KHL Contraction Part I (Mod Warning - Post #15)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Based on Morozov's comments about Jokerit today, it seems Jokerit aren't just done for the season but for good in KHL. And Riga also seems done with laws being changed to prevent them from playing in the KHL. I guess it's needless to say that there won't be new teams joining from Europe...

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Jokerit players are available based on rumours, some NHL teams might get good players like O’Neill would be a good depth player, atleast for AHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jokerit players are available based on rumours, some NHL teams might get good players like O’Neill would be a good depth player, atleast for AHL.

Seems he enjoys living in Helsinki quite a lot so it's likely he'll go to another Liiga team, depending on his wage demands.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
My guess is that Barys and Dinamo Minsk will stay in the league. As previous speculations, Kunlun's withdrawal should be self-evident. It will, however, be interesting to see if any Russian teams will fold following the incoming economic impact.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
My guess is that Barys and Dinamo Minsk will stay in the league. As previous speculations, Kunlun's withdrawal should be self-evident. It will, however, be interesting to see if any Russian teams will fold following the incoming economic impact.

I heard on croatian TV last night that Kazakhstan refused to send it's military to Ukraine to aid Russia, so maybe Barys status is also questionable ?!

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I heard on croatian TV last night that Kazakhstan refused to send it's military to Ukraine to aid Russia, so maybe Barys status is also questionable ?!
I thought of this as well and added in the potential prestige in their national team with the heavy naturalization taking place. I don't know, it's really tough to say whether they will stay or not, but since the team is financed with Kazakh money and they are not under sanctions, there is a possibility that they continue to play.

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
I think its safe to assume Jokerit goes back to Liiga, but where does Riga go?

I hope they mold the SHL and Liiga and Riga joins that league but realistically i hope Riga joins Liiga.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

They're playing a balancing act between China, Russia, and the rest of the world. Drifting too far from Russia is not in their interest so I'd suggest Barys is likely to stay.

Reactions: Exarz

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
All the foreign players are screaming now. Their salaries dropped significantly in recent days.

KHL will not be such attractive destination in next season.
I think salaries have mostly been tied to a certain FX-rate since the ruble drop in 2014. The question however is how they will get their money out of Russia...

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
With Jokerit shipping off players, it is pretty much guaranteed that Jokerit won't appear in the KHL next season. The question is where and if they will even play anywhere next season.

I've tried looking through this board and looking for news articles, but I cannot find any info regarding Jokerit's KHL contract. I'm 90% sure the contract ends next season but I cannot find the source for it. If anyone knows, please share it with me!

Edit: I found this article from March 17 2017, stating that Jokerit will at least play the next 5 seasons in the KHL, meaning that the contract would earliest end after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lackhalak and Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
With Jokerit shipping off players, it is pretty much guaranteed that Jokerit won't appear in the KHL next season. The question is where and if they will even play anywhere next season.

I've tried looking through this board and looking for news articles, but I cannot find any info regarding Jokerit's KHL contract. I'm 90% sure the contract ends next season but I cannot find the source for it. If anyone knows, please share it with me!

Edit: I found this article from March 17 2017, stating that Jokerit will at least play the next 5 seasons in the KHL, meaning that the contract would earliest end after this season.

In addition to the Jokerit situation, there's going to be a mass exodus of at least Finnish players. Iltalehti had asked several of them and none of the could even think about playing in Russia next season. Frans Tuohimaa is trying to get out of the country now but doesn't know how.

Reactions: Exarz

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Iltalehti had asked several of them and none of the could even think about playing in Russia next season. Frans Tuohimaa is trying to get out of the country now but doesn't know how.

Finnish embassy also has issued travel warning to Russia stating that all travel should be avoided. Can't see any of the foreign players that are currently with KHL team would want to stay.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad