Friedman: Kessel is in play

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
For what it's worth, Pens radio guy, Steirgerwald basically backed this up.

The day after the Pens were eliminated he did an interview on XM and the guy asked what injury Kessel had to explain his play. Steigy responded that Kessel wasn't injured but he was sort of pouting because he did not like who he was beig asked to play with night in and night out. The person questioning him even asked him to clarify and he repeated what he said. Sullivan not playing him with Malkin apparently pissed him off.

Reactions: molon labe and KIRK

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I don't think Kessel will work in a Canadian market. He also has to be the 2nd or 3rd scoring option. IMO
I'm not good with proposals... but, what the heck... Something around Kessel/Maatta to Arizona for OEL? Domi?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You have to be careful with Friedman because the guy speculates a lot and people just post threads with the “Friedman” tag and act like it’s a verified rumor.

That’s not the case here. When Friedman talks like this, it means that he does have legitimate sources and that something might happen.

If I were to make a bet here, I would bet Phil Kessel is traded.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You have to be careful with Friedman because the guy speculates a lot and people just post threads with the “Friedman” tag and act like it’s a verified rumor.

That’s not the case here. When Friedman talks like this, it means that he does have legitimate sources and that something might happen.

If I were to make a bet here, I would bet Phil Kessel is traded.

Doesn't he have an NMC, though?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Ignoring Canadian market, Flames and Oilers make a lot sense. Also Dallas make sense too.

I cant put any good proposals from Oil or Stars perspective, but from Flames:

Brodie +? Maybe Andersson/Bennett?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Friedman discussed Kessel on Oilers Now

May 25 - Oilers Now Seg 2 - Elliotte Friedman - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

(go to 13:20)

Transcription:

Stauffer: "Phil Kessel. His name is out there. Is that legitimate? Could he be in play?"

Friedman: "Yes."

Stauffer: "He is in play."

Friedman: "Yes."

Stauffer: "Why? Why would he be in play?"

Friedman: "You know what, I just think, you know, Pittsburgh is, they look at it like we are in it as long as Crosby and Malkin are in their primes. You know, Kessel, it's a long thing with Kessel because you always worry about what's going to be said. Obviously, if you look at Kessel he plays 5 years in Boston, he plays 5 years in Toronto, he's just done 3 in Pittsburgh, I think there is a bit of a situation there where I don't know if he wears out his welcome is the right word or, like, you battle with him, you battle with Kessel, and you could tell at the end of last year that Sullivan and Kessel were getting tired of each other and I could see Pittsburgh just saying "Look, is this money we can spend better elsewhere?" 6.8 million, so it's not going to be easy, but I do think there will be interest, depending on what Pittsburgh wants to do."

Kessel at 6.8M is great value, I doubt they'll find better than him.

Would be a mistake to trade him now, would put Crosby/Malkin's primes at risk.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You have to think Kessel is gone just by looking at the smear campaign being run on him by the Pittsburgh media. Generally when this many media members write about a guy in such short time they don't last very long on that team.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You have to think Kessel is gone just by looking at the smear campaign being run on him by the Pittsburgh media. Generally when this many media members write about a guy in such short time they don't last very long on that team.

When the people the fans can't stand try to run a player who is extremely popular with the fans out of town...this is going to be an interesting and insufferable off-season.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This was reported by a Pitt journalist yesterday first, so I guess direct hate at them more than Friedman.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Even if there is a rift between Sullivan and Kessel, I doubt it's big enough to cause a trade based off of both the team's and player's career. Pittsburgh isn't going to find a better way to spend $6.8 mil if they're competing right now.

These things get brought out when a team get's an earlier exit from the playoffs than they were hoping for. Unless Kessel is happy with his two cups and wants to move on, I can't see the rift big enough between the two to cause a trade which will make the team worse.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I doubt they move him, they won 2 cups in 3 years since they got him. Obviously, hes not the only reason, but he was a major contributor.

As a Toronto fan, you know offensively your getting your moneys worth from him. He doesnt get injured and safe to say hell put up 65-70+ points a year.

I dont see a reason to hit the panic button, personally. But hey, if they trade him I'd be happy because i believe we wouldn't have to retain 1.2 mil on him anymore

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
8 team list.

If there is a rift with Sullivan, that list could be bigger than 8 teams.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm speculating. Kessel is okay with being traded according to Mark Madden, so I feel like he'd waive his NTC for some teams and make the list longer than 8.

If Kessel is getting traded, I'd guess he's going to be traded for a younger top-6 forward and futures most likely. I don't see the Penguins trading him for a defenseman, they have too much money lined up in their D already to add even more without subtracting.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Im not buying it. Why would the Pens trade someone who was the main reason they just won b2b Cups?
I'm not saying Kessel isn't good but the real core is Sid and Malkin. Defending against those guys leave the bottom pairing defensemen to handle Kessel. Also, Kessel is 30. With all the skill he has, he doesn't train like an athlete. It is all god given talent. The problem with that is that his performance will sharply decline from now on. The only guys who stay in the league are the fitness freaks. Pittsburgh has done wonders managing their assets and I can see why they might consider retooling by extracting maximum value from Kessel.

Reactions: 99664987

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Is Carolina interested? Pens want Hanifin ++?

Not even a little bit interested. Not for Hanifin alone. Canes are trying to rebuild their culture. I can’t imagine the best way to start that is to bring in a guy who constantly in trade rumors despite putting up top numbers. Says something about that player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad