KHL Season 2017/18

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Another win for Slovan, good to see. I need to drive up to Bratislava to catch a game or two this season. Witnessed retirement of Lubo Visnovsky there, 2 years ago i think, happened right after play off game vs CSKA. Great arena, loved the atmosphere.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kinda weird tournament. Sochi lost to Ufa 11-3 and then beat Ak Bars 5-0 away in the next game. And it was the 1st defeat of the season for Kazan.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
It is still early to judge but things have been surprisingly competitive so far. Other than SKA and CSKA, all teams look like they could beat one another. This could be the best KHL season ever if those two giants were a little less strong.

Ak Bars is without doubt one of the strongest teams in the league but I'm not very surprised to see them lose against Sochi. Yeah, they had a strong start but just look at the teams they faced and all those games were at home. It's kinda strange for Sochi to concede 11 in Ufa and then go win by five in Kazan but stuff like that happens.

Avangard picks up from where they left off. Good against weak and mediocre teams, toothless against big guns. Meh.

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
What you guys think about the Goal/No Goal decision at the beginning of Dinamo Riga-Yaroslavl ?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I kinda agree with no goal, Kraskovsky fell rather easily. At the end of the day it didn't matter though as Nakladal scored seconds later.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't think Torpedo are particularly happy about letting Norman go at this point. Yegor Dugin centering Daugavins and Jeglic entire season? I don't think so.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What you guys think about the Goal/No Goal decision at the beginning of Dinamo Riga-Yaroslavl ?

KHL said that Riga´s coach took a challenge (interefernce of goalie), but they found out that the goal was scored by a hand, so no goal. Of course, I can not verify it because video is blocked :D

source (RUS)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As the dust settled a little bit, Barys is evidently a lot better team than people would have thought initially. In the West, Dynamo looks great as I've said before, there was a stretch last season where they were the best team in the league, it looks like the few losses they have haven't really hurt them and they just picked up right where they left. Really nice to see both these team having unlikely success, lets see how long it lasts.

On the unrelated note, Loko is the most boring team in the league by quite a margin at the moment. Not saying Kudashov is a bad coach because he isn't but I would hate to see him coaching my team. And for the 5th year in a row he's doing the same thing so that's not going to change. Sucks for Kraskovsky, Korshkov and Polunin to be trapped in a system like that as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also Ilya Zubov leading the league in point at the moment :laugh: Kovy-Zubov-Mozyakin fist line in Olympics, book it :sarcasm:

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
Rollercoaster in Chelyabinsk... Metsola chased... Doesn't look good. After Li's 3-1 I was hoping for the third win in a row .... But there's still time

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kiselyov's KHL debut.. Interesting to see how he looks in big leagues, he will have to play a lot of important games for Amur in the long run.

Actually they won't, Andryukhov isn't with the team simply because he played in Universiade, he has the backup's job locked up I'd assume.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
2nd game this season they blew in a final minute. Even worse than Riga who blew 2 games in final 2 minutes.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Wow, Kunlun is now 5-2 and they have yet to play a single game at home. Well, being at home for them means pretty much nothing but still, that's an impressive start. No idea what's so wrong with Vladivostok and Minsk. Sad to see them doing that bad.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Wow, Kunlun is now 5-2 and they have yet to play a single game at home. Well, being at home for them means pretty much nothing but still, that's an impressive start. No idea what's so wrong with Vladivostok and Minsk. Sad to see them doing that bad.

It is a shame for Minsk. Such support and they are usually terrible. They need to find something that works for them.

Kunlun will win the league. Iron Mike doesn't mess around!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

In both cases, it just looks better/worse than it is. Kunlun are yet to play any real powerhouses other than Ak Bars whom they lost to. They had been fed 2 garbage (at the time, at least) teams - Sochi and Lada - and got 8 points out of remaining games with more or less equal opponents. So it's just a combination of good schedule and a bit of luck.

Regarding Admiral, they just suffered from rough schedule, unfortunate injuries and terrible goaltending. And their forward group, lets face it, with Wright injured are bunch of no-names and underachievers past the 1st line. At home things will pick up but they will have hard time repeating last year's success if Bobkov doesn't play at last year's level.

Minsk, however, just dug their own grave. In addition to not being very good their 1C joined the team with a week left til the start of the season and in general team just looks bad. Their schedule was great as well (Spartak, Vityaz, Slovan, Severstal among the teams played). I think they are legitimately at risk of having a terrible season.

It is a shame for Minsk. Such support and they are usually terrible. They need to find something that works for them.

To be honest they had a great season last year. They had a great team last year. This season things are different but hey, they are far from the unluckiest fanbase in the league.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Krikunov is such a horrible coach, mind boggling is both how he still has a job and how he is the way he is in 2017.. His personnel decisions are just next level of weird.

Just sad to see such a potent roster go to waste.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
To be honest I'm not too sure about this. Moment of silence to remember those men - sure. But I don't see much sense in not playing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad