KHL Coverage in North America and Europe

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I would wait for official annoucement of the ESPN+ deal. This should happen sooner than later.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Not at all what I was saying, but go on…
No, you were saying that NHL fans will only be interested in KHL hockey for the 1 month between the start of KHL season and the start of NHL hockey, where I submit that hockey junkies(and degenerate gamblers) will watch(bet) hockey (sports)morning, noon and night.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No, you were saying that NHL fans will only be interested in KHL hockey for the 1 month between the start of KHL season and the start of NHL hockey, where I submit that hockey junkies(and degenerate gamblers) will watch(bet) hockey (sports)morning, noon and night.

And that would not be your average hockey fan: hence my point.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
Anyone saying hockey fans would only be interested from now until the NHL season starts is just flat wrong. I have EPL/EFL soccer games on in the background any time they're on.
I was looking forward to having today's game on in the background and would do that most of the season. I'm a little disappointed the ESPN+ thing didn't work out. I wish there was a way to easily watch Euro hockey leagues.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Anyone saying hockey fans would only be interested from now until the NHL season starts is just flat wrong. I have EPL/EFL soccer games on in the background any time they're on.
I was looking forward to having today's game on in the background and would do that most of the season. I'm a little disappointed the ESPN+ thing didn't work out. I wish there was a way to easily watch Euro hockey leagues.

Anyone who thinks that the AVERAGE NHL fan is doing that is flat out wrong. Yes, die hard hockey fans might put on games whenever they are able to. But your average fan is not doing that.

Let’s put it this way, do you really think that if ESPN did start broadcasting KHL games in September…the viewership numbers would remain unchanged come October and beyond when the NHL season is in full swing?

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
Anyone who thinks that the AVERAGE NHL fan is doing that is flat out wrong. Yes, die hard hockey fans might put on games whenever they are able to. But your average fan is not doing that.

Let’s put it this way, do you really think that if ESPN did start broadcasting KHL games in September…the viewership numbers would remain unchanged come October and beyond when the NHL season is in full swing?
With people still working from home? Yes

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
With people still working from home? Yes

This isn’t the beginning of the pandemic. Schools are full time. Most are working a hybrid schedule at best. Even so, feel free to make a poll on the main board. “Would you regularly be tuning into KHL games aired on ESPN once the NHL season starts.” I think you know the answer.

Lt Frank Drebin

Apr 13, 2020
North Sentinel Island
I’m watching the game live on portable.tv so at least half of the rumor is true. It’s free and has English commentary but the audio is like 20 seconds behind the video. Hopefully they fix that.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I’m watching the game live on portable.tv so at least half of the rumor is true. It’s free and has English commentary but the audio is like 20 seconds behind the video. Hopefully they fix that.
Morozov said to TASS that both are true. According to original statement, ESPN+ should air 50 regular season games, all regular season has 672 games. So, you can expect a KHL game on ESPN+ every day.

KHL Pres Morozov spoke with media today.

Q: Mr Dobrokhvalov (KHL VP for Marketing) said that the KHL signed an agreement with american broadcasters/networks (PLURAL) to air the KHL in the USA. What is your expectation?
Morozov: It is a great for us (KHL) that we can see an interest for our games in North America. The KHL games will be aired more & more in North America starting in the current season.

Q: Do you know what interest for KHL games is in North America? There is the NHL ...
Morozov: You know, if there is no interest, no network/broadcaster would sign a contract with us. Nobody (no network) would buy your (KHL) games, if knowing that nobody (people in NA) will watch them there.

full interview

Last edited:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
KHL Gamecentre appears to be available in the UK again!

£1.19 for the live stream, very nice value

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

The point is that there is a customer base available and as the games are already produced & streamed the marginal cost to add those viewers is nil.
Any customer outside of Russia and environs is found money. Their optimization choices have been rubbish.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
ESPN+ will stream more than 130 Kontinental Hockey League games this season, including all playoff and Gagarin Cup championship games, exclusively in the U.S. on ESPN+. Considered second only to the NHL, the KHL is the premier professional ice hockey league in Europe and Asia, with 24 teams based in Russia, Belarus, China, Finland, Latvia, and Kazakhstan. Throughout the season, ESPN+ will stream two games per week, and all games will be presented in English.

full article

Reactions: Faterson

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Portable.tv is working very well for me in Canada.
Decent quality stream and having English commentary is nice, although the player name pronunciations are rough at times

Reactions: Rigafan and vorky

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Portable.tv is offering fantastic coverage of the KHL in North America. Not just games, but analysis shows also.

Reactions: vorky

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I see the biggest American media shill/apologist for the KHL and all things Russian sport, Gillian Kemmerer, has gone silent. Of course, she may be stuck in Russia, so that would explain it.

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Gillian Kemmerer was last sighted on an Eastern Conference Playoff Preview show on portable.tv. That was four days ago and I notice a Western Conference Playoff Preview show hasn't eventuated.

What is interesting is that Ben Holden has been tweeting a lot in support of Ukraine and he has been one of the lead hockey guys on portable.tv. I wonder if he has ceased his affiliation with the network?

Last edited:

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Looks like ESPN+ has pulled its coverage of the KHL Playoffs, I no longer see the games on their schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00