KHL Season 2017/18

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Krikunov is such a horrible coach, mind boggling is both how he still has a job and how he is the way he is in 2017.. His personnel decisions are just next level of weird.

Just sad to see such a potent roster go to waste.

Nice to see you failing wth your "educated" assesment. It must be sad for you to see them winning. You should really hit the brakes on your haterisms. Krikunov has a job in the league for a reason.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Noticed this last year also, strange that all youtube highlights of games from tiday have < 200/300 views. Barys game 1.5k views. Its like this for every game. I wonder if this is Dawes/Dallman somewhere on social media some fan club or is this actually people in Astana?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Nice to see you failing wth your "educated" assesment. It must be sad for you to see them winning. You should really hit the brakes on your haterisms. Krikunov has a job in the league for a reason.

No, it's nice to see them winning because like I said, this is a great roster and I really like Avto. Jerseys are probably the reason why, but still. Alain Vigneault is easily top 5 NHL coach based on results he manages to get out of his teams and yet he makes well known baffling personnel decisions. Just because good team is winning doesn't mean everything is sunshines and rainbows.

And sure, Krikunov isn't braindead, he moved on from Lyamin-Megalinsky on 1st PP unit to Tryamkin and Vasilevsky yesterday. Still, doesn't change the fact that he was the one to choose Kirill bloody Lyamin with career high of 14 points as his main PP quaterback at the start of the season. And his PP was clocking in at 4%.

It would be great if you could explain it better than "for a reason".

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Noticed this last year also, strange that all youtube highlights of games from tiday have < 200/300 views. Barys game 1.5k views. Its like this for every game. I wonder if this is Dawes/Dallman somewhere on social media some fan club or is this actually people in Astana?

Do you mean in English KHL Youtube?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No, it's nice to see them winning because like I said, this is a great roster and I really like Avto. Jerseys are probably the reason why, but still. Alain Vigneault is easily top 5 NHL coach based on results he manages to get out of his teams and yet he makes well known baffling personnel decisions. Just because good team is winning doesn't mean everything is sunshines and rainbows.

And sure, Krikunov isn't braindead, he moved on from Lyamin-Megalinsky on 1st PP unit to Tryamkin and Vasilevsky yesterday. Still, doesn't change the fact that he was the one to choose Kirill bloody Lyamin with career high of 14 points as his main PP quaterback at the start of the season. And his PP was clocking in at 4%.

It would be great if you could explain it better than "for a reason".

It's so much fun when interwebs experts pretend to know better than actual coaches. Have you ever coached a game? Or could you please give a thought to how stupid you sound when you base your opinion on a player's pts career high?

The only "problem" with Krikunov is that he is an old school coach who demands effort and discipline. Today' kids though are what he gets to work with. They often have no idea how you you spell hard work, are obsessed with their personal image and not dedicated enough. I am not telling you that because I am older. I am telling you that because I know those kids. Whole generations brought up on wrong values. They expect too much to be given to them for granted. Btw the reason why Golyshev was failing hard last season. The players need to buy in into Krikunov's philosopy of everybody fights, nobody quits. If that doesn't happen, Avto will fail. Is it Krikunov's fault of not being child psycologist enough? Yes. But he is still a good coach. It is not the coaches job to make everybody comfortable. And sometimes coache's decisions and experiments aren't the most obvious to players.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's so much fun when interwebs experts pretend to know better than actual coaches. Have you ever coached a game? Or could you please give a thought to how stupid you sound when you base your opinion on a player's pts career high?

Isn't a career high of a 31 old vet based exactly on opinions of coaches who have never utilized him in any offensive role before?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Yes, but isn't there only one KHL youtube? Every video of Barys has 10x more views than anyone else, I cant seem to figure it out.

Ah sorry yes. KHL post both languages on the one account dont they :laugh:

Well 'Never say die' Dawes is pretty popular isn't he

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This game between Vityaz and Barys is kinda symbolic, people (me, at least) didn't expect Vityaz to be so bad and Barys to be so good. Really nice to see Barys being rewarded for the great player selection (they are relying kinda heavily on Dallman and Dietz to be healthy but oh well, that's not the worst bet to make) meanwhile Vityaz Finns are really not impact players at the KHL level which leaves their offense paper thin. I think not a lot of people have realized their awfulness quite yet but they are going to have a sad season.

Then again, this game also shows that scratching those guys really isn't the answer if you want to achieve anything.

Last edited:

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I'm watching the Barys-Vityaz game and Martin St. Pierre's jersey name plate is spelled wrong. It says "St. Pirre". They have a one "e" maximum in Kazakhstan?

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Does anybody have any insight on what is going on with Vladimir Tkachev/Tkachyov this season (Admiral)?
He seemed to be trending as one of the better point producers in the KHL but has been held pointless so far this season.

Thanks

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I've answered it in the other thread, if you didn't see it here it is:

Regarding Tkachyov, entire Admiral team is struggling and so is he. He is no Mozyakin and playing against opponents best every night as Admiral has no depth whatsoever. And Admiral played against really good teams as well for the most part. He should bounce back at home. Still I don't think it's very likely he scores over 40 points.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What was the official reason for switching to NA ice for Amur? Obviously putting visiting teams out of their comfort zone even further favors them but that couldn't be what they explained it.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I've answered it in the other thread, if you didn't see it here it is:

Regarding Tkachyov, entire Admiral team is struggling and so is he. He is no Mozyakin and playing against opponents best every night as Admiral has no depth whatsoever. And Admiral played against really good teams as well for the most part. He should bounce back at home. Still I don't think it's very likely he scores over 40 points.

Thanks for the feedback!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So healthy scratches for CSKA today are Kiselevich, Robinson, Lyubimov, Burdasov, Grigorenko and Andronov. Must be fun to play for them. That's what, 6 million euros combined sitting in the stands? More like 8, most likely.

They are, however, winning because without those names their roster is still stacked. Playing with backup goalie as well, no worries. Fun times to follow this league as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow, Kunlun is now 5-2 and they have yet to play a single game at home. Well, being at home for them means pretty much nothing but still, that's an impressive start.

And as soon as they face some real opposition they are getting whipped. Surely Jokerit and CSKA are really good teams but that 5-2 start was just an illusion created by favorable schedule and luck.

Even though it has to be said they are all over CSKA in the 3rd.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wonder what would make Scrivens stay in his bloody net when there is not reason whatsoever to leave it :laugh: You'd think person learns his lesson at some point.. Nope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad