to remain in its box to easily. the LA unit moves the puck to slow to cause breakdowns, isolated defenders. the LA unit themselves don't move, pivot and crash seams trying to cause the same breakdowns.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Im not suggesting a normal cycle down low in the corner, but I remember that at one point in time they had some sort of cycle movement high on the right side on the PP. One guy in front of the net, one on the opposite point as an outlet or to sneak down for a one timer, and the other three with constant movement and passing to try to open up space.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
When the kings have a power play I change the channel, because it makes me angry to see how pathetic it is. So I haven't watched the kings go on the p.p.'s for the last 3 years.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
There's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said.

Seriously.

:facepalm:

Captain Mittens*

Our power play needs to throw in the towel and do opposite of whatever they would normally do.

It worked for George Costanza

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Seriously.

:facepalm:

Well, I'm gonna say it anyway. Kopitar sucks on the half wall. Put him at the top of and umbrella in the middle of the ice.

Any one else notice the difference with Williams on the half wall with the 2nd unit in terms of how quickly the puck moves and how decisive he is?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Well, I'm gonna say it anyway. Kopitar sucks on the half wall. Put him at the top of and umbrella in the middle of the ice.

Any one else notice the difference with Williams on the half wall with the 2nd unit in terms of how quickly the puck moves and how decisive he is?

to much Drew lately trying to go coast to coast. he did that last night on a PP and it was a train wreck.

I still prefer Richards up top on the #1 unit. I would like to see 11 and 77 constantly in motion through the slot. they continue to rotate through it will cause a break down, because the PK will bite and move with them. as one rotates through the other is either on the half wall, or back side past - gives them an outlet to pass to, or in place to take a rebound.

it's all about motion and movement. last night at the BH's coaching Q&A i was at that was the priority message that Kompon brought up. as much as *****ed about him here and LA's lack of success. for some reason his philosophy here in CHI is working with very good success. that comes down to the players not executing. Drew in a post game last week said the same thing.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Thought the PP mustard up some better chances last night. Actually some one timers, needed to combine it with more traffic in front of the net

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
to much Drew lately trying to go coast to coast. he did that last night on a PP and it was a train wreck.

I still prefer Richards up top on the #1 unit. I would like to see 11 and 77 constantly in motion through the slot. they continue to rotate through it will cause a break down, because the PK will bite and move with them. as one rotates through the other is either on the half wall, or back side past - gives them an outlet to pass to, or in place to take a rebound.

it's all about motion and movement. last night at the BH's coaching Q&A i was at that was the priority message that Kompon brought up. as much as *****ed about him here and LA's lack of success. for some reason his philosophy here in CHI is working with very good success. that comes down to the players not executing. Drew in a post game last week said the same thing.

I never bought into the idea that Kompon told Kopitar to glue his ass to the half wall. I agree it's all about motion and Kopitar on the half wall is where Kings' power plays go to die. He is way too slow in moving the puck, and far too indecisive.

Sounds like you agree with me, Kopitar needs to be forced to be in constant motion. He shouldn't be handling the puck on the half wall. Let Richards or Williams do that. It was really frustrating a little while ago when Kopitar had a decent few games offensively to hear him say that he knows his game and knows when to shoot. No Anze, you don't and you don't shoot enough.

Captain Mittens*

if our power play doesn't have a drinking problem I am on board with our power play doing a shot or two as the opposing player heads into the box

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
In-Kompon-tence or just never ending Payne?

Cheesy title, I know.

We were all (myself included) *****ing about Jamie Kompon, and despite us winning the Stanley Cup, we basically drove him to the airport and let him head to Chicago. We had good cause, Kompon started with the Kings as a PP coach in 2006-2007 (IIRC, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Here's how our PP ranked under him:

2006-2007: 10th (18.3%)
2007-2008: 17th (17.4%)
2008-2009: 14th (19.2%)
2009-2010: 7th (20.8%) First in playoffs at 38.5%
2010-2011: 21st (16.1%) Sixth in playoffs at 20.8%
2011-2012: 17th (17.0%) 12th in playoffs at 12.8%

We actually weren't bad in the playoffs, minus the cup run year, but in the regular season we were middle of the pack and had one good year.

Since Kompon left though and in came Payne, our PP has been:

2012-2013: 10th (19.9%) 9th in playoffs at 17.3%
2013-2014: 26th (14.2%)

Meanwhile in Chicago Kompon has produced:

2012-2013: 19th (16.7%) 13th in the playoffs at 11.4%
2013-2014: 4th (23.4%)

So far we haven't improved without Kompon, if anything we're trending into new low ground here. Kompon hasn't been brilliant in Chicago either, but this season seems to have them clicking.

Now yes, Kompon does have better offensively minded player, but they aren't that much better, certainly not 22 places and 9.2% better than us.

Is it a coaching issue? Since DS came in, our PP has been noticeably worse. We finished 2011-2012 on the wrong side of middle ground, were terrible in the playoffs, weren't much better during last years post-season and have been terrible this year. Does DS have to much of a (negative) influence on this team?

Is it the players? We have a lot of skilled guys, but maybe they are better suited to play a grinding game. Chicago has guys like Kane who can make the opposition move the box around because he's so quick. We don't have anyone who is quick (in tight quarters, not going up and down the ice) and actually has hands.

Bottom line is something's not working and its not onto its second coach. What's the issue here?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Its the players , I actually think Kompon is a really good coach. He had the Kings forwards always prepared . Kompon was very good at figuring out teams breakouts and breaking them up.

He always had the Kings prepared......Payne ? .....the forwards look worse and lost under his guidence.

But I am simply not going to blame it all on Payne, thats two coaches that the PP looks lost......its the players

Kopitar is not a good PP player, neither is Dougty. That's your two highest paid players

Kopitar has a 40 goal scorer wrist shot he hardly ever uses......Drew Doughty doesnt know what wrist shot is...….

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kopitar really has been the anchor who's been dragging the PP down. Look at how he quickly dished off the puck as soon as it came to him. He doesn't take a moment to survey his options, he doesn't hang onto the puck to get the opposing PK sweating a little bit. We all know exactly what he's going to do when he has the puck along the wall, he's going to go back to the point, and that's exactly what he kept trying to do last night as soon as the puck was on his stick.

The center should be dictating the play and where the puck goes when a team has the man advantage, instead, but Kopitar is not taking charge of the powerplay. Until he does, the powerplay will continue to suffer.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I say we forget having a power play unit. Just roll the same lines we do at even strength. It cant be any worse and it will cut down on the line switching after the PP.

Ok i am half joking. But only half

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

P.S. RIP, professor.

Originally Posted by Reclamation Project
Day 658 on Power Play Island. Still no signs of hope on the horizon.

I saw a lot more hope last night, even a sail on the horizon [Williams hitting the post] but Gilligan managed to mess up the rescue once again later in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad