Khan with some Trade Deadline Updates

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like the hold up is on Yzerman's part. Holland either wants a 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick and a prospect, hopefully Cal Foote.

I'd have to guess Cal Foote holds pretty equal value to a 1st rounder by himself? I mean he was a 1st rounder, and he is having a pretty good +1 season. I might not even be opposed to doing that 1:1.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd have to guess Cal Foote holds pretty equal value to a 1st rounder by himself? I mean he was a 1st rounder, and he is having a pretty goo d+1 season. I might not even be opposed to doing that 1:1.

I'd rather Cal Foote than their first. This should be a deep draft for defense but I don't think we'll get a better D than him at 26-31 OA. He'd be a really nice addition to our D core too as he could be that more steady D for guys like Hronek, and Saarijarvi (and hopefully Brannstrom/Hughes). I doubt he's on the table though. If we get a 2nd+prospect I expect it to be one of Tampa's tier 2 guys (Hajek, Stephens) opposed to their best prospects (Raddysh, Foote, Howden).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'd have to guess Cal Foote holds pretty equal value to a 1st rounder by himself? I mean he was a 1st rounder, and he is having a pretty goo d+1 season. I might not even be opposed to doing that 1:1.

I am with you. I don't see how a first-round pick that shows above average development in his +1 season is worth less than a first-round pick.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Nyquist <> Tolvanen (Nashville)
Glendening <> Kapanen (Toronto)
Green <> 1st 2018 (Tampa Bay)

Summer moves:
Nielsen <> Lucic (Edmonton)
Zetterberg retires.
Kronwall LTIRetires.

2018-19 Red Wings:

Lucic - Larkin - Mantha
Tatar - Athanasiou - Abdelkader
Tolvanen - Rasmussen - Kapanen
Bertuzzi - Turgeon - Helm

DeKeyser - Daley
Cholowski - Jensen
Ericsson - Hronek

Goalies.

0% chance Nashville moves Tolvanen for Nyquist. Tolvanen is tearing it up this year, looking like a top 10 talent from last year's draft, perhaps even top 5.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Custance is suggesting Green and Mrazek are the most likely to be traded. Nyquist is a guy who should generate interest. Nearly everyone else who would be considered on the market has too much term and salary, a Kenny special. Glendening could be moved if the Wings eat $800k so he can be sent down with no cap implications, but it sounds like Wings have no interest in eating salary.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Custance is suggesting Green and Mrazek are the most likely to be traded. Nyquist is a guy who should generate interest. Nearly everyone else who would be considered on the market has too much term and salary, a Kenny special. Glendening could be moved if the Wings eat $800k so he can be sent down with no cap implications, but it sounds like Wings have no interest in eating salary.
While the return should be worthwhile - a subjective notion that varies in nature from deal to deal - if Detroit is patently refusing to eat salary across the board, that's a huge mistake. Use any and all tactics possible to improve the team long term.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Glendening with 1.8M is a bad value or does need retention. On many organizations that's a pricetag for a great and experienced 4th line center.

Like for an example, Maple Leafs Dominic Moore costs 1M and they want an upgrade. Huge surprise, upgrades will cost more. :teach2:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Where did you read this?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't think Glendening with 1.8M is a bad value or does need retention. On many organizations that's a pricetag for a great and experienced 4th line center.

Like for an example, Maple Leafs Dominic Moore costs 1M and they want an upgrade. Huge surprise, upgrades will cost more. :teach2:
Custance talks to actual GMs and Asst GMs. With Glendening the term is too long for a 4C. With a $1m salary you can make the contract disappear off your cap hit. That's what teams will likely want to take on that term.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd have to guess Cal Foote holds pretty equal value to a 1st rounder by himself? I mean he was a 1st rounder, and he is having a pretty good +1 season. I might not even be opposed to doing that 1:1.

I doubt Foote is available for Green unless Tampa is certain he signs a contract extension.

I don't think they are that interested in including Foote in any of their trade discussions from what I have read.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
His latest article for the Athletic.
Where did you read this?
Pure speculation on Custance's end.

That said, contending teams are usually more eager to add defensemen and centermen this time of year, which make Glendening a player of interest at the trade deadline. Yes, he comes with a cap hit of $1.8 million through 2020-21, entirely too much term for a fourth-line player. One solution, and this is just a suggestion, would be for the Red Wings to retain $800,000 of that salary so that acquiring teams would have the option to send Glendening to the minors without any cap implications. That removes the risk of term and adds the kind of depth centerman teams love to have in the playoffs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Sens’ Hoffman seems less likely to move - Article - TSN
Glendening has drawn interest from the Toronto Maple Leafs, as reported on Friday. Coach Mike Babcock said recently “the people that need to know, know” when asked about his trade wishes.

Well, now we know one of them. Glendening, 28, broke into the NHL under Babcock in 2014-15. The idea would be for Glendening to replace oft-scratched centre Dominic Moore on the fourth line.

The belief is the Maple Leafs offered a fifth-round pick for Glendening, while the Red Wings countered by asking for a second-round pick. Talks were tabled at that point, with the Leafs unwilling to pay that price. Glendening has three years left on his deal at $1.8 million and the Red Wings are amid a rebuild.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Lou is delusional if he thinks that Glendening is only worth a 5th round pick, No reason he can't get us a 3rd round at the very least good for Holland to ask for a 2nd. Luke doesn't have to be moved right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If I'm KH I'm telliong Lou to get f***ed as well. No reason to trade LG for a 5th. 3rd is the absolute minimum.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pure speculation on Custance's end.

That salary retention talk is total bullshit speculation, because Glendening is 100% sure gonna be TOP12 roster player for rest of his contract, without any need to send him on the minors.

That speculation is just off. Totally. Stupidity.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
A 5th is more than fair for a locked up 4th line plug. If we can get any more than that, great. But come trade deadline day, that’s the best offer we get? Take it and run. Bring up Turgeon.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
A 5th is more than fair for a locked up 4th line plug. If we can get any more than that, great. But come trade deadline day, that’s the best offer we get? Take it and run. Bring up Turgeon.
Perhaps, but if you think Glendenning is worth the same as Scott Wilson and that much less than Tomas Jurco, you are clearly a lot of wrong.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If I'm Holland I don't trade Glendening for less than a 2nd or maybe a high 3rd, if some team owns someone else's pick.

I'll trade Helm, ZERO retained for a fifth,
$1M retained for a 2nd.

Someone needs to get me credentials to the NHL GM message board :)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Perhaps, but if you think Glendenning is worth the same as Scott Wilson and that much less than Tomas Jurco, you are clearly a lot of wrong.
Ive watched this guy for his entire career, same as you, presumably. He is an average 4th liner who is having a decent season, he’s usually a pretty good PKer who is a possession black hole that also gets hemmed up in his own end just about every shift. I don’t dislike Luke, he has his role, but he’s locked up for several years and not getting younger. He is a replaceable player, and if a team is willing to offer anything for him, as a rebuilding team and with a younger player sitting in Grand Rapids waiting to replace him; get whatever other teams are offering, get out of that nearly $2 million dollar a year contract, and take the pick. I don’t care what Jurco or Wilson returned.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
We have zero reason to trade Glendening for cheap. Khan mentions Kapanen being a potential target.I really doubt Glendening gets traded. The Wings like him quite a bit and he still has term; your going to have to convince them to move Glendening

Kapanen is a starting point, that's all.

Lamoriello would need to go 'full Holland' to make that deal. Nobody ever goes 'full Holland', and for good reason.

Glenny is good, but he's no Legwand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad