KHL 2015-2016 General Discussion

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
First week interesting games:
8/24 - KHL Champion SKA st. Petersburg open the season vs Regular season Champion CSKA Moscow.
8/25 - Barys Astana opens there new arena vs Mike Keenan's Metallurg MG.
8/25 - Spartak Moscow returns to the KHL hosting Dynamo Minsk.
8/26 - Dynamo Moscow opens up there new Arena vs. Eastern Conference Champions AK Bars Kazan.
8/27 - First all Moscow match-up CSKA hosts Spartak.
8/27 - KHL in Finland: Jokerit opens up at home vs Torpedo.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Can car producer sponsor KHL club in new season? Look at Nissan and Citroen at Jokerit, Medvescak jersays

lkgDmkfTNLE.jpg

SfRRxC__CJk.jpg

bishonen91

Jun 22, 2012
same as last 2 seasons - there is mobile, car and beer as sponsor on medvescak preseason jerseys...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What do you mean?

KHL had Chevrolet as sponsor in previous seasons, it was exclusive deal, so Chevrolet logo was on ice in every KHL arena. That means that KHL clubs could not sign sponsorship deal with car producer in previous seasons. It seems this exclusive Chervolet deal is history, because Chevrolet is not among KHL sponsors anymore. I think. We will see, but I think, that clubs can sign sponsorship deal with car producer, see Medvecsak and Jokerit. Or Citroen and Nissan are sponsors only for pre season games?

Today was a preseason presser, btw video is on KHL russian twitter account from periscope. New sponsors of KHL are Rostelecom, Haier and some gas company.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What do you mean?

I think Jokerit deal is basically local or Finnish dealership. Not Chevy type. Chevy are basically a non-factor in Europe anyway, GM shutdown their plant in Russia earlier this year already. Man United deal is pretty much their only presense in here and I still wonder why they paid so much for that. :laugh:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I don't think this would go down well with the players nor increase the leagues lure.

Obviously some talent will choose to leave, but by now league should have enough of a reputation as the strongest in Europe to attract best talent in Europe just by this fact alone. Theoretically teams might owe less in salaries in future. Wage drop should happen sooner or later.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Obviously some talent will choose to leave, but by now league should have enough of a reputation as the strongest in Europe to attract best talent in Europe just by this fact alone. Theoretically teams might owe less in salaries in future. Wage drop should happen sooner or later.

The non-Russians go there for the money, not for the quality. Several Finnish players, even those currently playing in the league, have publicly admitted it. Finnish hockey magazine Jääkiekkolehti has a section where each month they highlight an under 18 year old prospect, one player said his future career plans hopefully include playing in the NHL and if he can't make it there, then "to go play in the KHL for a few seasons and get my retirement money".

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Jokerit. I'm 99% sure that Nissan ad is only for preseason ...as they dont have deal with Nissan. They have deal with Autokeskus retailer which has also Nissan brand and team's imports drive with Qashqais.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The non-Russians go there for the money, not for the quality. Several Finnish players, even those currently playing in the league, have publicly admitted it. Finnish hockey magazine Jääkiekkolehti has a section where each month they highlight an under 18 year old prospect, one player said his future career plans hopefully include playing in the NHL and if he can't make it there, then "to go play in the KHL for a few seasons and get my retirement money".

That was few years ago, which is long time in KHL's lifespan. I think the league has put alot more roots in Finland specially after Jokerit joining in. Not that it has "roots" in way compare to Liiga, but I hope you get the point. First seasons, it was just the money, but these days most players do comment that they want to face highest competition they possibly can, that's why they are in KHL. That is more what it is today.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
That was few years ago, which is long time in KHL's lifespan. I think the league has put alot more roots in Finland specially after Jokerit joining in. Not that it has "roots" in way compare to Liiga, but I hope you get the point. First seasons, it was just the money, but these days most players do comment that they want to face highest competition they possibly can, that's why they are in KHL. That is more what it is today.

Don't forget that the league is constantly improving in terms of infrastructure, arenas and team bases, attendance, management, and more professional approach all-around. This things help to legitimize KHL as the best league in Europe more than just money.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah, I heard it was coming. It will get some getting used to.

WeAre

Sep 20, 2014

That is ******** again from Jussi. :shakehead Those players who aim to play in NHL go play to KHL because of the quality and its best way to develop and break trough. Finnish players don't just go to KHL to get retirement money if they don't have skills.

99,9% of finnish Möttönen/Töppönen (typical finnish woodhanded player) will not play in KHL. Their career starts and ends in Luga with 70-100 000 euro/year salary. Don't listen to jussis crap.

OscarP

Jul 11, 2012
Riga
Based on the opening game SKA vs CSKA, could it be that finally.. FINALLY they are taking of the ugly green megafon ads from the jerseys? because neither of the teams had them.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah. Their partner sponsor contract has expired, and they're one step below now as a supplier.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That is ******** again from Jussi. :shakehead Those players who aim to play in NHL go play to KHL because of the quality and its best way to develop and break trough. Finnish players don't just go to KHL to get retirement money if they don't have skills.

99,9% of finnish Möttönen/Töppönen (typical finnish woodhanded player) will not play in KHL. Their career starts and ends in Luga with 70-100 000 euro/year salary. Don't listen to jussis crap.

This was reported even last year/season by several surveys done by Finnish medias among the Finnish players. When I have time, I'll look up the exact issue and player who said the retirement comment. For some reason I'm thinking it was Henri Ikonen but not sure at all. NHL is where they go for prestige and money, KHL is where they go for the money.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Based on the opening game SKA vs CSKA, could it be that finally.. FINALLY they are taking of the ugly green megafon ads from the jerseys? because neither of the teams had them.

Looks better by a mile immediately:
1123993_3.jpg

Smallish Rosneft logos are OK. The next step is getting rid of those stupid watermarks.

The KHL website has been totally changed...
Photo bank is still unnavigable, and the personal stat pages are still unreadable. A lot work 2 do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad