Khan with some Trade Deadline Updates

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Green+3rd to TB for Foote. Done.

#14 overall pick, he's massive at 6'4" and clearly has an offensive mind in him too. Scraps a couple times a year and hopefully he has a bit of a temper like Dad. Sign me the heck up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey guys, seems the feeling is that Glendening is likely becoming a Leaf over the next week.

Obviously Leafs have started low (a 5th) and Holland came back with a higher offer (a 2nd) which isn’t really a shock. It’s negotiations.

Ultimately, I can see some sort of deal around Glendening and a 6th for a 3rd or something like that. However, the point of this post isn’t to debate the ultimate deal.

It’s to discuss him.

A lot of the Toronto media has looked at his CF% and melted down. Despite his 5v5 CF% being in the 46-47% range, which while not great, isn’t bad on the 4th line of a lower scoring team (no offense intended).

As I dive deeper, which our media for some reason doesn’t, because they are thirsty to criticize the management team for their own egos, I start to realize his analytics are fine. In fact, they are fine.

His xGF% is really good (3rd on the Wings) and he largely starts in the defensive zone and faces decent enough competition. He draws more penalties than he takes by a good margin. Add that to his value he brings in the faceoff dot, and the PK and he’s a solid player.

And sure, your 4th line center being signed for another 3 seasons is something you would rather not have, but it’s not like the Leafs have any sort of 4th line centre in waiting anyway. Gauthier appears to have blown his chance and Babcock has been trying to replace Moore all season.

So tell me, is there something I am missing?

It seems our media is just looking at his lowish CF%, as well as the one game against us were his CF% and have written him off.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: 21 Savage

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Hey guys, seems the feeling is that Glendening is likely becoming a Leaf over the next week.

Obviously Leafs have started low (a 5th) and Holland came back with a higher offer (a 2nd) which isn’t really a shock. It’s negotiations.

Ultimately, I can see some sort of deal around Glendening and a 6th for a 3rd or something like that. However, the point of this post isn’t to debate the ultimate deal.

It’s to discuss him.

A lot of the Toronto media has looked at his CF% and melted down. Despite his 5v5 CF% being in the 46-47% range, which while not great, isn’t bad on the 4th line of a lower scoring team (no offense intended).

As I dive deeper, which our media for some reason doesn’t, because they are thirsty to criticize the management team for their own egos, I start to realize his analytics are fine. In fact, they are fine.

His xGF% is really good (3rd on the Wings) and he largely starts in the defensive zone and faces decent enough competition. He draws more penalties than he takes by a good margin. Add that to his value he brings in the faceoff dot, and the PK and he’s a solid player.

And sure, your 4th line center being signed for another 3 seasons is something you would rather not have, but it’s not like the Leafs have any sort of 4th line centre in waiting anyway. Gauthier appears to have blown his chance and Babcock has been trying to replace Moore all season.

It seems our media is just looking at his lowish CF%, as well as the one game against us were his CF% and have written him off.

Thanks guys!

You missed one important point: he has an atrocious beard which he will be forced to shave off in Toronto, which is a blessing to us all

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
You missed one important point: he has an atrocious beard which he will be forced to shave off in Toronto, which is a blessing to us all

Glenny is a very good 4th liner. Most of the contempt directed at Glendening from fans is only due to the organization's high esteem for a f***ing a 4th liner.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
It would be weird to see Glendening play for another team. I always figured he was a Red Wing for life.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

It’s to discuss him.

Thanks guys!

If you get tired of watching Babcock overplay Hyman and whoever else, you'll understand the frustration in Detroit with Glendening, who is overused at times.
He's a decent enough role player. Very good on faceoffs. A hard worker.
He lacks any sort of talent.
But he's a gamer. A coach's player.
He draws tough assignments, takes dzone faceoffs and keeps the puck out of the net pretty well.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

It really is awful. I had to look away from the television when they had a close up on him last game.

Reactions: TheMule93

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

It’s to discuss him.

Thanks guys!

I mentioned it on the trade board thread and here before but Glendening is very useful to a playoff team. He doesnt have a great corsi but his high danger corsi against and shot suppression numbers are good for a guy with his useage. Hes actually scoring quite a bit this year, brings some grit (hes not Matt Martin but hes physical/a pest), and hes elite on faceoffs. Babcock had no issues matching him up against Crosby and other top stars when he coached here. Glendening wouldnt get more shots on goal than they would (so a lower corsi) but he kept their chances relatively minimal and freed up top lines to play against 2nd or 3rd lines.

The Leafs have had a revolving door at center forthe fourth line and now they have a chance to trade for one that would solidify that spot for the next few years at a very reasonable price. To a playoff team like Toronto he would be a very good pick up, how many Toronto fans actually watch Detroit and especially follow Glendening? Anyone who would legit not like him in Toronto are stat watchers only. I think for a team like Toronto if they give up a second but get the wings to take someone like Martin, thats a very good trade for both teams

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

It’s to discuss him.

Thanks guys!

With an 8 goal season and a 12 goal season under his belt Glenny seems like a guy who can consistently chip in 10 goals while playing a shutdown role against the other team’s top players. By no means is he a high skilled guy but he knows how to put himself in position to succeed in all 3 zones. As others mentioned, he seems to be overplayed at times but that’s because his coaches trust him enough to play matchups against top lines.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tatar for a first and a prospect would be a big win
I'd go so far as to say I'd be shocked to get that much, even with major retention. I'd dance just to get a first, since I think he's worth more like a pair of 2nds, and I think that might be the middle ground they settle on. But hey, it only takes one interested customer to make a sale, so maybe Detroit gets lucky.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
"A" prospect?

Does that mean an A level prospect or just "a prospect?"

What a confusing way to put it.

Given that it is both capitalized and in quotes, I would have to assume that suggests an "A" level prospect, or quality prospect.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Given that it is both capitalized and in quotes, I would have to assume that suggests an "A" level prospect, or quality prospect.
That's what I lean towards but why not say "1st round pick and an 'A' prospect."

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd go so far as to say I'd be shocked to get that much, even with major retention. I'd dance just to get a first, since I think he's worth more like a pair of 2nds, and I think that might be the middle ground they settle on. But hey, it only takes one interested customer to make a sale, so maybe Detroit gets lucky.

Maybe if he was a rental, but I disagree with the assertion in the link in the other thread that a team thinks they can pay less for a guy signed beyond this year. You pay more for that because you're getting something for your asset beyond 20 games this season, something you likely don't think you can grab on the open market for a similar price or within your system. Unless Detroit is looking to just dump salary, they have no reason to deal Tatar (or Nyquist) right now.

Look at it this way, could any team expect to deal for a player of Tatar's caliber at the deadline every season for this season and the next three while giving up just one pick and one good prospect? They'd pay out the nose to rent a 20 goal scorer every year.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He isn't even averaging 1/2 a point a game. I doubt that he can fetch a first.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Maybe if he was a rental, but I disagree with the assertion in the link in the other thread that a team thinks they can pay less for a guy signed beyond this year. You pay more for that because you're getting something for your asset beyond 20 games this season, something you likely don't think you can grab on the open market for a similar price or within your system. Unless Detroit is looking to just dump salary, they have no reason to deal Tatar (or Nyquist) right now.

Look at it this way, could any team expect to deal for a player of Tatar's caliber at the deadline every season for this season and the next three while giving up just one pick and one good prospect? They'd pay out the nose to rent a 20 goal scorer every year.

He was on his way to becoming a 30 goal scorer before Blashill became coach and everybody regressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad