Kessel closing gap on Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
How many points would've Crosby gotten in this tourny? Would he have gotten over 20? Kessel had 16 and looked amazing and really was wayyyyyy better offensively than any other forward in the tourny and IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE EITHER. Kessel is a 2006 draft eligable player as well, making him #1 likely in his draft year without question.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
WHL Follower said:
How many points would've Crosby gotten in this tourny? Would he have gotten over 20? Kessel had 16 and looked amazing and really was wayyyyyy better offensively than any other forward in the tourny and IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE EITHER. Kessel is a 2006 draft eligable player as well, making him #1 likely in his draft year without question.

I don't see Kessel as being on the same level as Crosby. Yes, Kessel put up nice numbers but I didn't seem him being totally dominant. He looked impressive at times today against Canada but I also felt that he wasn't overly involved at other times. I think that had Crosby, Brule, Staal, etc. played in that game, Kessel would have been shut down. I think it's scary to imagine what Crosby would have put up for points in this tournament. He has destroyed the CHL playing against players 2-3 years older than him. When Kessel is doing that, then I'll start thinking about putting him on that level. And don't give me the WJC bit, that was one tournament, not a full season. Next year will go a long ways to showing where Kessel falls.

I just haven't been impressed enough to put him on the level with Crosby. When you hear people calling him a cross between Lafontaine and Hull, it's a nice comparison, but it's not on the same level as a Forsberg type comparison for Crosby. That tells me star player versus superstar player. Wait until each player has established something at the pro level before we try to compare them.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think that Kessel is closing the gap on Crosby. How can he? They are both very talented prospect but very different types of players. Crosby has a well rounded game, he is more of a passer put finds a way to put up plenty of goals, he already has a mature defensive side to his game as well. Kessel seems to be a bit more flashy, perhaps a bit a bit faster and has that superior shot.

They are both likely to go no1 in their respective draft class. If the NHL ever comes back, we'll have the next 20 years to evaluate who is better...once they are both in the same league.

SPARTAKUS*

Canadians will say that Crosby is better and Americans will say that Kessel is better. Only time will tell.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Kessel is a special player and there is no doubt in my mind he will go 1st overall in 2006.

Crosby is a special player and there is no doubt he will go 1st overall in 2005.

They are both franchise players - however there is a clear advantage at this point is Crosby's. He isn't much better than Kessel with the puck, but the things Crosby does away from the puck give him a clear edge.

His physical play, his defensive play and his work in the corners seperate him from every other prospect defensively. Offensively Kessel is on par with Crosby in terms of shooting ability and creativity with the puck. What sets Crosby apart offensively is his unique ability to make every single player on the ice dangerous at all times. Whenever he has possession of the puck, every single teammate is one fast play away from having an open net. His vision in that respect is unmatched.

So while Kessel has certainly proved himself with a jaw dropping performance in this tournament, he's not the same type of player as Crosby.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Crosby is obviously better then Kessel, but 10 years from?....I could see #'s like this:

52 Goals, 51 Assists for Crosby
43 Goals, 45 Assists for Kessel
(feel free to move those numbers up and down....point was that Crosby wont be destroying Kessel in points..but will still have a healthy dose more)

So what im saying is...Kessel will see be very good...but I doubt he'll ever be as good as Crosby. Though im higher on Kessel staying healthier then Crosby..Kessel is bigger. (yes thats all i have to base that argument on ;) )

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I think he's closed the gap. But that's not to say he's even close to Crosby. Crosby is so high up that it would take a 4 ppg pace for his stock to go any higher. He's just that good. But while Crosby has maintained his level of excellence, Kessel's stock his risen considerably. But's not near enough to catch or pass Crosby and it won't be.

Oilers1*

I hope we don't spend the next few years annoiting every good young player as the next Crosby.

Kessel is an awesome, exciting talent in his own right. To me, his offense is a little more one-dimensional than Crosby's (don't get me wrong, its a pretty great dimension; Lafontaine, Bure and Kariya come to mind, IMO) and he doesn't have Crosby's track record. But he's going to be very interesting next season on his way to the draft.

And I wouldn't be upset at all if the Oilers could draft him ;)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Le Golie said:
Kessel is a special player and there is no doubt in my mind he will go 1st overall in 2006.

Crosby is a special player and there is no doubt he will go 1st overall in 2005.

They are both franchise players - however there is a clear advantage at this point is Crosby's. He isn't much better than Kessel with the puck, but the things Crosby does away from the puck give him a clear edge.

His physical play, his defensive play and his work in the corners seperate him from every other prospect defensively. Offensively Kessel is on par with Crosby in terms of shooting ability and creativity with the puck. What sets Crosby apart offensively is his unique ability to make every single player on the ice dangerous at all times. Whenever he has possession of the puck, every single teammate is one fast play away from having an open net. His vision in that respect is unmatched.

So while Kessel has certainly proved himself with a jaw dropping performance in this tournament, he's not the same type of player as Crosby.

Solid post and I completely agree.

What makes Crosby different is his vision and the way he thinks the game. Kessel is incredibly explosive and is a threat everytime he is on the ice. Similar to the way guys like Bure were. But not only is Crosby a threat everytime he is on the ice, he makes every single one of his linemmates a threat as well.

SPARTAKUS*

Le Golie said:
I agree. If they do, they shouldn't.
I think that Kessel will be a more dominating player than Crosby.

Crosby is a special player no doubt about that but Kessel will be

just as much special and he is skating and his shot are much better

than Croby's. But only time will tell.....

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Habsfan 32 said:
I think Crosby is ahead of Kessel by a fair distance but Kessel is really impressive.

I think we should be comparing Brule or Cogliano to Kessel, not Crosby. He's on a different level right now! Cogliano brings speed and an excellent shot, while Brule brings grit and a rocket of a shot to the ice!

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
It's SO hard to compare, they are completely different players.

Crosby is more of a grinder, in that he's amazing in the corners, and wins battles along the boards all the time. I feel that is his biggest strength, that he can outmuscle and outwork anyone down low with that low centre of gravity.

Kessel is a much more flashy player. He's the guy you'll see undressing defencemen on a nightly basis. A real gamebreaker in every sense, he has the speed, shot, everything. It was real impressive to watch him today, with the defencemen backing off so much to compensate for his speed.

Right now, I would not be able to say who is better because they don't play alike at all. Crosby is better in traffic, Kessel is better in open ice (from what I've seen)

Personally, I see Crosby's game translating better to the NHL because the league is based on cycling and corner play right now, where he is excellent. I'd love to see both succeed, cause they're both extremely exciting and would definitely play a big part in reviving the game.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Crosby vs kessel

I have seen both and Crosby is better by far IMO. Kessel has the better sniper ability but he can not control the play like Crosby can, Crosby makes plays right now that his own teammates don't even see and they do not capitalize on them cause they don't even have a clue that the puck is going to make it to them. Kessel is going to be awsome...but I think this is going to be like comparing Joe Sakic with Mario Lemieux not comparing the two players to them two but just to use a comparison. Sakic a superstar he can carry a team, Mario Maga star a once in a decade type of player, the entire franchise depends on him type.

Crosby- smarter, controls the play way better, better vision, better passing, timming is beyond anyones.

Kessel- better shooter, snipes alot more...argubly better speed (but not by much)

Crosby is ahead by far IMO.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
crosby speed is getting underrated .. baring any injury .. he's the fastest Q player i've seen and that includes gagné,vermette,(insert your player name)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think there's any doubt that Crosby is the superior player, and IMO that will always be the case. Crosby is a much more well-rounded player, and I doubt Kessel will possess all the dimensions Crosby does. That being said, Kessel isn't that far off from Crosby offensively, and the Lafontaine comparisions are spot on. I can live with that.

Roy G Biv*

OTTSENS said:
I think that Kessel will be a more dominating player than Crosby.

Crosby is a special player no doubt about that but Kessel will be

just as much special and he is skating and his shot are much better

than Croby's. But only time will tell.....

Way to make a contraversial statement.... but do you even believe it?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
OTTSENS said:
Canadians will say that Crosby is better and Americans will say that Kessel is better. Only time will tell.

Well, count this Canadian as being more impressed with Kessel than Crosby so far. In the World Juniors, I saw Crosby as a guy who was only dominant on the power play, who racked up the majority of his goals and points against three ultra crappy teams in the round robin. Against the top talent, he managed 2 measly assists in 3 games (and of course, half of them on the power play).

Crosby couldn't dominate the best juniors, and folks think he's going to dominate the NHL? He'll have a good career, but nowhere near the godlike status being attributed.

RoyIsALegend*

Phil Kessel is an outstanding hockey player who will make a terrible NHL team extremely happy with the 1st overall pick. He has franchise potential written all over him and is an explosive goal scorer.

With all that said:

Sidney Crosby is far superior to Phil Kessel.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
I think we should be comparing Brule or Cogliano to Kessel, not Crosby. He's on a different level right now! Cogliano brings speed and an excellent shot, while Brule brings grit and a rocket of a shot to the ice!

You could maybe compare Brule to Kessel, but Cogliano isn't near the level Kessel is at.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Couple of thoughts:

For starters, Cogliano shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Kessel, Crosby, and Brule.

Secondly: To whoever said Crosby dominates the CHL, he doesnt, he dominated the QMJHL.

Finally: The gap between Crosby and Kessel isn't big at all, in fact its tiny with a slight edge to Crosby. Kessel is amazing when he gets the puck in the neutral zone. The big difference between these two is that Kessel can snipe goals from 30 feet away, 98% of Crosby's goals are either right around the net or going end-to-end against the sub-par Q defenceman.

as of right now, Crosby>Kessel

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Couple of thoughts:

For starters, Cogliano shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Kessel, Crosby, and Brule.

Secondly: To whoever said Crosby dominates the CHL, he doesnt, he dominated the QMJHL.

Finally: The gap between Crosby and Kessel isn't big at all, in fact its tiny with a slight edge to Crosby. Kessel is amazing when he gets the puck in the neutral zone. The big difference between these two is that Kessel can snipe goals from 30 feet away, 98% of Crosby's goals are either right around the net or going end-to-end against the sub-par Q defenceman.

as of right now, Crosby>Kessel

and 98% of Kessel's goals are from sub-par U18 competition like Canisius College, Trinity College, Colby College, etc.

C'mon give us a break MB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad