Kings are done

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We should have made the PO in 2015 too, that was a complete fluke.

Last year was deserved.

I wouldn't call it a fluke given how pitiful their offense was, combined with their inability to close games in regulation and their piss poor performance in shootouts. Their performance in the last week of games showed how disengaged that team was.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We should have made the PO in 2015 too, that was a complete fluke.

Last year was deserved.

In a way it was, but they also had every opportunity to control their own fate and flubbed it hardcore (Oilers, Flames games).

Look at this year's stretch in contrast--we were actually in a worse spot needing wins and came through with flying colors.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
2015 was a fluke. No way that Vancouver team was better but they were good in the SO while the Kings just couldn't get one.

The amount of points they still got is usually enough to make the playoffs. Kopitar's down year really hurt but losing Pearson was huge and then having Sekera go down at the end was icing on the cake. Even without Voynov, they should have made the playoffs.

Basically the same team the next season and they get 100 points. Add Lucic but Gaborik falls off and you've got Luke Schenn getting minutes.

Still say the 2015 team was better than the 2016 team.

Last year was a shit show but, like many of us said, Sutter's time had run out and the players played like they hated having to show up.

It's not surprising that they are a playoff team since expecting black hole means you are just outside of the playoffs. The surprising thing is doing it without Carter for most of the year due to Kopitar and Brown exploding. I gave them pretty much no chance of pulling that off but I didn't think Kopitar had this extra gear since he's never been this good in his entire career except for short stretches.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It always amazes me how important emotion and psychology is to these phenomenal athletes. Given the type of dedication and self motivation it takes to play in the NHL, and with such parity in a salary cap league, a bad team atmosphere can lead to your best players regressing.

Based on this teams opening night roster, I expected to make the playoffs. I think I lost faith in that idea at least once but I’m happy they made it and also with how they made it. I give Blake and Luc credit for their decisions and believe they were transparent in making them. At this point I would expect at least 7 games in the first round, regardless of matchup or seeding.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad