Player Discussion Kevin Hayes part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I didn't think he'd be this good this fast. I thought he needed half a season in the AHL, but he never really looked lost and he's had more and more games where he has shown what he can do. If in the future he brings this consistently... man, we are lucky!

Vickers8

KH and Hags having nice chemistry together...this is only the tip of the iceberg for KH

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The way he just took over last game was awesome. He's like "come on ****boys we have a game to win".

Watching his (very quick) development has been so much fun.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
gotta bend more when taking faceoffs. still too stiff. but it will come. no serious problems, aside from the faceoffs. he looks better and better every game. its fantastic. we really lucked out, imo, because it could have been so much worse.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeahhh I don't really want to think about how this season would be going if we didn't sign Hayes.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
As far as faceoffs go, I can't recall a rookie center, especially one that never really played the position, coming into the NHL and being any good at it.

It's skill that requires a lot of repetition and experience. It will come in a few years time. You can't teach speed and skill but you certainly can teach a good player how to take faceoffs.

He is getting better and better at the really important parts of his game, the parts, you can't teach.

The other thing that is really impressive is his skating ability. He is faster and more agile than I ever realized, if he even works on his skating a little bit in the summer this kid has the chance to be something really special.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As far as faceoffs go, I can't recall a rookie center, especially one that never really played the position, coming into the NHL and being any good at it.

It's skill that requires a lot of repetition and experience. It will come in a few years time. You can't teach speed and skill but you certainly can teach a good player how to take faceoffs.

He is getting better and better at the really important parts of his game, the parts, you can't teach.

The other thing that is really impressive is his skating ability. He is faster and more agile than I ever realized, if he even works on his skating a little bit in the summer this kid has the chance to be something really special.

Giroux had a FO% of 49,5 in his first full season, he is now at 55%
Eller went from 47,4% in 2009-10 to 54,8% this year
Seguin was 43,4% in 2011-12 and 52,8% this year
Tavares went up from 47,5% 5 years ago to 52,6% now

Enough examples of how centers can improve over time, especially young centers.

Vickers8

I was impressed with KH's burst as he crossed the Av's line, when he gets going he can skoot for a big guy

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Exactly, rookie centers get schooled by the vets, it's like fresh meat to them. Good examples too.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

i hear you, but he's at a dismal 35.8% right now. not doubting he can improve, but from the worst out of that group you named, he's 8.6% below it.

again, i don't doubt he'll improve. he's only 22.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I was impressed with KH's burst as he crossed the Av's line, when he gets going he can skoot for a big guy

That was impressive. I'm almost more impressed with the way his vision on the ice has evolved. He's made some terrific passes that resulted in more or less tap-in goals against Colorado and Toronto.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
i hear you, but he's at a dismal 35.8% right now. not doubting he can improve, but from the worst out of that group you named, he's 8.6% below it.

Those examples are of players that have been centers their entire career in Jr's, Hayes I don't think played center much until his senior year. So he is truly new to it.

I hope some BC guys can correct me if I am wrong there.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

He hadn't played center in two years coming out of college. I'm not surprised he's really bad on faceoffs.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The way he uses his body to protect the puck and his vision reminds me a bit of Dubinsky in his rookie year. Great to see, this team really needed a player like him who is hard on the puck and can create space for himself and his linemates.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Those examples are of players that have been centers their entire career in Jr's, Hayes I don't think played center much until his senior year. So he is truly new to it.

I hope some BC guys can correct me if I am wrong there.

Yeah, passing. Of all the tools he displays that has been the stand out thus far. But you really get the feeling there is so much more that we will see as he matures.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Faceoffs would certainly be the biggest area for him to improve I think, and if he can just be average or even a bit below average, that's fine. Faceoffs generally aren't that big of a deal unless you're really far one way or the other (which unfortunately Hayes is at the moment).

Beyond that, working on his balance a bit when turning and leaning with the puck would probably help. It's tough to be 6'5 and kind of lanky and coordinate all of that but a little more strength on his skates would also go a long way.

I hope the Rangers let him develop at center, he really is what they need at that position and I don't think he helps them as much in the long run as a winger.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Yeah, passing. Of all the tools he displays that has been the stand out thus far. But you really get the feeling there is so much more that we will see as he matures.

Yeah if/when he fills out and works on a couple of flaws, this kid can be exactly what the Rangers have been lacking for sometime. A really big skilled center.

He would have really come in handy last year in the SCF. lol

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Rookies get better with experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad