Post-Game Talk: Kings get Kyled by the Jets

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
* A multi-billion dollar industry that revolves entirely around assessment of future probability, that has yet to be spotted predicting one team as better than a 55-45 favorite in overtime.

In all fairness, I think this argument is lacking. The industry would almost certainly give Jets odds worse than 45-55 if they started icing horrible 3v3 lineups (Morrow+Dano+Matthias).

The 45-55 odds are given in the situation where it seems that teams have not really spent much time practising and are basically jut throwing in their best players. We don't actually know how the odds would look if some teams started approaching OT with a more serious attitude. Wouldn't surprise to see me odds in the 40-60 range in such a scenario.

Again, I think OT is pretty much a coin toss and not something to spend much time considering - I just think this particular argument does not really stand up to scrutiny.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
It wasn’t a hard game for a goaltender though. He still makes me uneasy.
Comrie's a rookie with exactly two games of nhl seasoning. he SHOULD make you nervous.
he had a good first period. he wasn't to blame for the Kings' goal. he wasn't really to blame for the chance that Carter missed.
nothing else about his play made me nervous. the KID (23 months younger than Helle) did great. you could see how happy his teammates were for him when he won.

listen...the thing about the Jets is that we're at the tail end of our "draft and develop" plot, but there's still lots of development that's happening. Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Helle and you can toss Copp in there as well. then you toss in Roslovic, arguably Petan, and Comrie into it and you're still growing the team for the future. if that means an inconsequential loss or 4 during the year, what can you do? getting Comrie a few NHL starts means you're in the next stage of developing your assets, either for trade or for an NHL roster spot. right now, we're one Helle tweak away from having Comrie starting in the playoffs. think about that and then thank the lucky stars Comrie's getting some run and that he played a hell of a lot better than he did earlier in the year

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Seriously though. Why doesn't PoMo start with Morrissey and a young speedster every time? Morrissey, KC/Ehlers should be out on the ice in favour of the vets from the go.
I mostly agree with you, but it is not an either/or situation with vets or speedsters.
Little, Connor, Morrissey is a perfect combo of speed, skill and hockey IQ. Ehlers and Armia would also be well-suited to 3v3, paired with Scheifele or Stastny. Wheeler has to learn to count to 40 and go back to the bench before he can play with the other kids.
There is a ton of parity and randomness in NHL hockey, and it takes 20 3-minute overtimes to give the same sample size as a single 60 minute game. No wonder the numbers are lagging behind the eye-test. Despite that--in part because of it--it makes sense have a funamentally good 3v3 strategy, play your best combination of players, change quickly and go with what works, even if the numbers suggest the margins are razor thin.
If Maurice allows Wheeler and Buff out for another 90 second stretch next OT I will be sorely disappointed.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I just think Wheeler and Buff have it in their heads that they can win the 3on3 allstar game crap even tired . Some ego is involved a little but what player of their caliber wouldn't have a bit of a ego . Now come playoffs when we have a real OT if either one does this they should get stapled to the bench by Maurice . I'll say it again also , no way Buff and Sheif are 100% , neither one really attempted a shot last night , they were looking pass first all night .

Reactions: Scheifelaine

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I just don't agree with the Jet's having their top scorers block shots !! I'm sure Wayne Gretzky never blocked shots. The Jets have plenty of blue collar worker type players to do this function.Because the Jets use a collapse style of defense to kill penalties etc.- our guys are way back, and very susceptible to incurring damage from 100 MPH pucks.

All in all, I thought the Jet's totally dominated that game, and outshot LA by 38 to 17, and considering LA is a proven Stanley Cup winner, and their pushing hard for a playoff position, this says a lot about how good our team is. We don't know how good the Jets are when the chips are down, but I think we'll go very deep--maybe go to the Stanley Cup final. :thumbu:

Kyle Connor played great -- we have a lot of scoring depth on this team. Great scouting done by Chevy and his staff -- they have really done their homework.

Note - when you hold a team to just 17 shots, your doing a lot of things right on defense !!!

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I agree with you --I still feel very uneasy with Comrie in net, but he did play ok. He only had a grand total of 17 shots to stop, so he wasn't really tested. I guess what bothers me , is he looks quite small in the net, and lot of open spaces to score over his shoulders when he's in a crouch position.

I hope he totally proves me wrong, and can make up for this with very fast reflexes. We are going to need a "healthy backup" Goaltender. I prefer Mason myself, and he should be ready for the playoffs-- you would think ???

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Great game to watch. The Jets really owned the Kings in the third. I imagine the back to back didn't help, but the Jets were flying. Nice to see Comrie get the win.

We have had a lot of good Buf lately. But I was troubled at how on the Kings goal he was so soft on getting back into the play after getting caught up ice on the 2 on 1. If he didn't stop skating back around our blueline where he just started coasting, he would have been in a position to break up the pass back across the ice that led to the goal. Come on, man. At least make an effort.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
IMG_0728.jpg

I have a bad feeling about this

Reactions: HannuJ

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Great game to watch. The Jets really owned the Kings in the third. I imagine the back to back didn't help, but the Jets were flying. Nice to see Comrie get the win.

We have had a lot of good Buf lately. But I was troubled at how on the Kings goal he was so soft on getting back into the play after getting caught up ice on the 2 on 1. If he didn't stop skating back around our blueline where he just started coasting, he would have been in a position to break up the pass back across the ice that led to the goal. Come on, man. At least make an effort.
Buff has been really good lately, but he was lazy Buff tonight. Never ended up costing us, but I noticed him coasting many times.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One of the few times where I can honestly say all the guys played well. I can't think of any one player that I can single out for a bad game.
Lowery back in his physical form.
Is it me, or is Tanev starting to be more creative with the puck. He's hanging on to the puck more in the O zone' with his quick movements. It looks to me like he's playing with a lot more confidence.
Scheif was more noticable tonight. Another game or two and he will be beasting again, me thinks.
OMG, Morrisey! Need I say more?
Ehlers is going to bust out with a multi goal game soon.
Stastny, Was that a great pick up or what?
Armia could have had a couple tonight.
Sucks that Laine couldn't finish the game, but I'm optimistic he'll be in next game. Too bad his point streak had to end this way.

Myers was not good. Again.

The only one I can think of. I didn't even find anything wrong with Morrow.

Reactions: Jets 31

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
That was a very good draft.

Round 1NHL Totals
RoundNum.Drafted ByPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIMLast Season
11EdmontonConnor McDavidCErie Otters [OHL]19980157237702017-18
12BuffaloJack EichelCBoston University [H-East]1997097167722017-18
13ArizonaDylan StromeCErie Otters [OHL]1811222017-18
14TorontoMitch MarnerCLondon Knights [OHL]1493883121582017-18
15CarolinaNoah HanifinDBoston College [H-East]231166480692017-18
16New JerseyPavel ZachaCSarnia Sting [OHL]131143145472017-18
17PhiladelphiaIvan ProvorovDBrandon Wheat Kings [WHL]155194564522017-18
18ColumbusZach WerenskiDU. of Michigan [Big-10]147255580282017-18
19San JoseTimo MeierRHalifax Mooseheads [QMJHL]105231437572017-18
110ColoradoMikko RantanenRTPS Turku [SM-liiga]1554570115562017-18
111FloridaLawson CrouseLKingston Frontenacs [OHL]836713552017-18
112DallasDenis GurianovRTolyatti (Russia Jrs.)100002016-17
113BostonJakub ZborilDSaint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]
114BostonJake DeBruskLSwift Current Broncos [WHL]64142539192017-18
115BostonZachary SenyshynRSault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL]
116NY IslandersMathew BarzalCSeattle Thunderbirds [WHL]74195473322017-18
117WinnipegKyle ConnorLYoungstown Phantoms [USHL]86272249202017-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Boston.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Had to watch the PVR'd version of the game, crappy when you already know the score.:tvhappy:

Shot that Laine took didn't look any worse than the shots Morrissey, Copp, Tanev or Gramps had been absorbing all season.:booboo:

Howdy Doody looked okay!:ahl:

Has Mo finally realized that Gramps absence from the lineup means diddly squat!:teach:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Had to watch the PVR'd version of the game, crappy when you already know the score.:tvhappy:

Shot that Laine took didn't look any worse than the shots Morrissey, Copp, Tanev or Gramps had been absorbing all season.:booboo:

Howdy Doody looked okay!:ahl:

Has Mo finally realized that Gramps absence from the lineup means diddly squat!:teach:
Oh Armia DID play
:sarcasm:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

As a former goaltender i disagree with this as much as humanly and roboticly possible. Those are tough games for goalies... You want shots on you to keep you in the game... To keep you engaged. I give Comrie big time props for his play last night. Much easier to face 50 shots than it is to face 20

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Myers was not good. Again.

The only one I can think of. I didn't even find anything wrong with Morrow.

Yeah, I thought of Myers after I posted. To me, Myers has a lot I like in the O zone. His problems are mostly in our end. I see it as there are good and bad parts to his game. If he can minimize the bad, he can become a more effective player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad