Proposal: Kessel and Giroux to Avalanche at the trade deadline

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Kessel for Nichushkin, Erik Johnson and 2nd round pick.

Giroux for Byram, Jost, 3rd around pick

Would Kessel and Giroux put the Avs over the top? They would be the favorites if they got both. But getting Giroux would help take pressure off of MacKinnon in the playoffs. There's too much of a dropoff from MacKinnon to Kadri and Giroux would help lessen the gap.

MacKinnon-Giroux-Kadri would be one of the best teams down the middle and they would be feared since all 3 are playoff beasts.

LANDESKOG-MACKINNON-RANTANEN
DONSKOI-GIROUX-KESSEL
SAAD-KADRI-BURAKOVSKY
CALVERT-BELLEMARE-COMPHER

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I probably wouldn’t trade Nichushkin for Kessel straight up. Kessel is still a good scorer, but the overall game Nichushkin brings is more valuable to the Avs.

The other trade would be a no for me too. If Byram gets moved I’d rather it be for a younger option.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Byram is bad enough, but not taking his $8.275M cap hit for the next 1.5 seasons. Garbage offer.

AZ is struggling financially and not taking injury prone EJ in a cap dump.

Reactions: ljb4 and hughdreamz

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No but Girioux is a big game player, 73pts in 85 career playoff games. If adding Giroux gets the Avs a cup, losing Byram would be worth it for Avs fans.
And if he doesn't get them the cup (mathematically more likely), then the trade looks hilariously bad for them...

Teams don't trade prospects like that unless for a true star player, usually signed long term.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Nichushkin is 20x the player Kessel is at this point in their careers.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nichushkin is 20x the player Kessel is at this point in their careers.

I could be wrong but doesn't Kessel have more points right now. Given with both players if they ain't scoring then they really serve no purpose that would make Kessel more valuable

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
I could be wrong but doesn't Kessel have more points right now. Given with both players if they ain't scoring then they really serve no purpose that would make Kessel more valuable
Have you watched Nichushkin play? He's not the best player in the world but he brings a HELL of a lot more than offense. He's a defensive juggernaut and a huge pain in the ass for the other team when he's forechecking. Saying he serves no purpose other than scoring is ludicrous.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
seems like bad idea for colorado. basically mortgaging long term success that sakic has been building for at best a shot at two cups, and forgive me for saying they would be lucky to even get one, still doesn't fix the defense flaws it will further create and still not solidify the net for them

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton

Nichushkin was ranked 8th in selke voting last season. He provides a much needed part of the bottom six and relenteless on the forecheck. Exactly the type of player the team needs for the playoffs.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Kessel for Nichushkin, Erik Johnson and 2nd round pick.

Giroux for Byram, Jost, 3rd around pick

Would Kessel and Giroux put the Avs over the top? They would be the favorites if they got both. But getting Giroux would help take pressure off of MacKinnon in the playoffs. There's too much of a dropoff from MacKinnon to Kadri and Giroux would help lessen the gap.

MacKinnon-Giroux-Kadri would be one of the best teams down the middle and they would be feared since all 3 are playoff beasts.

LANDESKOG-MACKINNON-RANTANEN
DONSKOI-GIROUX-KESSEL
SAAD-KADRI-BURAKOVSKY
CALVERT-BELLEMARE-COMPHER
How many wrongs can be in a single offer?
G can't be traded due to NMC. I have a better shot of a 3 way with 2 broke girls then G being traded.
G's best position is 1 or2 lw not center. Just because AV has the IQ of plant life doesn't make G a c. G takes the faceoffs YES. But center? No.
You don't trade 20 year old potential top 2 d-man for 1.5 years control of anyone. For that matter you always pick the top 2 d-man over the scoring winger. Just ask TBL and how happy they were and are to acquire Sergachev.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad