KHL business aspects discussion

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Assuming salary cap settles somewhere at 11-15m € level + (one star player?) couple of teams such as Ska and Moscow could probably run hugely profitable business considering how large those cities are. Just by sponsor interest money. There is not too much competition in sports side, moscow got few hockey clubs and few football teams I believe. Net salaries would still be high as Russia has very low income tax rate, altought I believe for foreigners there are some certain tax rules. In Finland and Sweden (and especially in denmark) tax rates are ofcourse high, but you can fund (used to be ~100k of a hockey salary in finland i think) and taxes include retirement pension growth. + khl has foreign player limit.

Euro is high currently to Sek and Dollar both. Crude oil is trading high, almost double from 2016 bottom. Crude oil price effect both NHL and KHL trendemously. Canadian dollar follows much oil prices as do ruble.

Last edited:

kometa

@pucksport
Oct 6, 2011
Markranstaedt, Saxony
The new exclusive deal for Germany and Austria with DAZN counts for the next two seasons and includes at least 2 live games per week in the regular season, 4 games per week in the playoffs, All-Star-Game and complete Gagarin Cup Finals. This year's finals rights are on top. Maybe to promote the IIHF World Cup in May, which DAZN als covers from A to Z.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Anyone have a clue on a US streaming option deal? I’m sure this gets talked to death but I don’t post in this section often so bare with me hahah just hate not being able to watch the highlights all year.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So it looks like Slovan gets a big sponsor for the next season, Gazprom Export. Not sure, how big is the deal though.
Slovan revealed the news 2 hours ago. I am not able to find any news at the biggest Slovak hockey/sport websites right now. Only one of other biggest news websites has published the news one hour & 30 minutes after Slovan announced it. Seems, Slovak journalists are on vacations or too busy.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'm very happy that KHL will now be broadcast at DAZN - without laola1.tv it was significantly harder to watch games from abroad. The problem still persists for me since I live in Turkey. For some reason I don't know, regardless of the device or network I'm connecting through, it never works properly. For example, I have a very stable internet connection at around 10Mbps (I hope this term is correct) which allows me to watch pretty much any stream at high quality very smoothly.

I've always looked for a legal, good source of streaming yet legal or illegal - broadcast for KHL is terrible. The only sensible option is to buy the pack via official website yet as I said, it doesn't work. I have absolutely no idea why. On laola1.tv there were no commentators but the stream quality was fantastic. Stable, smooth and reliable.

I really hope they'll take more steps about that. At this moment I couldn't care less about KHL because Stanley Cup playoffs started & I am not interested in SKA or CSKA; but I honestly missed being able to watch Salavat, Admiral, Traktor etc. during regular season without having to think about whether I would be able to find a stream, which is not the case generally, unfortunately.

By the way, speaking of laola1.tv, does anyone know why they took KHL off the list? Is it that their agreement basically came to an end? If this is the case, why didn't they opt to renew it? I don't want to jump to conclusions but I feel like it might be KHL itself who wanted to not stream their games for free anymore. "OK, we have you enough time to get accustomed to the league. Now, if you wanna follow, gotta pay money!" which makes perfect sense. But only when you can get an actual stream after the payment, huh.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I'm very happy that KHL will now be broadcast at DAZN - without laola1.tv it was significantly harder to watch games from abroad. The problem still persists for me since I live in Turkey. For some reason I don't know, regardless of the device or network I'm connecting through, it never works properly. For example, I have a very stable internet connection at around 10Mbps (I hope this term is correct) which allows me to watch pretty much any stream at high quality very smoothly.

I've always looked for a legal, good source of streaming yet legal or illegal - broadcast for KHL is terrible. The only sensible option is to buy the pack via official website yet as I said, it doesn't work. I have absolutely no idea why. On laola1.tv there were no commentators but the stream quality was fantastic. Stable, smooth and reliable.

I really hope they'll take more steps about that. At this moment I couldn't care less about KHL because Stanley Cup playoffs started & I am not interested in SKA or CSKA; but I honestly missed being able to watch Salavat, Admiral, Traktor etc. during regular season without having to think about whether I would be able to find a stream, which is not the case generally, unfortunately.

By the way, speaking of laola1.tv, does anyone know why they took KHL off the list? Is it that their agreement basically came to an end? If this is the case, why didn't they opt to renew it? I don't want to jump to conclusions but I feel like it might be KHL itself who wanted to not stream their games for free anymore. "OK, we have you enough time to get accustomed to the league. Now, if you wanna follow, gotta pay money!" which makes perfect sense. But only when you can get an actual stream after the payment, huh.

The KHL extended an agreement with Lagardere in summer 2017, see. The new agreement is exactly like you wrote - earn some extra money from broadcasters. So, the league is not interested in packages like with Laola in the past. When did Laola broadcasting stop? Last summer? This season, as part of the Lagardere deal, geo-blocking started in Central Europe, Canada, the US as I know. Regarding Central Europe, old KHL deal run out after 2016/2017, new deal was signed in summer 2017 & seems, they included streaming rights, aka geo-blocking, for teritory of Central Europe (SVK, CZ, HUN). Sad news is that local broadcaster does not have a streaming service as I know. Viasat Finland has it.

At least UK´s FreeSport & the DAZN bought the KHL rights for Gagarin Cup 2018. I expect geo-blocking of khl.ru for UK, GER, AUT since new season. We will see.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
So it looks like Slovan gets a big sponsor for the next season, Gazprom Export. Not sure, how big is the deal though.
Circa 14M EUR. Not a big deal as such, but the most important thing is that the finance and salaries should be finally (perhaps first time ever?) stabilized during the whole season, and therefore some conceptual work will be possible.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

While its good for the KHL expanding its TV deals its not good for the UK. As I've mentioned previously the company behind FreeSports (Premier Sports) are terrible. Generally don't keep their word and like to cut live games to show Nascar and other random stuff.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Great press-conference by Avangard´s coach Hartley, CEO Krylov & President Sushinsky, here. All you need to know is to listen to Hartley, so all in English. They announced new approach towards a work with fans & bussiness, so being like SKA in both departments. Good to hear.

Reactions: Rigafan

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Iltalehti told us today than Dynamo Moscow left 30M € of debt behind simply by changing the company name from OHK Dynamo Moscow to AO Dynamo Moscow. Apparently they did the same thing once before, when the "merged" with HK MVD. How is this possible in any serious ice hockey competition? And does this give precedent to all KHL teams, from now on, to do same thing, when the debt is too much? Can for example Admiral Vladivostok start next season debt free with the name Admirals of Vladivostok? Or is there just different rules to Moscow teams? In Finland if a Liiga team cannot deal with their debt, they will be kicked out of Liiga.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Iltalehti told us today than Dynamo Moscow left 30M € of debt behind simply by changing the company name from OHK Dynamo Moscow to AO Dynamo Moscow. Apparently they did the same thing once before, when the "merged" with HK MVD. How is this possible in any serious ice hockey competition? And does this give precedent to all KHL teams, from now on, to do same thing, when the debt is too much? Can for example Admiral Vladivostok start next season debt free with the name Admirals of Vladivostok? Or is there just different rules to Moscow teams? In Finland if a Liiga team cannot deal with their debt, they will be kicked out of Liiga.

You should look into UK hockey and you'd be in for some nightmares then! Teams changing 'company' names to avoid debts and starting a fresh the next season is almost a yearly thing in the UK.

I guess that, technically, its legal? But then if that is the case, and it's common knowledge, why do the sponsors and suppliers still sponsor and supply the team? If they said 'no, you are scammers!' the team couldn't operate anyway.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Face-off: Finnish hockey team could sue newspaper for Putin image on emblem

Jokerit are considering sueing some Finnish newspaper for abusing their logo - they put Puts head inside of Jokerits logo.

I find it interesting how they've got annoyed over this as without the Russian money Jokerit wouldn't be able to compete? But anyway here you go.
Harkimo won a legal battle with some Finnish company a few days ago. The case is about selling the Hartwall Arena to Timchenko/Rotenberg.

Of course, @Jussi will correct me :D

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Face-off: Finnish hockey team could sue newspaper for Putin image on emblem

Jokerit are considering sueing some Finnish newspaper for abusing their logo - they put Puts head inside of Jokerits logo.

I find it interesting how they've got annoyed over this as without the Russian money Jokerit wouldn't be able to compete? But anyway here you go.

According to a few legal experts, they wouldn't have much chance of winning. Using the logo in a parody sense is not considered a serious trademark violation. It's also ironic that while the article apparently just covers stuff that the hardcore hockey fans already know, but general public might not, the Jokerit response is very Russian government like. Attempting to silence any critical reporting, which many Jokerit fans (even pro-KHL) have already noted as being embarrassing.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Harkimo won a legal battle with some Finnish company a few days ago. The case is about selling the Hartwall Arena to Timchenko/Rotenberg.

Of course, @Jussi will correct me :D

Different issue. It was about Harkimo buying Sanomat shares without revealing his intent of selling them further or something like that. And that was settled 3 years ago, not days.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Different issue. It was about Harkimo buying Sanomat shares without revealing his intent of selling them further or something like that. And that was settled 3 years ago, not days.
I am sorry I was wrong with the date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad