Confirmed with Link: Kessel for Spaling, Harrington, Kapanen, 1st, 3rd (Leafs Retain 1.25M or $8.75m) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I absolutely hate how people say this was a bad trade and what not before we even get to see how players on both sides pan out after a season or two.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
...And look at the mess mr.Nonis has caused here. You really want to go down this road...?

At least he knows how to be on the right side of trades. This trade just shows inexperience. How do we end up giving up a ****ing 2nd when we are trading our most valuable asset.

The Pens management took us for a ride.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
People has to understand that sometimes we have to make these kinda trades in order to kick in the rebuild, because Kessel's talent prevents us from diving to the bottom of the league. These guys are just too good for that. Just get rid of them.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
How do Leaf fans not like this?

We get rid of Kessel's STUPID contract even with his NTC, and get back a 1st + high end prospect + decent prospect.

Because they're not really Leaf fans, they are Kessel fanboys.

Not sure why they're still here and not over at the Penguins board.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So essentially we got 3 first rounders and a third round pick for Kessel. WIN for the Leafs. Were stocking up more an more on picks and young draftees!!

Shanahan is literally walking the walk. Just like he said he'd do.

In SHANAHAN we trust! GO LEAFS GO!

3? Harrington was a 2nd rounder if you were talking about him as the 3rd 1st rounder? Spaling was a 2nd as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Other ways we can win this trade:

Kapanen is immensely talented and shows he can a high skill player in the top Six role with insane scoring.

Harrington is a stud with our future number 1: Rielly

First rounder gives us a solid chance of getting more picks and possible moving up for a solid prospect in the top 15, or move for a strong prospect, or move down for more picks.

Spaling can a fill in to buy our prospect in the center or win more time to develop and become stronger and more aclimated to the NHL standards and let Babcock truly have solid prospects become nhl players in the bigs to move forward with. Worst come scenario? We flip him for picks or other prospects.

Not everthing is black and white, there are some grey matter.
I recall Kapanen being rated much higher in Mckenzie's ranking. He fell to 21 where Pitt picked him. Typing on phone so if incorrect I am sure it will be corrected. He is an ok prospect. But not Pitt's best. Nothing against him, but not a knock it out of the park prospect. 3rd liner perhaps 2nd line upside.

Harrington is a useful D man. Captain of Team Canada. He's a 4 or 5 IMO. Not going to carry the 2nd pairing but can carry the bottom pairing.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Yeah I think they are not done. Their D-game and D looks pretty horrible to me and so it did look last season.

They have to get some strong d-guy back and that's now like meaning a nerd terned d-boy ether. They need somebody.

Did you just say Pittsburgh are done after getting Phil Kessel? It so does look so.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Fans don't understand that an organization isn't dictated by whether we win or lose individual trades

It's the direction that the organization leads the team and where it ultimately gets them

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Anyway, Leafs will probably pick up a couple FA's they can flip at the deadline for 2nds or 3rds

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You have this feeling, that this is the year Kessel gets injured badly. Will be out of the season with a torn ACL or something.

Hope not.

Phil has a lot of critics (appropriately named, MORONS) both in this city and on this board, that he will shut up during his time in Pittsburgh, and I for one can't wait for him to do it.

The way this city and this fan base have treated him have been disgusting, and I can't wait to see him shove it down their throats.

Good guy. Loves the game. Plays hard. Deserves better. Finally getting what he deserves.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Maybe it was the Leafs who chose Kapanen over Pouliot. They were never getting Maata. Some say that Kapanen was their second best prospect.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just starting to hit home that Kessel is gone.

Going to miss the guy. Was the only fun thing to watch on this team since 2008.

Next year team will be ugly assuming all the kids are on the Marlies/Junior.

Good Luck Phil. Train with Roberts. Win a Cup.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
WE HAVE 2 1st rd picks a 2nd and 2 3rd picks so far next year not bad
As well as a handful of players that we can probably flip at the deadline for more 2nd and 3rd round picks. Next year is going to be a huge, huge draft, especially if our 1st lands in the top 3.

Oct 18, 2010
People has to understand that sometimes we have to make these kinda trades in order to kick in the rebuild, because Kessel's talent prevents us from diving to the bottom of the league. These guys are just too good for that. Just get rid of them.

Did you miss last season? Or the past _ seasons?

2badknees

May 23, 2015
No matter what the circumstances you don't trade your best player for this **** return. Notice how Buffalo traded Pomminville. We got ****ed so hard it's not even funny. Why would you give up a 2nd in this deal? WHY?

This team never ceases to disappoint.

It's not as if there were 12 better offers on the table, and the Leafs took the worst one. The market is was it is. Clearly, Shanahan and
Babcock wanted no part of a rebuild and culture change with Kessel anywhere near the team.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The return is fine. We needed to dump Kessel to move forward and there were only a handful of teams in the league capable of eating his contract.

And of that handful he would approve a move to how many teams?

I have no issue with it. It's a fine return when examining all the variables. Cap hit. Term. No trade limiting the trade market. Attitude and charachter issues.

We have a lot to like in terms of our roster flexibility moving forward. That's all we should care about.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
With or without Kessel, I bet the Pens are a bubble playoff team at most this season. There's very little depth and a high susceptibility to injuries. Letang isn't a sure thing to play.

Guarantee this: Crosby and Kessel eventually won't get along well. Crosby is intense and competitive.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
People need to realize that the pens really arent going to be that great, their D is a joke

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It's not bad, No.

The timing is the main issue for me. And what could've been possible if we moved him at the next trade deadline.

We won't know now, But perhaps they wanted to turn the page quite badly.

The only thing that makes sense to me. Like Phil fessed up to being the architect of salute gate

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Stoked that we were able to get fair value for Kessel despite there being almost no interest around the league. Good job Dubas. :handclap:

Not sure what Rutherford is doing. They need Saad and Hossa type players, guys who have skill but can also grind and play a two way game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00