Ken King; Flames Ownership no longer pursuing new arena in Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Tweeted, and quickly deleted, by the Flames' Director of Communications and Media Relations:

Wow, I didn't think that was possible, but he managed to somehow insult everyone at once in a single tweet. The left, the right, the City of Calgary, Canada, America, the President of the most powerful country on Earth....

That takes serious talent!

What were they thinking openly campaigning for a candidate over the other?

Did they really imagine an endorsement from Gary Bettman was going to make their guy more likely to be elected, rather then less?

The Flames organisation is a MESS. They have low energy. They are screwing up ''big league''. That's for sure.

Hopefully he'll realize they are alienating everyone by tweeting pointless insults, and go back to the negotiating table with everyone involved, like adults, to achieve real progress in their projects.....

And that is sound advice for everyone, not just the Flames... (looks South)

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
As someone in PR, I can’t believe their director of comms would be that stupid. The whole organization/ownership group comes across as arrogant and completely out of touch.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Tweeted, and quickly deleted, by the Flames' Director of Communications and Media Relations:

I tell myself there's no way the Flames will move but with dinguses like that calling the shots, literally anything is possible.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Wow, that backfired spectacularly, eh Flames?

I haven't followed this whole issue super closely, and the mayor is just one vote of many on these types of issues, but it really seems like a dumb move to campaign against the incumbent mayor, and if you do, and he still wins, you can't blame anyone else if you feel like you're not getting treated fairly going forward.

I know there are Flames fans that do genuinely worry that this team may move, and when it is your town and team, it can be nerve wracking. But, the Flames are among the safer teams to go through this arena dance with ownership, and if the Flames did move, it would be something they're doing out of spite, as I can't see any situation where it makes business sense.

Having an NHL team talk tough but back down goes a long way to empowering local governments to not take the bait as easily in the future. Especially as Bettman weighed in very directly, and had it blow up in his face.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
No surprise, Eric Francis paints a more from picture of the future from last night's results.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/naheed-nenshis-re-election-means-new-flames-arena-talks/

Now that the election is over, it's best that both sides stay out of the media and let the ones who are really doing the negotiating (i.e. not the Mayor) do their role.

I believe the last counter proposal came from the Flames so really the next move belongs to the city IMO. Their next proposal can't be made public either.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Now that the election is over, it's best that both sides stay out of the media and let the ones who are really doing the negotiating (i.e. not the Mayor) do their role.
I disagree - if it wasn't for the Globe and Mail we wouldn't know about the horrific demands the Flames were making in this fiasco (Stories Postmedia didn't have the guts to run). After reading about free transit fares, obscene rent and tax break expectations, etc I want to know exactly what is coming on and off the table. I want to know just how badly Flames' ownership and management want to strip the city of financial assets and resources we need to be allocating elsewhere.

Reactions: Price is Wright

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
After the stunt the Flames tried to pull, I would not count on much of anything beside "Go to hell." from the reelected mayor. If they get more than "Screw you, and the horse you rode in on!" Nenshi is a better man than I.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
No surprise, Eric Francis paints a more from picture of the future from last night's results.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/naheed-nenshis-re-election-means-new-flames-arena-talks/

I believe the last counter proposal came from the Flames so really the next move belongs to the city IMO. Their next proposal can't be made public either.

Shills gonna shill.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can't wait.

Worst ticket will be at least $100 AND the city will be paying for most of it. Good Job Calgary.

This is my concern as well, here in Ottawa. People are saying "wait for the new downtown arena" , and "less traffic", and so on...but on the other end, you know that to finance a new arena, in this day and age, will be expensive. And whatever a city does not pickup, the fans will have to. Ottawa is already, and I say this as gently as possible, a "thrifty" market. You think they will pay new arena prices?

I am curious to know what the price difference is between Edmonton's old and new arena.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
After the stunt the Flames tried to pull, I would not count on much of anything beside "Go to hell." from the reelected mayor. If they get more than "Screw you, and the horse you rode in on!" Nenshi is a better man than I.
It's for this reason I'm wondering if the Flames do a reboot and make changes at the top management levels in the next day or so. Does King retire and let someone else (Like Peplinski?) try and negotiate or does he get fired and shipped out completely? It will be interesting to see what happens from the team end of things.

Last edited:

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
It's for this reason I'm wondering if the Flames do a reboot and make changes at the top management levels in the next day or so. Does King retire and let someone else (Like Peplinski?) try and negotiate or does he get fired and shipped out completely? It will be interesting to see what happens from the team end of things.

How can Ken King the owner of the Flames get fired?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
How can Ken King the owner of the Flames get fired?
King's not an owner. I think he's the CEO of the overall sports organization that runs the Flames but I could be wrong. If I remember media reports correctly a big part of his job is (was?) to get a new arena built.

Edit: Just checked and King is (for now) President and CEO of the overall organization. Brian Burke is President of the team itself.

Link: https://www.nhl.com/flames/team/contact

Last edited:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
It will be interesting to see where the flames end up. There's no way they fill the QC spot as the NHL will want to keep them in the west. So most likely one of Seattle, Houston or KC. Leaving one of the remaining two to get the next expansion team. It sucks that the Flames may relocate, but I'm not going to blame a city for not wanting to be blackmailed by billionaires.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
King's not an owner. I think he's the CEO of the overall sports organization that runs the Flames but I could be wrong. If I remember media reports correctly a big part of his job is (was?) to get a new arena built.

Yes pretty much dead on. Murray Edwards is the principal owner. Although I’m not really sure that he even lives in Calgary any more.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It will be interesting to see where the flames end up. There's no way they fill the QC spot as the NHL will want to keep them in the west. So most likely one of Seattle, Houston or KC. Leaving one of the remaining two to get the next expansion team. It sucks that the Flames may relocate, but I'm not going to blame a city for not wanting to be blackmailed by billionaires.

I would hope every city would follow this thread and not give in to the NHL or the team owners. Something has to give. The cost keeps increasing for tickets, buildings keep costing more, and I don't care what the NHL PR machine says, there are empty seats all over the place.

I said before there are like 15 arenas over 17 years old... what would the NHL do if every one of those cities' taxpayers said no when their owners come begging in the next 10 years. Shuffle 15 teams around North America... there would be no place to move that many teams. The costs have to stop going up or the NHL is in for a big surprise in the future.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I expect for the Flames to wait for the Olympic decision and then if that falls through, they will put the team up for sale.

Hopefully a local owner steps up. The city is more than willing to negotiate, its CSE that is taking their ball and going home.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I would hope every city would follow this thread and not give in to the NHL or the team owners. Something has to give. The cost keeps increasing for tickets, buildings keep costing more, and I don't care what the NHL PR machine says, there are empty seats all over the place.

I said before there are like 15 arenas over 17 years old... what would the NHL do if every one of those cities' taxpayers said no when their owners come begging in the next 10 years. Shuffle 15 teams around North America... there would be no place to move that many teams. The costs have to stop going up or the NHL is in for a big surprise in the future.

I agree but we both know some city will do what they need to in order to try and entice the flames ownership.

Hell the city of Calgary is doing it right now. They won't cater to the flames, but are more than willing to get bent by the IOC in order to land the 2026 Olympics.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yes pretty much dead on. Murray Edwards is the principal owner. Although I’m not really sure that he even lives in Calgary any more.
He moved (I think it was to England) in a really loud and big way. He was throwing a tantrum about taxes and things like that. I find billionaire hissy fits really tiresome so didn't think much of it. Recent Globe and Mail stories (I think I posted the relevant one in this thread already) locate him in the room negotiating the new arena.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I expect for the Flames to wait for the Olympic decision and then if that falls through, they will put the team up for sale.

Hopefully a local owner steps up. The city is more than willing to negotiate, its CSE that is taking their ball and going home.
I agree with this. There is room for success here but current Flames leadership seems intent on throwing things down the crapper without finding a decent way through their mess.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010

Edwards bailed to the UK some time ago. Frankly I wouldn't blame the other owners for using this whole hooplah as an excuse to sell and cut loose so they can do the same. Who wants to have money tied down in Canada with the governments we currently have?

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
It's all been hot garbage since Harley Hotchkiss died and Edwards bought his holdings in the team. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad