Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Keaton Ellerby from the Panthers for a 2013 5th Round Pick

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Bad PR to have a number raised to the rafters while half the crowd is booing. There wouldn't be any Robitaille introductions to confuse the "boos" with the "Lucs" on that occasion.

Regarding Leiweke's statement to Blake, that was also back in the day when Leiweke was more about flash and star power. I think Dean has opened his eyes to another way. No, there shouldn't be any more numbers going to the rafters unless and until it's a home grown player's number with his name on the Stanley Cup as a King.

It was brought up in an interview, maybe the interview Leiweke did with the LA Times, that it will happen someday, but not for a while.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
I really get the feeling that he's going to come in and perform like a younger version of Denis Gauthier. The occasional big hit and brain cramps that are going to make fans wince in both cases.

I'm open to being proven wrong, but that's where I'm putting my expectations.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
I really get the feeling that he's going to come in and perform like a younger version of Denis Gauthier. The occasional big hit and brain cramps that are going to make fans wince in both cases.

I'm open to being proven wrong, but that's where I'm putting my expectations.

nah - Gauthier looked like he was skating in mud. Ellerby has great wheels.

Ellerby also rarely tries to throw a big hit. he plays a conservative game.

captaincheat

Sep 13, 2005
Regina, Sask., Can.
I could never quite figure put why he didn't develop into a top shut down guy. Great size, good passer, grit... I would really like to see him get a shot in LA...a solid coach should be able to help him with making quicker decisions with the puck. He has a bit of a turn over problem....Good luck to you Mr. Ellerby.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not too thrilled about them making him change his number. Just one of those things you can't fight though :( It is going to happen, Blake's number will be in the rafters someday, and the arena will boo while it happens, no matter how long they wait.

I am excited to get Ellerby in our lineup though. I think he will do well here with our system. I am hoping we shakeup our pairings a little bit too. At the very least, find someone new for Voynov.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I could never quite figure put why he didn't develop into a top shut down guy. Great size, good passer, grit... I would really like to see him get a shot in LA...a solid coach should be able to help him with making quicker decisions with the puck. He has a bit of a turn over problem....Good luck to you Mr. Ellerby.

Well he is still developing and still young, only being 24. Usually takes defensive d-men longer to develop. Scuderi & Mitchell could be solid mentors for him. Sutter and Stevens could also lead him in the right direction. Low risk, high reward for the Kings.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Was really starting to question some of the moves Lombardi has made up until this point. But if Ellerby can step in and make a difference, then I'm all for it. We really friggin need the help back there at this point.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Not too thrilled about them making him change his number. Just one of those things you can't fight though :( It is going to happen, Blake's number will be in the rafters someday, and the arena will boo while it happens, no matter how long they wait.

I am excited to get Ellerby in our lineup though. I think he will do well here with our system. I am hoping we shakeup our pairings a little bit too. At the very least, find someone new for Voynov.

You can take that to the bank.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Was really starting to question some of the moves Lombardi has made up until this point. But if Ellerby can step in and make a difference, then I'm all for it. We really friggin need the help back there at this point.

Which moves? The Carter Trade? The Mike Richards trade? The Jonathan Quick signing? Acquiring Willie Mitchell?

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Which moves? The Carter Trade? The Mike Richards trade? The Jonathan Quick signing? Acquiring Willie Mitchell?

Meaning this year. I was skeptical of trading Loktionov as well as losing Hickey to the Islanders (though he really didn't have a choice). I highly doubt we'll make the playoffs this year though because it still seems much of our lineup still has their heads up their ass's.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I lived in Edmonton from 04-08. I watched lots of Oilers games, including tickets throughout their cup run in 06.

If people were saying the knock on Greene was hockey IQ, they were simply wrong. He took dumb penalties since he could not keep up to the play alot of times due to his poor skating. He was always consistent and solid defensively, liked to hit, maybe occasionally took himself out of position to make the big hit, but it was far from any kind of issue.

It was his skating and passing that were the problems always. It's why I believed he would never be able to be more than a shot blocking hitting 3rd pairing defenseman. That's what he is.

Ah, all right. I take your word for it then :) I just remember other Oilers fans saying otherwise. Thank you for the feedback and info!

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Hickey is the more talented of the two (Ellerby and Hickey) but KE brings something that Hickey couldn't and that is some size and some grit.

I keep reading people down on Muzzin and I am sort of stunned by it. He is a true rookie and has played exceptionally well for not having 10 games under his belt this season and less than 20 games of NHL exp in total.

I think he has been playing very well and will be a solid Dman once he gets confidence and time. I can say that for those who want to rush up TT and LV I will give you Muzz as an example of bringing up a young inexperienced kid under less than favorable circumstances.

Muzz would be much better off if we had the ability to have brought him along under better circumstances. Instead we have thrown him into the fire pairing him with our number 7dman most of the time. Like I said all things considered Muzz is doing a very good job.

TT being thrown to the wolves while our forwards are recovering and struggling (largely due to the loss of two of our top stay at home D) would only put too much pressure on him too soon. He wouldn't benefit from fourth line duty nor would he benefit from 3rd line duty under these circumstances either. His time will come and when it does he will get moved around our top 6 and see sheltered time on other lines.

Bringing him or Vey up now and expect them to do anything more than try to survive wouldn't be a smart thing to do. Once we have things rolling again, sure, give either or both of them or anyone else down on the farm their cuppa's but until then why risk ruining these talented prospects? Not a smart thing to do and I am glad that DL is our GM and not prone to panic.

Ellerby is a tweener of a Dman who doesn't do anything above average but he plays well enough to be servicable and possibly more given time. I like this pick up and think it will have a positive effect in more ways than one.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ah, all right. I take your word for it then :) I just remember other Oilers fans saying otherwise. Thank you for the feedback and info!

I just reread that. I was a little harsh. Sorry. I've never seen a lack of hockey sense from Greene, right from his rookie season. It was always skill related, IMO.

A guy like Teubert is an example of hitting defenseman who lacks hockey sense...and therefore is not in NHL.

I just don't think Greene and Ellerby is a good comparison. The FLA fans are using the much less talented Jay Bouwmeester comparison and that's a better one. We'll see soon enough anyways :laugh:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just reread that. I was a little harsh. Sorry. I've never seen a lack of hockey sense from Greene, right from his rookie season. It was always skill related, IMO.

A guy like Teubert is an example of hitting defenseman who lacks hockey sense...and therefore is not in NHL.

I just don't think Greene and Ellerby is a good comparison. The FLA fans are using the much less talented Jay Bouwmeester comparison and that's a better one. We'll see soon enough anyways :laugh:

I didn't take it as harsh, but I appreciate the apology. It's pretty easy to get in heated debates around here ;) We're just going based off of different experiences; you had first hand observations for several years, and I was basing it on what I remember other Oilers fans saying.

Either way, I simply hope he pans out. I was a bit of a draftnik and read a bit about Ellerby in 2007, and he was a player I hoped the Kings would have considered drafting... so I'm pretty excited either way!

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm glad we all can agree now that Muzzin is a waste of roster spot. Nothing against the kid but one month ago, I already said Muzzin had showed me nothing in those few games with the Kings last year. You just could see him brings nothing.

For a pick I like this move very much. I dont think Ellerby is the solution but you always hope a player with that size, draft pedigree etc can improve on a new team. Just like Greene.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I'm glad we all can agree now that Muzzin is a waste of roster spot. Nothing against the kid but one month ago, I already said Muzzin had showed me nothing in those few games with the Kings last year. You just could see him brings nothing.

For a pick I like this move very much. I dont think Ellerby is the solution but you always hope a player with that size, draft pedigree etc can improve on a new team. Just like Greene.

Not so fast there. We all definitely don't agree at all on the idea that a talented kid who is playing in his first 20 games in the NHL and has shown at times that he is very good is a "waste of a roster spot".

Muzzin is a rookie who is being paired with our #7 dman on most nights. He is being asked to step in and fill the skates of one of two of the more critical VET players on our team and so far for being a true rookie he is doing very well.

IF Muzzin were brought in and paired with WM or RS he would be doing even better than he has to date. The problem isn't with Muzzin, the problem is with having a rookie D paired with a #7 dman on a team that is without two of its top D and expecting him to be able to perform like nothing is wrong.

Not to mention the fact that the team has started off struggling too. I am pretty certain that DD would also have struggled a bit under the same circumstances (though differently).

Muzzin is a solid skater who plays good positional hockey but he is a complimentary Dman. As a rookie he should be paired with a stay at home experienced Dman who can keep him settled down and show him the ropes on the ice. Not a player who while good enough hasn't seen too many NHL games over the past couple of seasons himself.

I mean Amart was paired with a solid vet when he came up and so was DD and so was VV, you can't expect miracles from Muzzin when he is paired with DavisD. You just have to hope that he can hold his own which for a true rookie he has.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Not so fast there. We all definitely don't agree at all on the idea that a talented kid who is playing in his first 20 games in the NHL and has shown at times that he is very good is a "waste of a roster spot".

Muzzin is a rookie who is being paired with our #7 dman on most nights. He is being asked to step in and fill the skates of one of two of the more critical VET players on our team and so far for being a true rookie he is doing very well.

IF Muzzin were brought in and paired with WM or RS he would be doing even better than he has to date. The problem isn't with Muzzin, the problem is with having a rookie D paired with a #7 dman on a team that is without two of its top D and expecting him to be able to perform like nothing is wrong.

Not to mention the fact that the team has started off struggling too. I am pretty certain that DD would also have struggled a bit under the same circumstances (though differently).

Muzzin is a solid skater who plays good positional hockey but he is a complimentary Dman. As a rookie he should be paired with a stay at home experienced Dman who can keep him settled down and show him the ropes on the ice. Not a player who while good enough hasn't seen too many NHL games over the past couple of seasons himself.

I mean Amart was paired with a solid vet when he came up and so was DD and so was VV, you can't expect miracles from Muzzin when he is paired with DavisD. You just have to hope that he can hold his own which for a true rookie he has.
Muzzin is useless. I'm not saying he's the reason for this struggle or that he should replace Greene or Michell because this team has quite some more problems currently. He's just useless, no NHL player.

Sometimes I wonder if you get a dollar for every positive review.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Muzzin is useless. I'm not saying he's the reason for this struggle or that he should replace Greene or Michell because this team has quite some more problems currently. He's just useless, no NHL player.

I disagree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Look at all the times people have called Lewis or King "useless" when they were first called up. After a solid playoffs, no one is complaining about either of those guys who first struggled as rookies.

It's too early to judge Muzzin. He could be OK, he could suck, but as some of our roster players have demonstrated, you at least need to give them time before they're evaluated.

On the other hand, judging old vets like Randy Jones and Gauthier as useless is fair game, because their games were already developed and had no room for upside.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

Sometimes I wonder if you get a dollar for every positive review.

So, again YOU know more than DL, our scouting staff including Futa and are able to with so much certainty know that Muzzin, a rookie with less than 20 games of NHL experience who is paired with a player who hasn't seen 40 games of NHL action over the past two seasons is "useless" and "no NHL player", right?

I disagree with you entirely on this. Muzzin is being thrown to the Lions and so far has done very well for a true rookie under these circumstances, especially when you consider who he is paired with and how the rest of out team is playing.

We haven't had even remotely enough of a sample size yet to know rather or not Muzzin will become more than a 3rd pairing Dman in the NHL so again, I am just gonna have to disagree with your assessment at this point.

DL Futa and co have done an exceptional job at picking and developing talent, I am gonna side with them in regards to Muzzin.

As for my positive reviews well sure, I write positive reviews on prospects that I see having NHL talent and I will let my track record stand for itself. I just don't waste my time writing about the prospects that I don't think have what it takes to make it to the NHL and again, I stand by my record.

At the very least we don't "all agree that Muzzin" is anything just yet one way or the other.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Martinez was "useless" in his first call-up as well. I'd say he turned out pretty good, despite a mediocre start to this season. But to be fair, this is Muzzin's second time with the Kings so the comparison isn't quite spot on.

I still think Muzzin has pretty good upside. The problem is now he has to pass through waivers in order to get assigned to Manchester. I doubt he's gonna get any better by sitting as the 7th d-man so their only options are trade him or hope he passes through.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Correct but for every King and Lewis there have been a truckload of other players who were indeed 'useless' after all. Muzzin's play in the AHL was already piss poor, according to the followers. He should at least be a little dominant over there.

Of course you can give any player the benefit of the doubt because "he is still a rookie" and ''he has upside" but I'm a little more outspoken on matters like this.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I like this move on paper. We need a skating D man. Confidence can be built with hard work and he already has some of the essentials to perform well. While he may not transform into a puck carrying d man, I'm sure he'll be paired with someone who can offset it.

I like the fact that he can hit. A punishing D is hard to play against. Brown doesn't hit all the time but people know when he is on the ice. I think the same will apply here. Players like the Sedins who are talented but lack the strength have a harder time against hitting D men, especially when they can skate.

In addition, I think it's good we have a player who will get into the occasional fight. Richards and Clifford will step up but I prefer to spread the wealth some and a 3rd or 4th bottom pair is a better offset as opposed to Clifford who has been a surprise on the offense and Richards who is a threat on the pk.

As long as his gaffs are not the Randy Jones type, I'm fine with this. It would be good to see him develop in the system.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
So, again YOU know more than DL, our scouting staff including Futa and are able to with so much certainty know that Muzzin, a rookie with less than 20 games of NHL experience who is paired with a player who hasn't seen 40 games of NHL action over the past two seasons is "useless" and "no NHL player", right?
Sometimes, yes indeed.

A few years ago, when the Kings acquired Dan Cloutier. I knew we wasted a 2nd round pick after watching a ton of Canucks games on my telly. I was thinking what the **** was going on. GM's/staff can make mistakes and can see things wrong too. Just like me.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Not that I'm saying Muzzin WILL be Rob Scuderi, but to say never is way to harsh. At 24, Scuds was in the minors and didn't even crack an NHL line up until he was 26. He's only been a full-time NHLer since 2005-2006. In fact, if Scuds would have had a full 82 games season this year with the Kings, he'd have officially spent the majority of his NHL career as a King to that point.

Going by Scuds timeline, Muzzin's ahead of the curve.

This is a very good analysis. Muzzin is not fully developed yet. Last few years our defense has been one of the Top Ds in the NHL. That said, our learning curve is going to be harder than most teams because of the expectation. Having lost some solid D men, Muzzin is plug for the hole, but is also learning. He hasn't fully developed and he is being trusted to gain some valuable experience which will help him grow. It's not easy to make that kind of adjustment after losing 2 players who are already set in their roles.

Whether Muzzin continues to grow remains to be seen. He is not being coddled and he is adjusting well but remember he is a new player to the NHL, not a veteran. I remember Doughty was getting ripped apart on these boards when he came into camp slow, overweight etc. Yet, we don't hear about that now because the problem quietly went away, he picked up his game. We don't mention it, it just sort of falls off the grid and now he is playing massive minutes. I don't think Muzzin is our problem right now; I look at the way the whole team is playing and they are not generating enough offense to win games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad