Confirmed with Link: Kessel for Spaling, Harrington, Kapanen, 1st, 3rd (Leafs Retain 1.25M or $8.75m) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
The big thing we got in the Kessel trade is the Cap space.

Actually are chances for a real tank unlike last year is the big thing we got. We will now be tanking for 2/3 more years and then we will start to look like a team such as the Panthers and move forward.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Can anyone say they are honestly happy with the return? To add insult to injury we're going to be holding a $1.2m cap penalty for the next 7 years.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Hope not.

Phil has a lot of critics (appropriately named, MORONS) both in this city and on this board, that he will shut up during his time in Pittsburgh, and I for one can't wait for him to do it.

The way this city and this fan base have treated him have been disgusting, and I can't wait to see him shove it down their throats.

Good guy. Loves the game. Plays hard. Deserves better. Finally getting what he deserves.

I hope Phil does well, but admit I do see this blowing up on Pittsburgh. They need depth, not high end wingers.

In 24 months Rutherfords replacement is eating more then $1.2 to move him elsewhere imo.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
At least he knows how to be on the right side of trades. This trade just shows inexperience. How do we end up giving up a ****ing 2nd when we are trading our most valuable asset.

The Pens management took us for a ride.

We won the Phaneuf deal. Everyone called Brian Burke a genius. Congrats

Where did that ultimately lead this team to?

GMs are evaluated based whether they lead the team to becoming cup contenders and not whether they've won individual trades. Fans don't understand it's the process that means the most

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
So did the Leafs trade the 2nd they acquired from PIT back to PIT?

Or did they trade their own 2nd?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Only in Leaf land does mgmt get criticized for using their retention spots for retaining!!!

They're not there to look at! they're there to use. You can easily burn one and use two for shorter term deals like 3 years.

We are retaining 1.25 million on Kessel.
We've thrown away more on Tim Gleason while being a bottom 10 team.
This is the pain people.
Day 1 of the rebuild.
Babcock will build the identity of skill/hard work.
Best year ever, even if you can't see it right now.

Oh and PS...we got Marner! What a year!
I'm a happy Leaf fan today.
No looking back.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Considering the season Kessel had and the negative reutation attached to him, I think this is a good deal for the Leafs. Not saying it's excellent but it's good. With that said, I expect him to do very well in Pittsburgh with less media attention and playing a ton of minutes with Crosby. It may look bad in the long run when we see his numbers but this is a decent deal for the Leafs.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I like it in regards to the current state of the team. This is nto the prettiest hockey trade but we're not in a pretty position. This is a good rebuild trade.

One guy who doesn't fit for potential and opportunity in regards to multiple pieces.

Rebuild trades aren't pretty but they're neccesary.

Well this is how much I valued Kessel, did not expect to get much more for him. He is such a talented player but also such a flawed one.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
CI2QakLWEAAlnqV.png

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Lost in all this, poor Tim Erixon has almost played on every team in the league by age 23 lol

Honestly, I think including him might come back to bite us.

It's nitpicking because there's far bigger things to complain about. But he was a top prospect once, never really had a chance to play, and there's no reason why he can't find his game in Pittsburgh and end up better than Harrington, who's not exactly a blue chipper.

That would suck.

Xtreme

Jan 30, 2015
I am surprised that the Leafs retained and didn't get cap dump(s) back. I was expecting the opposite.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I hate this deal. Not excited about any part of this return. Best I can hope for is the Pens missing the playoffs which is very unlikely.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Hope not.

Phil has a lot of critics (appropriately named, MORONS) both in this city and on this board, that he will shut up during his time in Pittsburgh, and I for one can't wait for him to do it.

The way this city and this fan base have treated him have been disgusting, and I can't wait to see him shove it down their throats.

Good guy. Loves the game. Plays hard. Deserves better. Finally getting what he deserves.

That's not a nice thing to call Brendan Shanahan. The speed of this trade illustrates how pissed off Shanahan was at Phil Kessel's performance this past season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hope not.

Thanks for the chuckle. I like Kessel, he's a great player no doubt he will rip it up with the Pens but plays hard arent words I would use to describe him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I was happy with the return until Toronto included the 2nd. That soured me a bit on it but whats done is done.

Right now we have:

JVR - Marner - Nylander
XXXX - Kadri - Kapanen

Rielly - XXXX
Harrington - Percy

Bernier

Not a bad start

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Happy enough.
Kapanen and the 1st in the cupboard.
Erixon out means one of Percy/Harrington can get meaningful minutes.
Spaling is pending UFA, so can be flipped for some kind of asset (as can Polak, Parenteau, and Reimer).
Watered down team means better 1st. Cap space.
Sold.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Not the best return, but not the worst.

Kapanen was one of my favourite prospects of the 2014 draft, and Harrington has had some seasoning already and could be ready to arise into the lineup soon. The 1st round pick is also good to have.

I don't like the idea of having Kessel during a rebuild and paying him 8M per year. He'll be past his prime when this team competes again.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Do we trade JVR now?

Doesnt really make much sense to keep him with whats going to be a terrible team for a few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00