KHL 2015-2016 General Discussion

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Common sense? What's the point of commemorating every season. :laugh:

No, simply there is a risk that every time a player falls it may seem like FOREVER
sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.u3.jpg

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Barys gave the game to Magnitka on two defensive zone turnovers from Lakiza and Kairov after Rudenko had put them ahead with a nice goal on a slick feed from St. Pierre.

Also, weird to see Zherdev and Barulin in Sochi. It's like the old Atlant team all over again.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Gimaev is an idiot once again with this. I love the man. He's always on a 50/50 pace. One good thought and then some complete BS.

Gimayev is right on this one. The limit must be raised. Limit of 10 might be too high but 7-8 would be just about right.

There are not enough good Russian players right now to fill the Russian KHL teams with current foreigner limit. It is sad that players like Andrei Kostitsyn have to sit out and watch the game from the stands because they cannot play due to this limit. Instead teams have to play with some average VHL player.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I disagree with you. It is a show anyway and its quality must be improved

It can't be improved by invinting foreign players. How exactly should it work? Are you suggesting there are tons of talented players outside the KHL who are better than their russian counterparts?

The limit is good as it is.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Gimayev is right on this one. The limit must be raised. Limit of 10 might be too high but 7-8 would be just about right.

There are not enough good Russian players right now to fill the Russian KHL teams with current foreigner limit. It is sad that players like Andrei Kostitsyn have to sit out and watch the game from the stands because they cannot play due to this limit. Instead teams have to play with some average VHL player.

Complete nonsense. There are more than enough russian talent there. And Andrei Kostitsyn ofall people is not the player I desperately want to see now. His best days are way over.

Come on. Let's play this game. Name players who are not in the KHL who would make the league better and are willing to play in the KHL.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
There are more than enough russian talent there.
I don't think there is. Poorer teams like Amur and Kuznya would benefit if they could get more foreign players because these teams are the ones who are left with very average players after their first lines.

And Andrei Kostitsyn ofall people is not the player I desperately want to see now. His best days are way over.
He is still a better player than the third and fourth liners in Torpedo. His presence in the line up would make Torpedo a better team.

Come on. Let's play this game. Name players who are not in the KHL who would make the league better and are willing to play in the KHL.
There are lots of good AHL players and good Liiga and SEL players who would improve a lot of KHL teams.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't think there is. Poorer teams like Amur and Kuznya would benefit if they could get more foreign players because these teams are the ones who are left with very average players after their first lines.

This is nonsense. They have the players they have because they don't have the money to sign star players, russian or foreign. What's the point? Extend the limit so they can sign AHLers nobody ever heard of to their top lines?

You need better proof? Look at Medvescak. They don't have the limit. What's wrong with their top lines? By your logic all foreign teams should be doing great with no limit. Isn't it obvious? Once the money was gone their top players were gone. It has nothing to do with the limit.(Yep, got beaten by that same Amur at home today)

He is still a better player than the third and fourth liners in Torpedo. His presence in the line up would make Torpedo a better team.

I for my part would never sign a Kostitsyn, even aside from the fact that they never were that great. It's a character thing. Btw, Torpedo does have a good team this season. I don't think that roster desperately needs Andrei Kostitsyn to be better. It's also singling out a case. The whole situation goes back to the legal squabble between the sports ministry and the league in which obviously the league is the good guy and the ministry just ***s things up for no reason. The case has nothing to do with the whole limit situation in general. I think I made my point pretty clear. Sidney Crosby is not coming over to play in the KHL, so who are those tremendously talented players kept out of the league by the foreigner limit?

There are lots of good AHL players and good Liiga and SEL players who would improve a lot of KHL teams.

Let me show you what you are doing.

There are a lot of good VHL players who would improve the KHL teams if there weren't the foreigners who can't be cut from the roster just because they are taking the limit spots.

This is just talk. Talk is cheap.

1.There are no good AHL players for that role. Good AHL players will play in the NHL or they aren't that good.

2.I think it's useless to discuss Liiga and SEL aren't KHL level, while their top teams aren't much worse. Still, who are those players? The better ones either go to NA or sign in the KHL well with in the limit. I highly doubt there are more players there who are good enough to really improve KHL rosters.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
So Neftekhimik beat Yugra today and Tim Kennedy and Jeff Taffe each had an assist. I'm interested to see how these guys do in the KHL. Taffe was over a PPG in the SHL last year, and Kennedy was a pretty solid AHL scorer. These could be good buys for a team like Neftekhimik.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Let me show you what you are doing.

There are a lot of good VHL players who would improve the KHL teams if there weren't the foreigners who can't be cut from the roster just because they are taking the limit spots.

This is just talk. Talk is cheap.

1.There are no good AHL players for that role. Good AHL players will play in the NHL or they aren't that good.

2.I think it's useless to discuss Liiga and SEL aren't KHL level, while their top teams aren't much worse. Still, who are those players? The better ones either go to NA or sign in the KHL well with in the limit. I highly doubt there are more players there who are good enough to really improve KHL rosters.
Given that the teams don't have to sign foreign players to reach the limit, your argument is really moot. If the teams think non-Russian players aren't going to improve the roster, they're just not going to sign them, because not only do they have enough Russians, the latter are also cheaper, since they're home grown players already living in the country. The only reason for keeping the limit is to aid the development of Russian hockey and to guarantee Russian players get the chance to play. The quality of the league would obviously be greatest if there was no foreign player limit, since the teams could then sign the best players they could afford, be it Russian or foreign. So I'm not really sure what you're arguing for here, given that you didn't invoke the Russian player protection card.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
This is nonsense. They have the players they have because they don't have the money to sign star players, russian or foreign. What's the point? Extend the limit so they can sign AHLers nobody ever heard of to their top lines?

I partially agree with Atas on this one. While there're a select few teams that could really sign 20 good foreigners, most teams would just replace average Russians with average NA players for whatever reasons, trying to find gold in the dirt. They may slightly improve the league level, but it would lead to even more young players pursuing NA careers, creating a vicious circle as there would be even less skilled Russians in the KHL system. There's also less money in KHL salaries now, which would make KHL contracts less lucrative for some players.

This situation is a result of FHR's heavy influence on the league that started after the Vancouver loss. I'd be happier to see KHL and FHR completely separated now, but federation won't give up with no fight, obviously.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I partially agree with Atas on this one. While there're a select few teams that could really sign 20 good foreigners, most teams would just replace average Russians with average NA players for whatever reasons, trying to find gold in the dirt. They may slightly improve the league level, but it would lead to even more young players pursuing NA careers, creating a vicious circle as there would be even less skilled Russians in the KHL system. There's also less money in KHL salaries now, which would make KHL contracts less lucrative for some players.

This situation is a result of FHR's heavy influence on the league that started after the Vancouver loss. I'd be happier to see KHL and FHR completely separated now, but federation won't give up with no fight, obviously.

What do you think about latest changes in FHR? I mean Arkady Rotenberg vision and new Pravlenie FHR. It seems KHL guys control FHR now (Rotenbergs, Kurbatov, Chernyshenko, Medvedev etc)

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't think it would make the KHL oppose the FHR again.

Chernyshenko is a business man who knows a lot about marketing and presentation, not a hockey star who's been through everything (a la Fetisov). He's claimed a lot of times that he intends to work in a collaboration with the Ministry of Sports and FHR, and I think the KHL will focus on cleaning up the inevitable mess Medvedev's rapid development created.

Medvedev is too busy in Gazprom, today's situation doesn't leave him a lot of time for the KHL-FHR feud. He's also somewhat in a doghouse after Russia's disappointing performance in Sochi hockey tournament (though undeservedly).

Kurbatov has claimed he's satisfied with the relationship between the league and the federation etc.

After the #1 hockey fan said that a strong league means a strong national team, I think the priorities are quite obvious and set at the level higher than the KHL management.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I disagree with you. It is a show anyway and its quality must be improved

you are right, what is the fear? If a team thinks a foreigner will make them better, why the hell would anyone not want to watch a better team, no logic what so ever in opposing that.

If there aren't any better foreign guys than Russian guys, then the Russian teams will just default to using Russian players, since they will be cheaper all else equal(foreign guys will demand a premium to play in Russia). I'm sure most teams would use only 1 or 2 extra foreigners anyways.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow what a goal Medvedev just scored. Even though it's kinda his go-to move from MHL days still damn impressive.

Overall, some fancy goals being scored in the KHL. Aaltonen and Da Costa yesterday, this one now :handclap:

P.S. In before it doesn't as the stick seemed to be a little too high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad