Post-Game Talk: Kings get Kyled by the Jets

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
One of the few times where I can honestly say all the guys played well. I can't think of any one player that I can single out for a bad game.
Lowery back in his physical form.
Is it me, or is Tanev starting to be more creative with the puck. He's hanging on to the puck more in the O zone' with his quick movements. It looks to me like he's playing with a lot more confidence.
Scheif was more noticable tonight. Another game or two and he will be beasting again, me thinks.
OMG, Morrisey! Need I say more?
Ehlers is going to bust out with a multi goal game soon.
Stastny, Was that a great pick up or what?
Armia could have had a couple tonight.
Sucks that Laine couldn't finish the game, but I'm optimistic he'll be in next game. Too bad his point streak had to end this way.

I came here to give him some props. Is it just me or is Tanev-Lowry-Armia probably one of the best 4th lines in the league? They forecheck hard, cycle well down low and generally just seem to not give opponents D any time/space. Tanev to me has been the surprise, I always thought he'd be a tweener, up and down from the minors, 13th forward kinda thing, I know 4th liner isnt much better than that but he is skating well and hitting everything in sight.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Like I said, the Jets absolutely rag-dolled the Kings last night. Kings were tired, of course, but you rarely see an NHL team dominate another like that, especially in a close game.

We did a similar thing to the Blues earlier in the season and lost 2-0

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
IMG_0728.jpg

I have a bad feeling about this

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I thought of Myers after I posted. To me, Myers has a lot I like in the O zone. His problems are mostly in our end. I see it as there are good and bad parts to his game. If he can minimize the bad, he can become a more effective player.

Agree - but I am liking him in the Dzone less and less. I hope he scores a few more points this year to raise his trade value. I have been insisting that he can't be traded until Trouba is settled. I'm not so sure anymore.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Connor
Ehlers
Little
Morrissey

All really good tonight

Watching Buff and Enstrom play together is fun on nights like that, they really do play well together. Maurice's description of how well they play off each other and continually reverse the puck to beat the Kings forecheck was bang on. It was a big difference in the game after the 1st.

Morrissey is like Houdini in how he escapes from traffic along the wall, and how he manages to slip the puck out to a forward when you think he has no chance. He's been so good.

Myers baffled me at times last night, Morrissey looked bewildered at times as well at some of things he did. Made some good plays at the offensive blue line but in the d zone he was carnage.

Loved how many times the Kings tried to get physical with the Jets and ended up on the wrong side of things. They were bouncing all over the ice after trying to engage. Clear changing of the guard in that respect last night in that respect. LA simply can't push the Jets around anymore and they know it.

Was happy to see O'Connor in OT for a change, kinda worked well. I thought that play on the goal looked somewhat by design.

Would like to see Armia given a chance 3v3, his puck possession is ridiculous at times, he's so hard to knock off the puck.

Forgot Comrie was playing in the 3rd, he had nothing to do.

I think Pate will be fine, but just in case.

tenor.gif

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The Jets scouting staff must literally **** themselves at the draft.

They have been able to look like geniuses with some of their picks.

Winnipeg has been able to acquire some absolute top shelf talent in the draft and specifically in the 1st round.

Yeah, 2015 was an insane draft year in the first round, with many top-6 and top-4 talents to be found even in the latter half of the first round. 2012 though. Yeesh.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Biggest take away from last night...

Don't start the OT with Wheeler, Buff, and Scheif when they are bagged.

Put this on a post-it-note Maurice and stick it on the bench.

Does he need to be reminded every friggin game that goes into OT? Definition of a slow learner!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Pretty soon the OT (if it happens) will start after an 18 minute break while Mr. Zamboni does his thing ;)

Only the NHL would have different rules for OT between the regular season and the playoff's, pretty f'd up if you ask me!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets obliterated a top end opponent in the Western Conference tonight. We corsi'd the **** outta em. We posted 7 high danger chances to their 1 5vs5.

The team continues to do what it's supposed to do to teams who are bad or who are coming into the game at a disadvantage. We pound them with whoever is healthy enough to be in the lineup.

Shout out to Kyle Connor, whom had an amazing game. The guy I watched tonight is night and day from the player who got sent back down to the AHL before the start of the year. I know some still love to **** on PoMo for sending him to the AHL at the start but IMO it was the right call but this kid has elevated his game since he was given the chance and has made himself a everyday top end player. His puck pursuit is so ****ing good now.
Yeah Connor has really figured out quick how to be an effective part of the system and not just a skilled guy. His positioning is really good now.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Just show me the evidence that 3v3 has any significant skill component. Show me what metric with which we can predict OT winners with, say, even HALF of the accuracy that we can predict 5v5 winners. I'm all ears and eyes. And I'd welcome the opportunity. That's because I based my position after reviewing the evidence, not jammed an idea into my superstitious brain after a mighty sample size of 6, and then desperately shoe-horned every observation to spare me the agony of cognitive dissonance; to wit:

"The Jets are 0-6 in OT, that just proves that they're bad in OT"
"The Jets went 3-2 in their next five OTs? My god, how lucky they've gotten for a team that's so bad in OT!"

So yes, I actually would welcome any and all opportunity you can give me to improve my understanding.

Skill has a large component in it. I mean, you won't see Chiarot, Poolman, Tanev, Hendricks, Copp, etc. out over the likes of Little, Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Buff, Enstrom, Trouba, etc. However, this has more to do with their play 3v3 than it does their skill level. The Jets don't prioritise possession in 3v3, which leads to them losing more often than winning. The Athletic did a breakdown on their tendencies vs other teams, and found that the Jets prefer attacking the OZ in less than favourable odds than other teams, who prefer to double back and regroup in the NZ when they can't open up the DZ any.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Only the NHL would have different rules for OT between the regular season and the playoff's, pretty f'd up if you ask me!

It would be pretty f'd up if they allowed 7 period games during the regular season. Imagine if that happened on the first game of a B2B?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Morrow looks to be modelling his game on Big Ben. Simple, straight lines, always keep an eye on Myers (even if you're not playing with him). Like watching a toddler at a pool party.
I'm liking the simplicity of Ben and Morrow. We don't need flashy we need stability.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It would be pretty f'd up if they allowed 7 period games during the regular season. Imagine if that happened on the first game of a B2B?

How about 5v5 in OT in the regular season for 5 min. No goals it gets called a tie! Each team then gets a point.

Reactions: Jets 31

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
How about 5v5 in OT in the regular season for 5 min. No goals it gets called a tie!

According to your criteria that would be f'd up....different rules for the playoffs.

Only other thing that would satisfy your criteria would be to have SO's in the playoffs.

That would also be f''d up

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
At this moment he deserves no more than Ehlers on a long term. however if we have to bridge him for 3 years to keep Stastny he may end up a little higher.

He has had some very incredible opportunity for a young player though. perhaps he realizes this.
Yet, there are many nights where he looks like the best player on that line. He also has not been given as much powerplay time as some other young guys. Most promising players of his ilk on other teams are on their team's first pp unit.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
According to your criteria that would be f'd up....different rules for the playoffs.

Only other thing that would satisfy your criteria would be to have SO's in the playoffs.

That would also be f''d up

5v5 OT in the regular season, no SO, no goal scored after 5 minutes the game is called a tie, in the playoffs OT is played 5v5 until there is a winner as it is now, pretty simple actually! Come on man!

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad