Rumor: Kevin Hayes to St. Louis gaining steam - rumored to be 'huge' deal involving many players

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

Anthony Di Marco of The Fourth Period reported early Thursday afternoon that the Philadelphia Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets were having discussions about a potential trade involving Kevin Hayes, and that these talks began before Thursday. One obstacle for any prospective trade is Hayes’ salary. Hayes has three years left on his contract with a cap hit ever-so-slightly above $7.1 million in each of those three years. The main talking point between the Flyers and Blue Jackets was the amount of salary the Flyers might retain.

Any thoughts on a return if Flyers retain 50%?

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
He'll bring back a terrific return if the Flyers retain half of his deal. Honestly, even just retaining like $1.5 million or $2 million likely gives the Flyers a good return.

I am thinking if Flyers retain about $2.6M, which will make Hayes contract $4.5M they could get maybe a second round pick?

Reactions: McJedi

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hayes is so mediocre. It’s incredible that he got a 7-year extension at over $7.1 million.

I have to disagree with the above. I don’t think he’s a good second line anything. He’s a poor playmaker for a center. His point production is mediocre given the wads of PP time he gets on that Philly squad. He’s below average defensively and can’t kill penalties. He’s not even a plus face-off guy. He’s a 31 year-old mid-six winger/center who does nothing that well and makes way too much money.

Not sure why Jarmo thinks reassembling the Flyers roster is gonna go so better much in Columbus. I guess Hayes is better than Roslovic but that ain’t saying much.

Last edited:

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Archer Gif.jpg

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Hayes retained (idk how much) for Roslovic and Cuelemans?

Philly hope Roslovic returns to form under Torts, and if not flip him at the TDL? Cuelemans gives them another solid RHD in the prospect pool.

Curls and is probably expendable due to Jiricek Boqvist Peeke Gudbranson and Blankenburg as RHD.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Hayes is overpaid and extremely inconsistent. However, he has still been a 2C who is good for around 50 points over the last few years. If the Flyers were to retain half of his salary that puts him at essentially 3.5 million which is a bargain. 30% would put him right around 5 million which is decent.

That being said everyone on the planet knows the Flyers want to get rid of him and I doubt there will be some bidding war for him. I think best case the Flyers get a 2nd IF they retain 50%, and probably a 3rd if it's around 30%

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hayes retained (idk how much) for Roslovic and Cuelemans?

Philly hope Roslovic returns to form under Torts, and if not flip him at the TDL? Cuelemans gives them another solid RHD in the prospect pool.

Curls and is probably expendable due to Jiricek Boqvist Peeke Gudbranson and Blankenburg as RHD.

Even at 50% retention, Hayes isn't a player to want on your team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd say Columbus should aim higher, but i'm not sure they have, or are willing to give up the assets it'd take to do so. There are also so many better options out there anyway, and they've got a clearly burnt bridge with one of the bigger names in PLD anyway.

I think Hayes could be alright for what the Jackets need. Gaudreau and even Laine don't necessarily need an amazing line-driving Center. Just a competent one. Hayes is that. Though $7M is obviously not what you want to be paying a merely "competent" center. Retain it down to around $5M and it's probably fine value for what he can bring, and would certainly be an upgrade over Roslovic.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Is Columbus ready to give up on Foudy yet? Not that he excites me in the slightest but I wouldn't mind the Flyers bringing in a reclamation project or two as throw ins with deals.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
this has been rumored since before the trade deadline.

important to note that Gaudreau and Hayes are good friends and were college linemates. so I guess that plus a desperate need for Cs would create at least some rationale for acquiring a heavily-retained Hayes. not a good rationale, but a rationale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad