Proposal: Kessel and Giroux to Avalanche at the trade deadline

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
What does Calgary want from Colorado apart from Byram and Newhook, who are almost certainly not gonna be traded?
Depends on who the Avs would target. If the Flames fire Treliving and start selling everyone off I'd guess picks and prospects will be what's needed for a proper rebuild. If it's just move a guy here, bring in a guy back and not a rebuild it'll be roster players.
I have no idea what the future is in Calgary, we're awful but management is stubborn and they still think this season is salvageable.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I would actually want Kessel if he played with Nuke and not without him.

Byram is essentially untouchable unless what's coming back is a comparable centre (i.e. Kirby dache or Stuzle).

How about Kessel for Compher? I still think Kessel would be a valuable addition to the Avs roster just for his 2 cups and playoff numbers. Also injuries do happen in the playoffs and i would much rather see a guy like Kessel step up into a more offensive role than Donskoi.

We know he won't repeat his numbers from when he was on the Pens but he steps up when needed because he is such a clutch playoff performer. He could put up only 7 goals in the playoffs for the Avs but they could all be game winners or series winners.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
How many wrongs can be in a single offer?
G can't be traded due to NMC. I have a better shot of a 3 way with 2 broke girls then G being traded.
G's best position is 1 or2 lw not center. Just because AV has the IQ of plant life doesn't make G a c. G takes the faceoffs YES. But center? No.
You don't trade 20 year old potential top 2 d-man for 1.5 years control of anyone. For that matter you always pick the top 2 d-man over the scoring winger. Just ask TBL and how happy they were and are to acquire Sergachev.

Okay but Girioux could waive his NTC if management come to him asking him. Play him on the wing on the third line and have him manning the second PP unit.

Girioux is still a very good player that would instantly make the Avs that much better.

There is too much of a drop off between MacKinnon and Kadri and from the Avs first line to the second line and MacKinnon could use more support. It showed last year in the playoffs. Kadri is a playoff beast but I still think the Avs could use another experienced forward with deep playoff experience - Giroux and Kessel fit this bill perfectly.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I could be wrong but doesn't Kessel have more points right now. Given with both players if they ain't scoring then they really serve no purpose that would make Kessel more valuable
:laugh: Nichuskin is the best defensive forward on the team and 8th in Selke votings last year. This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

The Russian stereotype, this kid thinks Nichuskin can't play defense because he's Russian.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How about Kessel for Compher? I still think Kessel would be a valuable addition to the Avs roster just for his 2 cups and playoff numbers. Also injuries do happen in the playoffs and i would much rather see a guy like Kessel step up into a more offensive role than Donskoi.

We know he won't repeat his numbers from when he was on the Pens but he steps up when needed because he is such a clutch playoff performer. He could put up only 7 goals in the playoffs for the Avs but they could all be game winners or series winners.
I think Kessel for Compher is an okay base. But Kessel is a lot better than Compher and is having a big bounce back season right now. He’s also got two championships, and is playoff proven. This deal is heavily skewed in Colorado’s favor unless they add some decent prospect(s) and/or pick(s).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the worst part of these proposals is including Nichushkin for Kessel. Talk about going from one of the hardest working and best forcheckers in the league, and replacing him with one of the worst forecheckers in the league.

Big time no thanks on that one.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Okay but Giroux could waive his NTC if management come to him asking him. Play him on the wing on the third line and have him manning the second PP unit.

Giroux is still a very good player that would instantly make the Avs that much better.

There is too much of a drop off between MacKinnon and Kadri and from the Avs first line to the second line and MacKinnon could use more support. It showed last year in the playoffs. Kadri is a playoff beast but I still think the Avs could use another experienced forward with deep playoff experience - Giroux and Kessel fit this bill perfectly.
If next year comes and Flyers are not interested in resigning Giroux maybe then he waives the NMC. Its not happening before then.

So the Avs should trade a 20 year old potential 2/3 d-man for 1.5 years of a very good 2nd line winger?

Giroux is still very good. There is sheer comedy on hfboards that Giroux a 65 point pace player is someone done. The fan bases that gloat their own 50 point pace players and put down Giroux shows their homerism to a new level. Its sad that Giroux's first 20 games his 2 way play this year was fantastic and trashed by his teammates poor defense and poor goaltending. And the underutilization of Giroux minutes per game at 5x5 or pp is infuriating by AV. For tropic thunder fans I would take a nutless monkey over AV.

But again I point to the Sergachev for Drouin trade. You do not trade 20 year old potential 2/3 d-man for scoring wingers unless they are top 10 in the league. It is more so in this offer's case when you consider contract salaries and only 1.5 years term. There are better ways to get optimal asset management if you are COL. If you can get Hall for 2 2's as example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad