Confirmed with Link: Kessel for Spaling, Harrington, Kapanen, 1st, 3rd (Leafs Retain 1.25M or $8.75m) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Can anyone say they are honestly happy with the return? To add insult to injury we're going to be holding a $1.2m cap penalty for the next 7 years.

Lots of people are happy with the return. Count me as one of them. :nod:

I respect that you feel differently.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not sure if you realize who it is you're replying to but that poster was one of the biggest Kessel / Kessel-trade supporters on this forum for years...

:(

I know ND very well :laugh:

but his support of Kessel was because he supports every move mgmt makes and especially his favorite Leaf GM the lord almighty Burke

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
people don't realize getting rid of Phil is a win in and of itself. I guarantee we will be a more competitive club next year without Phil around.

#Culturechange.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
LOL, what is the point of having a retention rule if you don't use it. :laugh::laugh:

Leaf fans just like having things.

You put a first pick next year on the table with a player drafted in teh exact same spot last year and they will drool over that pick!! Even though the person drafted last year woudl be further ahead in development.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I was happy with the return until Toronto included the 2nd. That soured me a bit on it but whats done is done.

Right now we have:

JVR - Marner - Nylander
XXXX - Kadri - Kapanen

Rielly - XXXX
Harrington - Percy

Bernier

Not a bad start

that's a really small but highly skilled top 6, we need a lawson crouse type two-way player here, and I'd prefer to get a bigger 2nd line winger for sure(trade for Draisaitl anyone?)

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Can anyone say they are honestly happy with the return? To add insult to injury we're going to be holding a $1.2m cap penalty for the next 7 years.

I am. A 2016 first, Good F Prospect in Kapanen (5pts in 7 AHL games), Nick Spaling, 6.8 million in cap space, and a perfect oppurtunity to tank next year :handclap:

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
We are retaining 1.25 million on Kessel.
We've thrown away more on Tim Gleason while being a bottom 10 team.
This is the pain people.
Day 1 of the rebuild.
Babcock will build the identity of skill/hard work.
Best year ever, even if you can't see it right now.

Oh and PS...we got Marner! What a year!
I'm a happy Leaf fan today.
No looking back.

Exactly! People are talking about the salary retention as if they were holding onto 40%-50% of his contract.
Looking at the 6 years of what we had in Phil Kessel, he didn't fit in our overall plan moving forward.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I was happy with the return until Toronto included the 2nd. That soured me a bit on it but whats done is done.

Right now we have:

JVR - Marner - Nylander
XXXX - Kadri - Kapanen

Rielly - XXXX
Harrington - Percy

Bernier

Not a bad start

Harrington-Percy is a horrible 2nd line. And we had the the 6 best players of the 8 you listed before this trade.

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
The salt in the wound will be if, after this mediocre return for Kessel, we still find Bozak in our lineup, on the first line when the season starts.

snizzb0ne

Feb 10, 2015
This was a good trade:
We got a prospect in Kapanen who is now right behind Nylander and Marner.
We got another prospect in Harrington who is your future stay at home top four defenseman.
And we got a 1st round and 3rd round pick for 2016.

Case closed, this is a fine trade.

We lost Kessel (good riddance), Biggs (lol) and Erixon (who cares we have enough defenseman).
The 2nd round pick going back is Pittsburgh's which we acquired in the Winnik trade.
$1.2m for 7 years? Will mean nothing in 4 or 5 years.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Do we trade JVR now?

Doesnt really make much sense to keep him with whats going to be a terrible team for a few seasons.

I would think that we'd get a better return. I thought he might be moved at the draft. Perhaps at the deadline?

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Just starting to hit home that Kessel is gone.

Going to miss the guy. Was the only fun thing to watch on this team since 2008.

Next year team will be ugly assuming all the kids are on the Marlies/Junior.

Good Luck Phil. Train with Roberts. Win a Cup.

Yep. Was delightful to watch him streak down the wing and snipe mid stride. He'll suddenly be considered elite again once he's out of Toronto and has a competent 1C alongside him. Don't want him to win a Cup this year though, given the pick!

JMcLeaf

This was a good trade:
We got a prospect in Kapanen who is now right behind Nylander and Marner.
We got another prospect in Harrington who is your future stay at home top four defenseman.
And we got a 1st round and 3rd round pick for 2016.

Case closed, this is a fine trade.

We should not have retained salary and gave up a 2nd

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto

Right now we have:

JVR - Marner - Nylander
XXXX - Kadri - Kapanen

Rielly - XXXX
Harrington - Percy

Bernier

Not a bad start

Yeah the 2nd and the 1.2 mill ruined it for me, otherwise it would have been an acceptable trade. Not good but not bad either. If Pens miss the playoffs however we'll have two Top 15 picks next year which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad