Kessel closing gap on Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Schlep Rock said:
You're a Crosby homer... yes Richards was 17 when he had the 115.

Age is nothing but a number my friend (see Patrice Bergeron and many more) and if Crosby is the next great one, we can compare him to older players, etc., etc.

I know age is nothing but a number... biology is not science, voodoo dolls and astrology are the way to go, Crosby has proved nothing until he skates on NHL ice, and you're some kind of hockey genius.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
I havn't seen either play to make a judgement and really don't know enough about hockey either (still a new fan).

From what I do know though, I get a feeling both will be atleast stars and as a Canadian, I'm hoping Crosby ends up being much more than that.

But how great it would be for Hockey in the US if Kessel ends up being the in the #5 scorers in the league and makes some mediocre US team, into a contender.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Schlep Rock said:
No offense but Daigle WAS hyped as the next Gretzky, I don't believe Vinny was though.

Otherwise, everything you said was pretty dead on (except stats are important, but they aren't the whole story which you answered below).

Daigle was hyped as the next Gretzky by people who didn't know their arse from a hole in the ground. Crosby was hyped to be the next Gretzky by, uhhh, the last Gretzky.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Kessel doesn't have anywhere near the overall game Crosby has, and Crosby is still the more gifted offensive player. Kessel will be a great prospect, and no doubt have a great career, but Crosby WILL be the better NHLer. I see Kessel as a 30 goal a year Kovalchuk clone, Crosby is the kind of special player that will lead a team to a cup in the future. I've had the opportunity to see Kessel play a bit, and he is the real thing, but from what I've seen of both, Crosby is leaps and bounds ahead in skill, ability and development.

As of today, we should even be comparing these 2, Crosby is in a different class.

American fans, be proud of your young talent, you've got a great crop, but it takes more than a couple good performances in international comps to reach where Crosby is right now.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Attica said:
Daigle was hyped as the next Gretzky by people who didn't know their arse from a hole in the ground. Crosby was hyped to be the next Gretzky by, uhhh, the last Gretzky.

Hmm... I guess NHL scouts and CSB, etc. don't know their arse from a hole then.

Daigle was hyped by everybody to be the next Gretzky. He had nowhere NEAR the talent Crosby does but was just pointing out he was VERY hyped.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Hmm... I guess NHL scouts and CSB, etc. don't know their arse from a hole then.

Daigle was hyped by everybody to be the next Gretzky. He had nowhere NEAR the talent Crosby does but was just pointing out he was VERY hyped.

I guess you don't remember correctly the Alex Daigle hype.

His numbers were nowhere near the greatest in juniors, even if the league was very offensive. Daigle was seen as a great 1st overall pick, a potential franchise player, but there is no NHL Scouts, or the Central Scouting Bureau that had the guts to compare him to Gretzky, or even Lemieux. Daigle was hyped like Phil Kessel is, not like Crosby.

Not only his numbers aren't close to Crosby and he was not nowhere near the player Sidney Crosby is today.

I really think Crosby could get only 100 points and be #1 overall pick anyway. He has the best package I've ever seen.

I just can't believe how people underate this kid. Un-frickin-believable.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
markov` said:
I just can't believe how people underate this kid. Un-frickin-believable.

You people on this message board need to learn to read and understand. It's really getting annoying that people can't understand what one is saying.

At NO point, anywhere have I underrated or underestimated this kid. Kid is a stud, plain and simple. Please understand that for the love of god.

espo*

Schlep Rock said:
I had NO idea that to see Sidney Crosby live as an American I *had* to live in Maine and go to a Lewiston game.

Thanks for the info!
There was no need for that comment,i was only interested in finding out where you had seen him play as i think you very fortunate to be able to do that.Just because you are having a running argument that has got out of hand with other people on this board is no reason to get nasty when someone innocently wants to know where you saw the kid play. I hope you just misinterpreted the meaning behind my message though i must say i can't understand how you did.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
cyclops said:
There was no need for that comment,i was only interested in finding out where you had seen him play as i think you very fortunate to be able to do that.Just because you are having a running argument that has got out of hand with other people on this board is no reason to get nasty when someone innocently wants to know where you saw the kid play. I hope you just misinterpreted the meaning behind my message though i must say i can't understand how you did.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. Since I'm so used to be attacked here, figured it was just another attack.

espo*

Schlep Rock said:
Sorry I misunderstood your post. Since I'm so used to be attacked here, figured it was just another attack.
I figured that's what is probably was,no problem man.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I won't say who I think is better, no one can make that distinction right now without it being guess work...

What I will say though is I really like Kessel, he's so explosive and I like his quick strike ability, don't know if he'll be better than Crosby though....

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
Since I have only seen Crosby once, I cannot make a fair assesment. The one thing I know is that these two guys, along with Ovechkin, are the future big names of the NHL.

I would really like to see Kessel and Crosby get drafted by a team in a big media market. I think these two guys are what the NHL needs to revitalize the game in the States (it kills me that Poker gets higher ratings than Hockey :dunno: ). IMO the game is in serious jeapordy on the Pro level and these future stars are going to have to bring it back from the brink of non-existence.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
Kessel will be on one of the top two lines next year. No doubt about that. He is already a bigger offensive threat than anybody on the current Gopher team and that is saying something when you have a couple of guys like Irmen and Potulny. They didn't recruit him as hard as they did so he could play on a 3rd or 4th line. I don't care how much Lucia rolls lines, Kessel will see more ice time than just about anybody on that team next year and he will be playing on a top line.

Do u remember seeing Thomas Vanek playing with Smaagard and Fleming at all. That was our 4th line. Lucia will roll lines till he finds a line that clicks well.

Sticky*

MN_Gopher said:
Kessel will probally turn out to be a bigger Paul Kariya. Fast with a great shot that can score from far away and has all the shots. Now there are people better than Kariya but how many are way better? Kessel should should fill out to be about 6 feet 190. Thats about Marian Gaboriks size. For the last 2 years the u18 team has benn playing colleges so when Kessel was 16-17-18 he could have been playing against guys as old as 25 years old. With one sole purpose to take out that hot shot kid. I have yet to see him get cleanly hit in the open ice.
Mueller may have the better pro style game. But i do not see him going number one over Kessel. Kessel offensive up side out ways most any other prospect out there.

Gophers next year.
Potulny-Irmen-Howe
Guyer-Chucko-Wheeler
Kessel-Stoa-Hirsch
Kaufman-Sertich-Bostrom
Harrington-Goligoski
Anderson-Hagemo
Vanneli-Peltier

Year after that add in Okoposo, Carmen, and E.Johnson.

Yah, and dont forget their top recruit Peter Mueller.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
this was the gap before the under 18's
crosby.......................................................................kessell

& after
crosby.....................................................................kessell

:)

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
ciggyboy said:
this was the gap before the under 18's
crosby.......................................................................kessell

& after
crosby.....................................................................kessell

:)

They said the same about Daigle and Kariya in 1993.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
ciggyboy said:
Kessel=Daigle same type of player exactly, purely one dimensional.

Kessel is a far far cry from Daigle. For one, he has what Daigle never had and that is a love for the game. He has far better stick skills and Daigle could only dream of having the shot that Kessel has.

As to the comparison between Crosby and Kessel, as one poster already said, its comparing apples to oranges.

Crosby is not Lemieux or Gretzky. He will not dominate the game as those did.

Crosby will be a higher end Peter Forsberg. A player that will have the capability to control both ends of the ice, coupled with elite playmaking abilities as well as the skills to score goals in bunches. He will be considered the best player in the NHL for a long time to come.

Kessel will be an awesome synthesis of a Patt Lafontaine and Brett Hull. He will be deadly on the power play and a game breaker. He will be considered the best pure offensive player in the NHL for a long time to come.

In short, both will be franchise players and super stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad