Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Keaton Ellerby from the Panthers for a 2013 5th Round Pick

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I guess the main question I have is why did Florida trade him?

Hard to say, judging my Panther fan's reactions on their board. They sound like us when we dealt Loktionov for a 5th. The initial reaction of everyone, including non Panther fans, seems to be that of surprise.

All that matters is he has it where it counts, which sounds like he is a good skater, can use his size when needed, has long reach and will look for the hit, as well as stands up for teammates, and has a good locker room personality. I think that is all we are looking for in Mitchell/Scuderi/Greene as well. Should fit into that mold nicely.

I am pretty interested in his skating, I'd like to see him with someone like Voynov to be honest.

Scuderi-Doughty
Ellerby-Voynov
Martinez-Drewiske
Muzzin

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Always been a fan of Ellerby. Thought he got rushed in at Florida and it messed with his development a bit. He's come a long way in terms of his own zone play. He's a tough kid, very big, very long. Great reach, the occasionnel big hit, decent shot blocker. This is a solid move really. If he plays well he is an RFA and will likely be a cheap easy resign for a few years until Gravel or Forbort are ready. Change of scenery might help him.

Again, not true.

Has over 170 games in the AHL under belt.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I guess the main question I have is why did Florida trade him?

I think it's one of those situations where Florida wants him to progress into a better player and he won't be doing that within their organization. Same with Loktionov for us.

He's possibly going to be out of the shuffle here in a season or so with the defensive youth Florida has in Kulikov, Gudbranson, Petrovic, and Robak. He's also competing right now with Campbell, Jovo, Strachan, Caruso and Kuba as well.

Just one of those things, contract up at the end of the year...Florida might as well do him a favor and get him somewhere he could make more of an impact before his contract is up.

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
lisa dillman
‏@reallisa
Just chatted w/Dean Lombardi. Dean Lombardi: "Right now we have to operate on the premise Willie and Greener are done for the year."

lisa dillman
‏@reallisa
Note the word 'premise'..Asked him about Mitchell. DL: "Nothing has changed either way."

edit:

add:
lisa dillman
‏@reallisa
DL "If he comes back it's a tremendous bonus. If not, we can't continue to rely on that. We've got to get in that mindset."

More DL: "So that when he (Mitchell) comes back it's almost like a total bonus vs. sitting and waiting and hoping. It does us no good."

Once again, note the word premise. Teams clearly have to prepare for multiple scenarios. Makes more sense than waiting and hoping.

Last edited:

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Again, not true.

Has over 170 games in the AHL under belt.

Yea that's a tough call really. Defensive defenseman need a little more time to develop than other players. Especially someone who relies so heavily on his own end and his skating like Ellerby. The speed of the pro level is just a massive step up.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Yea that's a tough call really. Defensive defenseman need a little more time to develop than other players. Especially someone who relies so heavily on his own end and his skating like Ellerby. The speed of the pro level is just a massive step up.

Not to mention he is a big kid at 6'5" and big players take longer to develop. I followed him a bit before his draft and like him but think that the O projections for him were way over what they should be. He is solid but again, he does everything at an average level.

THat is good for us as we need him to play well in his end and give us a bit of grit. He should be able to do that well enough. Where he fits in down the road will deal with itself.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
But Keaton... Keaton is the real prize to them, for obvious reasons.

It was all Keaton! I didn't know! I saw him die!

Erick*

Ellerby is a good skater, occasionally throws a great hit, willing to stand up for teammates, good character guy.

The negative is that he doesn't really do anything really well. He's considered to be a PMD yet he never scores. Hockey IQ is lacking. Really not all that great defensively.

Maybe he could use the change of scenery. For those asking why he was traded, it was basically a #'s game. He's 8th on the Panthers depth chart and on a 1-way contract. Somebody had to go and they chose him.

Hope that helps.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Ellerby is a good skater, occasionally throws a great hit, willing to stand up for teammates, good character guy.

The negative is that he doesn't really do anything really well. He's considered to be a PMD yet he never scores. Hockey IQ is lacking. Really not all that great defensively.

Maybe he could use the change of scenery. For those asking why he was traded, it was basically a #'s game. He's 8th on the Panthers depth chart and on a 1-way contract. Somebody had to go and they chose him.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the analysis, hopefully we can get his career back on track

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
It sounds like the 5th was the one we acquired from the Devils. So, essentially Loktionov for Ellerby, which is pretty good value.

Agreed. I'd do that swap out any day.

This should be a good move for us. Ellerby could be a great long-term depth option for us. If Mitchell is traded this offseason, or Scuderi walks, we could have: Scuderi or Mitchell/Greene/Ellerby paired with Doughty/Voynov/Martinez, which wouldn't be too bad, especially with Forbort and Gravel in the fold, and Ellerby is considerably cheaper and leaves us open to make a trade as well.

He fights, Johnny Utah should be happy :P:

He also seems to be a decent hitter:

I've had rougher sex than that fight. I loved the bodycheck though. Hate to use the name around here, but it was very Rob Blake-esque.

Most interesting part is that he is related to Shane Doan and Carey Price.

Talk about a hockey family. They say getting a kid to the NHL when compared with the number of kids who play hockey at some point in their youth is as likely as winning the lottery. That family should buy some lottery tickets (not they likely ever need to).

As for Ellerby, he's getting 15:11 in ice time per game, tied with Strachan for 6th on the team. But that's with Gudbrandson only playing one game and Jovo playing just five. Once Gudbrandson and Jovo are back, the Panthers will also have Kulikov, Kuba, Weaver and Campbell, leaving someone as the odd man out. Sounds like they elected to keep Strachan as the #7, like what we did with Drewiske when we waived Hickey.

The ice time for Ellerby has actually been going down in his career, from 16:05 in 2010-2011 to 15:23 last year and 15:11 this year, so I'm not going to expect much from him, other than he'll be rotated with Drewiske and Muzzin, with two of them getting in on the bottom pairing. I'd imagine Muzzin will be the man on the outs, as Drewiske plays over three minutes a game for us right now on the penalty kill.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Can skate and hit, That is sorely lacking on the back end right now.

Muzzin does not bring that. Campbell doesn't ether.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'd much rather have Ellerby than Lovejoy, and they were both just traded for 5th rounders. I like it

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
If he can play defense and kill penalties I'm happy. Bonus if he can stop the cycle and clear the front of the net, and with his size he should be able to. Muzzin wasn't cutting it. Hopefully he's better than Drewiske too.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm guessing that if/when one of Mitchell or Greene return, the Kings will have to move Muzzin or risk losing him on waivers.

Judging from his play this season, I'm not convinced that any club would be very interested in having Muzzin in its everyday lineup.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Do you think the Kings will give him #4? :)

They should. It would be a great statement for the franchise to make and show that the past way of thinking and that culture no longer has a place in the Kings' organization.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sounds like Ellerby can be a serviceable replacement for Greene for the rest of this season. We are still hurting without Mitchell though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad