Confirmed with Link: Kings Acquire Keaton Ellerby from the Panthers for a 2013 5th Round Pick

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
There isn't. Some people around here were thinking that Jake Muzzin would be that player, but sadly, that isn't happening. Muzzin will never be the player that Scuderi is.

Not that I'm saying Muzzin WILL be Rob Scuderi, but to say never is way to harsh. At 24, Scuds was in the minors and didn't even crack an NHL line up until he was 26. He's only been a full-time NHLer since 2005-2006. In fact, if Scuds would have had a full 82 games season this year with the Kings, he'd have officially spent the majority of his NHL career as a King to that point.

Going by Scuds timeline, Muzzin's ahead of the curve.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Hi everybody. Panthers fan here. I was really upset when this trade happened because I have always liked Keaton.I thought this season he was finally getting his feet under him, and well now he is gone. I am not here to rain on your parade, or anything like that but rather just to present my view of Ellerby and why he was dealt.

Ellerby's greatest asset is his skating. He is very fast and has a great stride. It's easily his most valuable asset. He's a big body, but he can stand to be more aggressive. His IQ is likely his weakest part of the game, which is what kept him from progressing in FLA and obviously fulfilling his #10 spot in his draft year. He'll clear the zone nicely on one shift, and then the next pass the puck into the middle of the ice in the defensive zone and turn it over. So it's fair to say that he isn't consistent. I felt like he was hammering out a few of these issues. His offensive game is none. He doesn't have a shot, wrister or slapper, really. He doesn't have the offensive instincts or the on-ice vision to have that type of game. What he does possess is a crisp and accurate outlet pass. He handles pressure alright, but he can cough it up from time to time. He has the ability to make a booming hit and does so every now and then, and it's a real momentum grabber, but it's not often he does it. His hands aren't made of stone either. Last season he deked around a guy going into the offensive zone (can't remember what team), but I was shoked he could dangle the way he did, but that was the only time he ever did it.

It's frustrating because he shows you bits and pieces of what a great player he could have been or could be, but it's the way he processes the game that has stopped it from ever happening. DeBoer nor Dineen ever seemed to trust him, which led to limited minutes and then eventually being passed up the depth chart by Tyson Strachan, and soon to be Petrovic/Robak. I think he could have stood to have a bit more ice-time, but I guess there just wasn't any more room for him. If he gets more playing time with you guys, and maybe a more structured system with Sutter drilling into his head how to play and what to do, he could still possibly turn it around, but I think as it stands he is a good depth guy. If things don't change, it will always be "what could have been" with him.

I sincerely wish you guys good luck with him. I'll be rooting for him, he's a great guy and a great teammate.

Peace.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Hi everybody. Panthers fan here. I was really upset when this trade happened because I have always liked Keaton.I thought this season he was finally getting his feet under him, and well now he is gone. I am not here to rain on your parade, or anything like that but rather just to present my view of Ellerby and why he was dealt.

Ellerby's greatest asset is his skating. He is very fast and has a great stride. It's easily his most valuable asset. He's a big body, but he can stand to be more aggressive. His IQ is likely his weakest part of the game, which is what kept him from progressing in FLA and obviously fulfilling his #10 spot in his draft year. He'll clear the zone nicely on one shift, and then the next pass the puck into the middle of the ice in the defensive zone and turn it over. So it's fair to say that he isn't consistent. I felt like he was hammering out a few of these issues. His offensive game is none. He doesn't have a shot, wrister or slapper, really. He doesn't have the offensive instincts or the on-ice vision to have that type of game. What he does possess is a crisp and accurate outlet pass. He handles pressure alright, but he can cough it up from time to time. He has the ability to make a booming hit and does so every now and then, and it's a real momentum grabber, but it's not often he does it. His hands aren't made of stone either. Last season he deked around a guy going into the offensive zone (can't remember what team), but I was shoked he could dangle the way he did, but that was the only time he ever did it.

It's frustrating because he shows you bits and pieces of what a great player he could have been or could be, but it's the way he processes the game that has stopped it from ever happening. DeBoer nor Dineen ever seemed to trust him, which led to limited minutes and then eventually being passed up the depth chart by Tyson Strachan, and soon to be Petrovic/Robak. I think he could have stood to have a bit more ice-time, but I guess there just wasn't any more room for him. If he gets more playing time with you guys, and maybe a more structured system with Sutter drilling into his head how to play and what to do, he could still possibly turn it around, but I think as it stands he is a good depth guy. If things don't change, it will always be "what could have been" with him.

I sincerely wish you guys good luck with him. I'll be rooting for him, he's a great guy and a great teammate.

Peace.
Thank you for the very detailed and thoughtful write-up. It's much appreciated. :)

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The criticism of Ellerby lacking hockey IQ isn't too different from what we were hearing about Greene when the Kings acquired him. And he was older. Hopefully the trade pans out the same way.

Hockey IQ was never Greene's problem, it was lack of the ability to skate or pass. He's never come very far in that, he is still a below average skater and below average first pass. That's why is no more than a bottom pairing physical defenseman.

Ellerby's game is not in any way the same as Greene, besides a lack of offense. He is a big body, but does not use it as he should all the time. And skating is his strength, compared to Greene where it was his weakness.

This is a good bottom pairing pickup for this year, but it'll be interesting to see where he fits long term. Not sure if I would want Ellerby or Martinez above bottom pairing moving forward...Ellerby might have to compete with Muzzin to be the #7 next year with Drewiske gone..

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think the kings made a great trade here as a young defensive defenseman with top 4 potential is a needed. Bigger defenseman take a while to develope into there bodys Took chara till he was 25 to make a impact. I am no comparing chara game to Ellerby just the fact it took him awhile so theres still hope. I also am glad to here he will stand up for his teamates. We needed more phyiscal play from anywhere in our lineup. I think as said elsewhere that the kings play a more defensive game and it will help him out alot. even if he is only a 6th defenseman he can grow into he top four role in time with mitchell suderi and greene getting up there.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
While Muzzin was decent the first couple games, he has been pretty bad the rest of the way. It seems like his hands are trembling everytime the puck gets close to him. good move getting Ellerby, perhaps this will split up Voynov and Martinez? I hope so.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Steal of a trade for you guys. Think Jay Bouwmeester, he actually has very good hands for a big guy. Never seemed to grow any confidence in his play, his decision making has been suspect, not much of a shot. But great wheels, strong, has the tools.. Just a matter of putting them together. I was a fan of his for sure.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Back when he was traded to Colorado, Leiweke told Blake that his number would be retired someday. (No, I don't have a link.) It's been in the plans for a long time.

Bad PR to have a number raised to the rafters while half the crowd is booing. There wouldn't be any Robitaille introductions to confuse the "boos" with the "Lucs" on that occasion.

Regarding Leiweke's statement to Blake, that was also back in the day when Leiweke was more about flash and star power. I think Dean has opened his eyes to another way. No, there shouldn't be any more numbers going to the rafters unless and until it's a home grown player's number with his name on the Stanley Cup as a King.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I like this move. I expect nothing at all from him offensively, but he'll be that big, mean physical defenseman we need while Mitchell and Greene are out.

He should be a good partner for Slava in the meanwhile.

edit: So I guess this also explains why Campbell was told to keep quiet about being recalled. Knew something was fishy...

Last edited:

Ron*

Bad PR to have a number raised to the rafters while half the crowd is booing.

More like 18,118.

There wouldn't be any Robitaille introductions to confuse the "boos" with the "Lucs" on that occasion.

They may put Luc on the ice at the same time to fake it to the TV audience those are "luuuuc" s they are hearing.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
here's an in-depth scouting report on Keaton:

assets: great skater, strong as hell. he has all the physical tools you want in a defensman - i mean all. he's huge, he can hit like a truck, he can skate as well as almost any d-man in the nhl. from time to time, he'll skate the puck all the way thru the neutral zone like Bouwmeester used to do here....because he can do it.

flaws: he has very little confidence in his puck skills, so while he can skate thru the neutral zone, he rarely does. he also is not going to be much of a contributor in the offensive zone. the "hockey IQ" just isn't there for him. no vision, will never play on the PP.

he doesn't really excel at anything in particular...yet. he can hit like a monster, but rarely chooses to throw them (lack of confidence). he's not afraid to block shots, but isn't particularly good at it (not bad, just not an "expert", per se). he's not bad at moving the puck up ice, but will also turn the puck over from time to time. his positioning isn't bad, but again, you'll see him make a mistake from time to time. he'll hit, and hit hard, but he's not really physical (aka: he doesn't have the chip on his shoulder like a Gudbranson does...not "mean" to play against). He'll fight, but he's terrible at it.

Ellerby, ever since he was drafted was considered a "project" and really still is to this day.

in the end, what you can expect is a usually solid-dman who will leave you wanting more. he'll be a solid 3rd pairing d man for you guys, for now, and i could see him growing into a really good 2nd pairing defensive dman if he can gain a little confidence. the best player i can compare him to right now is a less physical version of Luke Schenn. (both can hit, Schenn just has the snarl Ellerby lacks)

Schenn cost the Flyers JVR. Ellerby cost you guys a 5th. great deal. Hope Keaton does well for you guys.

Jun 30, 2006
Would love for this guy to pull a Quincey, have a great year and then be used as trade bait.

Ellerby seems more like a stay at home D-man that we will actually need with injuries piling up with Mitchell and Greene being done for the year. If Mitchell is out for the season, he could be done as a King.

I think Ellerby will help a lot on the PK and bottom pairing. Sort of taking the Matt Greene role.

RonSwanson*

here's an in-depth scouting report on Keaton:

assets: great skater, strong as hell. he has all the physical tools you want in a defensman - i mean all. he's huge, he can hit like a truck, he can skate as well as almost any d-man in the nhl. from time to time, he'll skate the puck all the way thru the neutral zone like Bouwmeester used to do here....because he can do it.

flaws: he has very little confidence in his puck skills, so while he can skate thru the neutral zone, he rarely does. he also is not going to be much of a contributor in the offensive zone. the "hockey IQ" just isn't there for him. no vision, will never play on the PP.

he doesn't really excel at anything in particular...yet. he can hit like a monster, but rarely chooses to throw them (lack of confidence). he's not afraid to block shots, but isn't particularly good at it (not bad, just not an "expert", per se). he's not bad at moving the puck up ice, but will also turn the puck over from time to time. his positioning isn't bad, but again, you'll see him make a mistake from time to time. he'll hit, and hit hard, but he's not really physical (aka: he doesn't have the chip on his shoulder like a Gudbranson does...not "mean" to play against). He'll fight, but he's terrible at it.

Ellerby, ever since he was drafted was considered a "project" and really still is to this day.

in the end, what you can expect is a usually solid-dman who will leave you wanting more. he'll be a solid 3rd pairing d man for you guys, for now, and i could see him growing into a really good 2nd pairing defensive dman if he can gain a little confidence. the best player i can compare him to right now is a less physical version of Luke Schenn. (both can hit, Schenn just has the snarl Ellerby lacks)

Schenn cost the Flyers JVR. Ellerby cost you guys a 5th. great deal. Hope Keaton does well for you guys.

How good is he on the PK?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hockey IQ was never Greene's problem, it was lack of the ability to skate or pass. He's never come very far in that, he is still a below average skater and below average first pass. That's why is no more than a bottom pairing physical defenseman.

Ellerby's game is not in any way the same as Greene, besides a lack of offense. He is a big body, but does not use it as he should all the time. And skating is his strength, compared to Greene where it was his weakness.

This is a good bottom pairing pickup for this year, but it'll be interesting to see where he fits long term. Not sure if I would want Ellerby or Martinez above bottom pairing moving forward...Ellerby might have to compete with Muzzin to be the #7 next year with Drewiske gone..

One of us must be confused then, because I remember much differently.

I remember the knock on Greene was that he lacked IQ, would take dumb penalties, and would care more about making the big hit as opposed to being positionally sound. And that he had zero offense.

Aside from the skating, he doesn't sound too different than Greene.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
One of us must be confused then, because I remember much differently.

I remember the knock on Greene was that he lacked IQ, would take dumb penalties, and would care more about making the big hit as opposed to being positionally sound. And that he had zero offense.

Aside from the skating, he doesn't sound too different than Greene.

I lived in Edmonton from 04-08. I watched lots of Oilers games, including tickets throughout their cup run in 06.

If people were saying the knock on Greene was hockey IQ, they were simply wrong. He took dumb penalties since he could not keep up to the play alot of times due to his poor skating. He was always consistent and solid defensively, liked to hit, maybe occasionally took himself out of position to make the big hit, but it was far from any kind of issue.

It was his skating and passing that were the problems always. It's why I believed he would never be able to be more than a shot blocking hitting 3rd pairing defenseman. That's what he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad