Rumor: Kevin Hayes to St. Louis gaining steam - rumored to be 'huge' deal involving many players

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
this has been rumored since before the trade deadline.

important to note that Gaudreau and Hayes are good friends and were college linemates. so I guess that plus a desperate need for Cs would create at least some rationale for acquiring a heavily-retained Hayes. not a good rationale, but a rationale.
IIRC Hayes has been rumoured to Columbus earlier too, like before he played in Winnipeg.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Are there better and cheaper 2C/3Cs out there to get than Hayes at 3.5 million?

The jackets 2023 2nd would be pretty good. I’d like them to get a late 2023 1st, but that may not be out there and not from the Jackets. 3 years of retention is a big price to pay.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Hayes isn't a hero, but he's pretty underrated on HF. Capable 2nd liner. At 3.5 ish and asking for a 2nd rounder? There should be lots of teams interested.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd say Columbus should aim higher, but i'm not sure they have, or are willing to give up the assets it'd take to do so. There are also so many better options out there anyway, and they've got a clearly burnt bridge with one of the bigger names in PLD anyway.

I think Hayes could be alright for what the Jackets need. Gaudreau and even Laine don't necessarily need an amazing line-driving Center. Just a competent one. Hayes is that. Though $7M is obviously not what you want to be paying a merely "competent" center. Retain it down to around $5M and it's probably fine value for what he can bring, and would certainly be an upgrade over Roslovic.

If they are thinking Hayes as a C they really don’t have to go for a longterm big name addition right now.

Carlsson
Johnson
Voronkov/Sillinger

Is a C group with a potential franchise 1C, 1C and 2 midd6 C options.
Getting that top3 pick was massive for Columbus.

They need a 1-2 year bridge to that center group

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Are there better and cheaper 2C/3Cs out there to get than Hayes at 3.5 million?

The jackets 2023 2nd would be pretty good. I’d like them to get a late 2023 1st, but that may not be out there and not from the Jackets. 3 years of retention is a big price to pay.
Not sure about the trade market but the UFA crop of centers is pretty disgusting.

Ryan O'Reilly
Jonathan Toews
JT Compher
Jordan Staal
Sean Monahan

Those are probably the top 5 guys. The demand will be much higher than the supply and if the Flyers retain enough to get Hayes down to 3.5-4 million he will like an enticing option for some teams.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Anthony Di Marco of The Fourth Period reported early Thursday afternoon that the Philadelphia Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets were having discussions about a potential trade involving Kevin Hayes, and that these talks began before Thursday. One obstacle for any prospective trade is Hayes’ salary. Hayes has three years left on his contract with a cap hit ever-so-slightly above $7.1 million in each of those three years. The main talking point between the Flyers and Blue Jackets was the amount of salary the Flyers might retain.

Any thoughts on a return if Flyers retain 50%?
This isn’t new information by the way. We know talks were there before the deadline.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am thinking if Flyers retain about $2.6M, which will make Hayes contract $4.5M they could get maybe a second round pick?

if they get him under $5M he might return something around 2nd/3rd+secondary prospect/ELC from a team who wants him.

his contract is not something a 3rd team like Anaheim likely touches as a pass thru.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Hayes at $5mil should be enticing enough to get it done. And I don't even care what the return is. Not a fan, not even a little bit.
Most important « return » would be the guy they sign for 5 mil with the money saved. Just give me Clb extra 4th pick in 23 and another extra 3rd in 25 and i’d be happy.

you can retain on 2 contracts right? Already Lindblom.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Most important « return » would be the guy they sign for 5 mil with the money saved. Just give me Clb extra 4th pick in 23 and another extra 3rd in 25 and i’d be happy.

you can retain on 2 contracts right? Already Lindblom.
Flyers bought Lindblom out. Does that count as retention?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would think Flyers are looking for draft picks...
It'd be pretty ridiculous for the Jackets to trade a future 1st sight unseen given the season they just had. And they've already traded their 2024 2nd to the Flyers. That leaves this year's 2nd or a future 3rd.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Probably brings back a 2nd and a 3rd I'd think.

If Danny pulls off a master negotiation maybe a future years 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad