Friedman: Kessel is in play

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Friedman discussed Kessel on Oilers Now

May 25 - Oilers Now Seg 2 - Elliotte Friedman - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

(go to 13:20)

Transcription:

Stauffer: "Phil Kessel. His name is out there. Is that legitimate? Could he be in play?"

Friedman: "Yes."

Stauffer: "He is in play."

Friedman: "Yes."

Stauffer: "Why? Why would he be in play?"

Friedman: "You know what, I just think, you know, Pittsburgh is, they look at it like we are in it as long as Crosby and Malkin are in their primes. You know, Kessel, it's a long thing with Kessel because you always worry about what's going to be said. Obviously, if you look at Kessel he plays 5 years in Boston, he plays 5 years in Toronto, he's just done 3 in Pittsburgh, I think there is a bit of a situation there where I don't know if he wears out his welcome is the right word or, like, you battle with him, you battle with Kessel, and you could tell at the end of last year that Sullivan and Kessel were getting tired of each other and I could see Pittsburgh just saying "Look, is this money we can spend better elsewhere?" 6.8 million, so it's not going to be easy, but I do think there will be interest, depending on what Pittsburgh wants to do."

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Remember when Friedman said Malkin wanted out of Pittsburgh?

hqdefault.jpg

And then remember when he said it again?

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Remember when Friedman said Malkin wanted out of Pittsburgh?

View attachment 122545

And then remember when he said it again?
More of this anti Friedman nonsense, as if he's f'ing Eklund or something. There was a time where Malkin and Pittsburgh were considering a breakup. It didn't happen. Not all rumours happen. If you want to live in a world where all the rumours you hear happen, it's going to be an extremely dull rumour mill. Friedman is one of the top trade breakers in the league.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Why is every Friedman thread littered with clowns who say “lol friedman isn’t reliable”

He clearly is. just because EVERY rumor he puts out there doesn’t come to fruition, doesn’t mean he’s a fraud. there will be hits and misses. friedman has wayyyyy more hits than basically anyone but Bobby Mac.

Agreed, if he got every rumor correct teams would be suspicious that he'd bugged their phone lines. I find his 31 thoughts column and radio/tv segments great for what they are, discussion topics brought to him or tidbits of what he's heard around the league. I'm personally just as interested in hearing what doesn't come to fruition as seeing what does come true.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Why is every Friedman thread littered with clowns who say “lol friedman isn’t reliable”

He clearly is. just because EVERY rumor he puts out there doesn’t come to fruition, doesn’t mean he’s a fraud. there will be hits and misses. friedman has wayyyyy more hits than basically anyone but Bobby Mac.

And it also depends how you define a 'miss'. If a rumour doesn't come true that isn't necessarily a miss. A rumour is a miss if it is baseless. But many rumours are based on something and not all of them turn into trades. It's shockingly difficult for some to understand this here, but I think it's because they don't really follow Friedman and just assume he's another hack analyst looking for attention.

Reactions: Bozle

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

Because most of these posters don't have the mental fortitude to tell the difference between his mussing and his rumors. They think all his mussing are rumors and then accuse him of making stuff up.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

I never said he is terrible. But his job is to stir up controversy and speculate based on his own opinions, and that is what he does most of the time. When he has an actual rumor based on actual information he has received, you can tell because he is specific and gives insight on the parties at hand and potential options going forward. He did that during the Duchene saga. Here he is just stuttering, stating the obvious and even says, "I could see" instead of directly stating any party's intentions or line of thinking.

More of this anti Friedman nonsense, as if he's f'ing Eklund or something. There was a time where Malkin and Pittsburgh were considering a breakup. It didn't happen. Not all rumours happen. If you want to live in a world where all the rumours you hear happen, it's going to be an extremely dull rumour mill. Friedman is one of the top trade breakers in the league.

When? When was there actual, confirmed talk of Pittsburgh and Malkin splitting up? That one time Malkin's Dad said that if Geno left Pittsburgh he would want to go to Dallas or Montreal? Cus that doesn't count at all.

As for Friedman and his credibility, see above.

As for the rumors, I'd much prefer if people admitted that they were speculating instead of pretending like they knew jackcrap. And that's one of the reasons I actually like Fridge. Because he oftentimes admits that he is just throwing spaghetti at the ceiling. But times like this where he's trying to sell us on a baseless blockbuster and soiling Kessel's name in the process? Not a fan.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Sometime its good to sell High on a player while he still have value, to get Younger and still talented. It's called good management, just like habs should sell high on Petry right now.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

That and people have a habit of taking Freidman speculating and turning it into Freidman claiming something is in the works.

Obviously that's not the case here, but it has been in the past.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

It's quite obvious a lot of people don't understand how rumors actually work and instead resort to attacking the messenger, especially when they don't like the message.

There's also a ton who don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between Friedman reporting a rumor and him simply speculating on what could happen. One's something he's heard, the other is simply his opinion. But that's utterly lost on those who can't be bothered to read past the headline.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's quite obvious a lot of people don't understand how rumors actually work and instead resort to attacking the messenger, especially when they don't like the message.

There's also a ton who don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between Friedman reporting a rumor and him simply speculating on what could happen. One's something he's heard, the other is simply his opinion. But that's utterly lost on those who can't be bothered to read past the headline.

Great minds... Something something.

Oh hey, I can finally like posts again!

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
So I will post it again here.

either:

to Flames:
- Kessel & Maatta
to Penguins:
- Brodie, Frolik & Bennett

or

to Flames:
- Kessel & Sheary
to Penguins:
- Brodie & Frolik

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Im not buying it. Why would the Pens trade someone who was the main reason they just won b2b Cups?

Reactions: Bongsong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->