Friedman: Kessel is in play

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It's not that bad. Nurse is a Top 4 d-man with Top 2 potential who you can sign to a reasonable long-term deal. JP still has bluechip potential. Most of all it frees up a ton of cap space for you guys to go after a bigger name in the offseason.

I don’t disagree with you, but with Crosby and Malkin only having a few more years in their prime, my guess is they aren’t looking to trade for potential. And JP is a really risky way to invest in the future as well.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Seems like this is a convenient excuse for both parties to part ways amicably.

Sullivan isn’t a huge fan of Phil’s game. Phil isn’t a huge fan of not playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
For what it's worth, Pens radio guy, Steirgerwald basically backed this up.

The day after the Pens were eliminated he did an interview on XM and the guy asked what injury Kessel had to explain his play. Steigy responded that Kessel wasn't injured but he was sort of pouting because he did not like who he was beig asked to play with night in and night out. The person questioning him even asked him to clarify and he repeated what he said. Sullivan not playing him with Malkin apparently pissed him off.

If that’s true then he’s a littl bitch.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
so sad, they dont win those cups without him. guess they try to rid him now while he has good valuevbefore his play declines further.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wild fans, I'm curious about something. Both sides seem pretty open to something around Kessel for Niederreiter or Zucker and futures, but what other tradeable assets does Minnesota have? I imagine they wouldn't want to trade the 1st this year since they traded a 1st and a 2nd last year for Hanzal.

If it's Zucker (I would prefer him), the only needs for the Penguins are a #4D and a 2nd or 3rd line RW.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Wild fans, I'm curious about something. Both sides seem pretty open to something around Kessel for Niederreiter or Zucker and futures, but what other tradeable assets does Minnesota have? I imagine they wouldn't want to trade the 1st this year since they traded a 1st and a 2nd last year for Hanzal.

If it's Zucker (I would prefer him), the only needs for the Penguins are a #4D and a 2nd or 3rd line RW.
Why are you so horny about Zucker?? You want to downgrade from Kessel to zucker?? Thank goodness you aren’t the GM

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I never said he is terrible. But his job is to stir up controversy and speculate based on his own opinions, and that is what he does most of the time. When he has an actual rumor based on actual information he has received, you can tell because he is specific and gives insight on the parties at hand and potential options going forward. He did that during the Duchene saga. Here he is just stuttering, stating the obvious and even says, "I could see" instead of directly stating any party's intentions or line of thinking.

When? When was there actual, confirmed talk of Pittsburgh and Malkin splitting up? That one time Malkin's Dad said that if Geno left Pittsburgh he would want to go to Dallas or Montreal? Cus that doesn't count at all.

As for Friedman and his credibility, see above.

As for the rumors, I'd much prefer if people admitted that they were speculating instead of pretending like they knew jackcrap. And that's one of the reasons I actually like Fridge. Because he oftentimes admits that he is just throwing spaghetti at the ceiling. But times like this where he's trying to sell us on a baseless blockbuster and soiling Kessel's name in the process? Not a fan.

Maybe just stay away from Friedman threads? I can tell you that nobody cares about all this.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Kessel to Nashville for one of their defensemen?

Or Arvidsson. That's kind of a Neal for Hornqvist type move all over again. Pens save some money and get a different style of player. Nashville gets the better pure talent. Definitely need to add pieces to that deal to make it work.

Also, if Kessel is traded for a winger, the key is that they have to play LW (which I believe Arvidsson does IIRC) because one of the only reasons to move Kessel is an overabundance of RW.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Why is every Friedman thread littered with clowns who say “lol friedman isn’t reliable”

He clearly is. just because EVERY rumor he puts out there doesn’t come to fruition, doesn’t mean he’s a fraud. there will be hits and misses. friedman has wayyyyy more hits than basically anyone but Bobby Mac.

Most good reporters don’t actually randomly throw shit out there for fun. I usually assume they are presenting the information as their own speculation because somebody important told it to them “off the record.”

So in order to not burn their source, they make it seem like they’re just speculating, when really they got it from someone in the know.

Just my thought on it.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Bring him back to the leafs.

Kapanen + 25th pick :laugh:

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Friedman discussed Kessel on Oilers Now

May 25 - Oilers Now Seg 2 - Elliotte Friedman - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

(go to 13:20)

Transcription:

Stauffer: "Phil Kessel. His name is out there. Is that legitimate? Could he be in play?"

Friedman: "Yes."

Stauffer: "He is in play."

Friedman: "Yes."

Stauffer: "Why? Why would he be in play?"

Friedman: "You know what, I just think, you know, Pittsburgh is, they look at it like we are in it as long as Crosby and Malkin are in their primes. You know, Kessel, it's a long thing with Kessel because you always worry about what's going to be said. Obviously, if you look at Kessel he plays 5 years in Boston, he plays 5 years in Toronto, he's just done 3 in Pittsburgh, I think there is a bit of a situation there where I don't know if he wears out his welcome is the right word or, like, you battle with him, you battle with Kessel, and you could tell at the end of last year that Sullivan and Kessel were getting tired of each other and I could see Pittsburgh just saying "Look, is this money we can spend better elsewhere?" 6.8 million, so it's not going to be easy, but I do think there will be interest, depending on what Pittsburgh wants to do."

I wouldn't take him for free.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Because to the Oilers fans, Lucic must be good because he is being paid $6MMM.
I'd say about 90% of Oilers fans would be thrilled to see Lucic go for a bag of pucks. So unless you mean the 10% who think he's somewhat useful, don't lump everyone together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->