Player Discussion Kevin Hayes part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Hayes has been incredible for us this season. Lately he has been our best center. In my opinion he plays his best hockey when he has another forward on his line that gets to the net. It was Kreider a few times earlier this year and now it's miller. It creates space for hayes to control the puck and use his excellent vision. Then throw in the RELENTLESS pressure from hagelin who is either stealing pucks or forcing turnovers and you have a line that can create offense every shift. I really hope this line can keep producing like this. Also having hags and hayes who is already pretty responsible defensively helps a guy like miller out in his own end where he is still " figuring it out" . Also, I love jesper fast but this line has so many more scoring chances with miller. Hopefully fast comes back and goes to 4th line rw And that's nothing against fast

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
His last 9 games (since the end of the ASB), Hayes has 8 points, 19 shots, and is a 59.8 CF%, He's been ****ing awesome.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So I'd be curious to have a benchmark. What is considered good CF% for a 9 game span?

Well, anything above 50% is good. And corsi is a very volatile stat in that a player's rating can change after 10 good games. While possession metrics are important on a game by game basis, they're a lot more important in large sample sizes. Just for some sort of benchmark, Tomas Tatar leads the league in CF% with 59.2%. Hayes is at 52.4%, which is pretty good (2nd best Ranger forward, behind only Miller).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well, anything above 50% is good. And corsi is a very volatile stat in that a player's rating can change after 10 good games. While possession metrics are important on a game by game basis, they're a lot more important in large sample sizes. Just for some sort of benchmark, Tomas Tatar leads the league in CF% with 59.2%. Hayes is at 52.4%, which is pretty good (2nd best Ranger forward, behind only Miller).

That's why I asked about "in 9 games", assuming that in a small sample size that number is not as crazy as for a whole season. 59.2% for a season is ridiculous.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Safe to say the gamble of keeping him as a 3rd liner to start the season paid off. He's going to be a huge plus for the lineup come playoffs if he doesn't fizzle out due to fatigue.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That's why I asked about "in 9 games", assuming that in a small sample size that number is not as crazy as for a whole season. 59.2% for a season is ridiculous.

Indeed it is, only seven players had a CF% that high last year (Bergeron, Muzzin, Kopitar, Williams, Toffoli, Marchand, Toews).

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I actually think Bergeron was at almost 61% last year, which is ridiculous.

Hayes is so damn intriguing because I don't think anyone can really pin point where his ceiling is.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eh, I don't think he's going to be a superstar. I'm hoping top six center but we'll see. I don't think anyone expected him to be even a top six player after watching him in college

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Eh, I don't think he's going to be a superstar. I'm hoping top six center but we'll see. I don't think anyone expected him to be even a top six player after watching him in college

I mean, he's a pretty good 3C as a rookie. I'd be surprised if he didn't improve at all.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I think he should be at least a good second line center. I don't know about his scoring ability, but his playmaking and hands are very exciting. It's nice to have some excellent playmakers on this team between Step, Brassard, Hayes, and Zucc. Unfortunately MSL is not the playmaker I thought he'd be.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It seems like he should be able to develop into a decent second line center. Anything beyond that is gravy. He's definitely playing with confidence right now.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
with Stepan, and Brassard's emergence with more ice time, I'm fine with him actually being a 3c if he can improve in the dot, I mean sure 2nd line center or better would be even better, but that would be a solid core of centers.

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007
I honestly feel that Hayes is going to develop into an elite player in this league. I don't typically get overly- optimistic about Rangers prospects, and I try to keep my excitement in check. But man.... this kid is the real ****ing deal. His combination of size, skill, and vision is fearsome. He's always in great position, constantly strips the other team of the puck, and makes smart crisp passes. This happens consistently. Every time he's on the ice, he's making something positive happen. Unreal. The Thornton comparison that I've seen mentioned a few times around here is spot on. I'm super excited about this kid being a force for the Rangers for years to come.

I'm actually very surprised with the tempered expectations on this board. I feel like most of the time, people here build up players to the point where they can't possibly meet their expectations, but not so much with Hayes. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we basically got the guy for free out of nowhere..?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I honestly feel that Hayes is going to develop into an elite player in this league. I don't typically get overly- optimistic about Rangers prospects, and I try to keep my excitement in check. But man.... this kid is the real ****ing deal. His combination of size, skill, and vision is fearsome. He's always in great position, constantly strips the other team of the puck, and makes smart crisp passes. This happens consistently. Every time he's on the ice, he's making something positive happen. Unreal. The Thornton comparison that I've seen mentioned a few times around here is spot on. I'm super excited about this kid being a force for the Rangers for years to come.

I'm actually very surprised with the tempered expectations on this board. I feel like most of the time, people here build up players to the point where they can't possibly meet their expectations, but not so much with Hayes. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we basically got the guy for free out of nowhere..?

I agree. He's been showing pretty obvious signs.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone explain to me the big deal about his faceoffs? He's one of our best possession players anyway. That line was magic with puck tonight. Only thing they're missing is a guy that can finish. It would be nice if Miller or Hayes becomes that at some point.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Can someone explain to me the big deal about his faceoffs? He's one of our best possession players anyway. That line was magic with puck tonight. Only thing they're missing is a guy that can finish. It would be nice if Miller or Hayes becomes that at some point.

To me it's not a big deal. Would I like to see him improve? Of course, who wouldn't? But to me faceoffs are most important on special teams and in key situations (defensive zone draw late in the game for example) and Hayes is out there taking those draws for little to none of those which is why his faceoffs aren't that concerning to me.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

This. He controls the game when he's on the ice. He's just been making teams look ridiculous lately, the plays he's been making as a rookie are absolutely unfreakingbelievable. He's a really smart player. Add in being 6'5 and having great hands, you've got a special player on your hands.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I've said it since day one. Just look at the guy on the ice. He is pretty raw and already he can dominate at times. When he is 4 or 5 years into the league is going to be an elite first line center. There is no doubt in my mind. He hasn't even gone through the growing pains or the pro conditioning and nutrition that will make him an even better player. And he's a big dude. I love this prospect. One day he will center Duke and Butcher. You should come up with a nickname already. I just can't believe we got him for nothing.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm getting the same impression but don't have any stats to back it up.

upon looking at his last 4 games, his numbers bounces up and down. takes mostly neutral zone faceoffs. usually has the lowest number of faceoffs taken amongst our starting centers. that'll probably change in a year or two.

he's had 4 defensive zone starts in these 4 games total

33% on 6 vs Dallas
25% on 8 vs the Leafs
50% on 10 vs the Avs
36% on 11 vs Arizona

not really trying to disprove anything, just throwing out the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad