Recalled/Assigned: Kempe recalled, Strome assigned to Tucson

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tocchet didn't seem to trust his line or rather he wanted to lean on Dvorak and Stepan more, resulting in Strome not getting a lot of time. It's not like the D pairing on the ice with Strome has been good the past two games.

I think it's dumb and panicky to do this after only 2 games.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
CRAP.

Hopefully he responds by working hard, dominating the AHL and earning a call up around Christmas.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Thing is, I didn't think Cousins was very good Saturday night, either. In fact, I thought he kind of stuck out in the 3rd period as one who was part of the problem.

Reactions: SniperHF

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
mixed feelings about this ... Before Camp started , I wanted Keller and Strome in Tuscon for a couple of reasons : I wanted Tuscon to dominate and get a winning culture down there. Alos I never thought Strome was ready, and I was concerned about Keller getting hurt..

I have to say that Keller obviously deserves a spot, and will end up being our best player .. ( still worried about him getting hurt tho) But I thought Strome looked better than I thought he would and deserves a longer stay... Lets hope now that he can dominate at the AHL level like he did in junior .. maybe his presence alone will instill confidence in that whole team.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ugh...I thought they were done with this kind of shit after the regime change. To be clear I'm perfectly ok with Strome being in Tucson, I'm of the opinion he should go dominate there first but they should have just started him in the AHL in the first place instead of keeping him up only to give him such a ridiculously short leash.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
First pick- 12.5 million for 8 years
Second pick-10 million for 8 years
Third pick- Tucson AHL
The Coyotes absolutely sucking at the perfect time to land McDavid, Eichel, Matthews or Laine yet failing to do so is probably going to hurt for decades. As fans we just have to hope that Strome + Keller > than any single one of the above, right now I'm not too confident that's going to be the case.

Reactions: Yandover

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yep, should've started him off in AHL if he was only going to get 2 games. 10-15 games should have been the minimum and then if he didn't produce then send him down. Now, the kid has to kick his butt in gear, get 20+ mins a night in Tucson and put up PPG+ per game.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
"They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there. Get that ****in' stick in their side. Let 'em know you're there! Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there! " - Reg Dunlop Slapshot
Bleed all over 'em let 'em know you're there.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ugh...I thought they were done with this kind of **** after the regime change. To be clear I'm perfectly ok with Strome being in Tucson, I'm of the opinion he should go dominate there first but they should have just started him in the AHL in the first place instead of keeping him up only to give him such a ridiculously short leash.

I'd have preferred that too, particularly with the camp Kempe had. Kempe is the kind of expendable, easily scratched if necessary, high-energy kind of a guy who knows the only way he's going to get ice time is to excel. Strome, unfortunately, does not have the pressure (or, if he does, not nearly at as high of a level). Everyone keeps telling him he's a lock for the NHL and he's a 3OA pick and so forth, so I do worry that maybe he's a bit too comfortable in his view of his own future.

Strome needs a full season in the AHL - preferably, without any cups of coffee - to prove his junior game is translatable to the pro one. I think Chayka made a mistake in keeping him up, and I think he knows it. Better to rectify the mistake now rather than have the kid stuck here playing low minutes.

(PS - he's wearing #91 in Tucson... anyone else feel an unpleasant shiver about that?)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tocchet didn't seem to trust his line or rather he wanted to lean on Dvorak and Stepan more, resulting in Strome not getting a lot of time. It's not like the D pairing on the ice with Strome has been good the past two games.

I think it's dumb and panicky to do this after only 2 games.

Well Tocc doesn't have as much patience as the last coach did with Strome last year.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thing is, I didn't think Cousins was very good Saturday night, either. In fact, I thought he kind of stuck out in the 3rd period as one who was part of the problem.

Yeah he wasn't great either.
Cousins was much better in preseason than he was last Saturday. Of course preseason is just that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ugh...I thought they were done with this kind of **** after the regime change. To be clear I'm perfectly ok with Strome being in Tucson, I'm of the opinion he should go dominate there first but they should have just started him in the AHL in the first place instead of keeping him up only to give him such a ridiculously short leash.
I liked this post but I want to quote it also because I can't triple like it.

Reactions: doaner

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Funny thing is that I liked his pace okay. Seemed a lot better than a year ago anyway.

I'm not a pro by any stretch but his positioning looked good and he was making smart choices in games. He was maybe too passive but that was a team wide problem.

I don't think he was demonstrably worse than Stepan or Dvorak in certain situations. Dvorak I thought was pretty bad on the PP and lacked urgency. I would've preferred seeing Strome get those PP minutes honestly. Stepan's pace wasn't good last game either. All centers got their dicks kicked in on faceoffs against Vegas too.

My point is I have a hard time singling out Strome as having played more poorly than half the forwards on the team over the last two games.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not a pro by any stretch but his positioning looked good and he was making smart choices in games. He was maybe too passive but that was a team wide problem.

I'm trying to read between Tocchet's lines and figure out what he means when he says Strome needed to make quicker decisions. Strome's thing seems to be appearing in the right spot at the right time but being largely invisible otherwise. I can't tell if Tocchet wants more hustle (not just outright foot speed), or if he thinks Strome's hockey IQ is too puck-centered and not concerned enough with the guy he's chasing, or what. Or maybe his "thinking game" isn't suited for the energy lines, which is where he'd be stuck playing.

At any rate, fait accompli, he's where he should be, IMO. I hope he tears the AHL up.

Reactions: YOW and SniperHF

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's had plenty of opportunities, but done nothing with them, other than prove he's not ready. Should have started in Tucson.

I think it is as bit early to do this, but for me it's no big deal as I think we will see this all year long. Strome's skating has really improved, but I'm still disappointed in his overall play.We are still rebuilding so a stint in the A won't hurt and Fischer could be next if he doesn't pull up his socks. My concern is what happens when Rinaldo comes off his suspension.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I
Funny thing is that I liked his pace okay. Seemed a lot better than a year ago anyway.

I don't think he was demonstrably worse than Stepan or Dvorak in certain situations. Dvorak I thought was pretty bad on the PP and lacked urgency. I would've preferred seeing Strome get those PP minutes honestly. Stepan's pace wasn't good last game either. All centers got their dicks kicked in on faceoffs against Vegas too.

My point is I have a hard time singling out Strome as having played more poorly than half the forwards on the team over the last two games.
I agree, but maybe Tocc is trying to send a message, who knows. I still believe Strome can do much better than what he has shown so far.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I actually agree, but I think Strome can still benefit immensely from some AHL time, the other 2 not so much. I do agree it would have been better to just have him start in Tucson rather than wait two games though.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Sucks for the kid, but it's the right thing for him. Waste of two games, though. He really wasn't that bad in either game, so management were obviously down on him from the start :dunno:

Happy for Kempe to get his opportunity, the guy is all hustle and intensity. I know it can only get you so far, but if the Coyotes were missing one thing against Vegas, it was that.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Strome can be great when he slows the game down, not exactly the current game plan.

Sounds like Martinook will be sitting out and Fischer will draw back in.

Kempe-Dvorak-Duclair was a thing during camp, so maybe:

Perlini-Cousins-Crouse
Rieder-Richardson-Fischer

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

I thought Strome was solid in game 1, he was actually noticeable and in a good way. Sure he was invisible in game 2 but so were most of the other forwards, almost all of whom got more ice time. It makes me wonder if the plan was always to send him down very early unless he went bonkers and dominated. I'm probably just grasping at straws to make this move seem less Tippet'ish and I say that as someone who was pretty Tip neutral.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
It was inevitable he would spend some time in Tucson, I just didn't think so soon. Roadrunners don't play a game until Saturday. The Coyotes have 2 games until then so I thought they'd keep him around for those at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad