Proposal: Kessel and Giroux to Avalanche at the trade deadline

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If Cliff Fletcher wouldn't trade a 33 year old, declining player, who has captained over one of the most horrific and embarrassing stretches in Flyers history... for a 19 year old, future, top pairing D on a rookie contract... he should be working at Panera, and not in the NHL.
All I said was ok.

Reactions: Cootsfanclub

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If Cliff Fletcher wouldn't trade a 33 year old, declining player, who has captained over one of the most horrific and embarrassing stretches in Flyers history... for a 19 year old, future, top pairing D on a rookie contract... he should be working at Panera, and not in the NHL.
I would hire Cliff Fletcher at this point over Chuck.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I could be wrong but doesn't Kessel have more points right now. Given with both players if they ain't scoring then they really serve no purpose that would make Kessel more valuable
You don't know anything about Nichushkin. He's one of the most effective defensive wingers in the league, an excellent forechecker, and arguably the best third liner in the league right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are starting to see how transformative it is to have a lot of skill on the backend. Byram will add to that as he gets experience.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kessel is cooked. No thanks.
Im not saying the OP is fair value for Kessel (it’s not) or that that really works for either team (it doesn’t), but I think you’re selling Kessel a bit short. He’s on 27 goals per 82gp pace this season, while playing for the NHL’s 5th worst offense. I think he has value if Arizona is willing to retain some additional salary (Toronto is already eating 15% of his deal).

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Kessel is the better hockey player than nuke. You won’t convince me otherwise.

Kessel playing in Nukes role would make Colorado worse. Colorado already has a younger burakosky playing the kessel like role and his second line with kadri and Saad is very good defensively so doubt kessel would slot in there. Line 1 is obviously untouchable.

so you need kessel to play third line on nukes spot. Again nuke in his role is more valuable to Colorado that kessel there. (I’m not even including pk, although I’d admit Phil on 2nd pp would be an improvement)

ultimately what I’m saying is the trade makes very little sense from a colorado perspective.

also lololol not trading Bowen.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
00EBF858-3386-4BD5-A688-B7256436C981.gif

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why the hell would Colorado want to pay us that much for Kessel?
It’s a huge overpay. Yet the inclusion of EJ makes it impossible for Arizona.

I think something more appropriate would be Kessel (with 30% total retention) for JT Compher (who Avs fans seem to despite with the fire of a thousand exploding suns), Sampo Ranta, and a conditional 3rd (contingent on WCF berth, otherwise 5th).

Reactions: Summer Rose

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s a huge overpay. Yet the inclusion of EJ makes it impossible for Arizona.

I think something more appropriate would be Kessel (with 30% total retention) for JT Compher (who Avs fans seem to despite with the fire of a thousand exploding suns), Sampo Ranta, and a conditional 3rd (contingent on WCF berth, otherwise 5th).
This isn't nearly enough. It's actually a lot more.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But what about the proposal? Kessel(30%) for JTC+Ranta+3rd/5th?
Don't want Kessel because he doesn't fit. The top two lines are working right now, and the 3rd line has been fantastic. I know Kessel worked on a "3rd line" before in Pittsburgh with Bonino and Hagelin but I can't see him doing the same with Colorado. That, and the Avs have way more important needs (3rd line centre, backup goalie, right-shot defensemen) than a winger.

Reactions: flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I could be wrong but doesn't Kessel have more points right now. Given with both players if they ain't scoring then they really serve no purpose that would make Kessel more valuable

You need to watch Avs games to understand how our lines fit together. Nichushkin had a slow start but has elevated his play of late. Chemistry is a big deal on that line.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
How many wrongs can be in a single offer?
G can't be traded due to NMC. I have a better shot of a 3 way with 2 broke girls then G being traded.
G's best position is 1 or2 lw not center. Just because AV has the IQ of plant life doesn't make G a c. G takes the faceoffs YES. But center? No.
You don't trade 20 year old potential top 2 d-man for 1.5 years control of anyone. For that matter you always pick the top 2 d-man over the scoring winger. Just ask TBL and how happy they were and are to acquire Sergachev.

bolded for absolute greasiness. Cool that you so publicly declare your experience with buying sex.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Avs would never pay the premium that the Flyers would want for their capn.

The kessel swap is also bad for both teams.

However I am behind the idea that the Avs should be looking for a way to pull in a big fish without completely nuking their future

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
:laugh:

It doesn't matter if Nuke scores a point or not. His main asset is his defensive game and relentless forecheck.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Kessel for Nichushkin, Erik Johnson and 2nd round pick.

Giroux for Byram, Jost, 3rd around pick

Would Kessel and Giroux put the Avs over the top? They would be the favorites if they got both. But getting Giroux would help take pressure off of MacKinnon in the playoffs. There's too much of a dropoff from MacKinnon to Kadri and Giroux would help lessen the gap.

MacKinnon-Giroux-Kadri would be one of the best teams down the middle and they would be feared since all 3 are playoff beasts.

LANDESKOG-MACKINNON-RANTANEN
DONSKOI-GIROUX-KESSEL
SAAD-KADRI-BURAKOVSKY
CALVERT-BELLEMARE-COMPHER

I would actually want Kessel if he played with Nuke and not without him.

Byram is essentially untouchable unless what's coming back is a comparable centre (i.e. Kirby dache or Stuzle).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad