Recalled/Assigned: Kempe recalled, Strome assigned to Tucson

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Strome can be great when he slows the game down, not exactly the current game plan.
Which is one reason I don't understand why he didn't get more PP time. His style seems perfect for the half-ice game that is the power play.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sucks for the kid, but it's the right thing for him. Waste of two games, though. He really wasn't that bad in either game, so management were obviously down on him from the start :dunno:

Just totally winging it here, but thinking about it I wonder if they set him some specific benchmarks in camp/preseason for what it would take to end up on the squad. Maybe he hit them but only just, so they felt they had to put him on the team or risk undermining their own credibility?

Something I'm not really sure of, but do NHL team ever set specific benchmarks in this way? Feels like a good way to back yourself into demoting your prospect two games later :laugh:

If they keep the players more in the dark on the process that seems like it would go against the type of accountability they preach. But perhaps its a little more undefined than what my theory requires but more defined than "Play good" :laugh:

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Best for him to be in the AHL than a healthy scratch as it looks like this is where he was heading.

That decision should have come at the end of camp though, as quite a few guys have had worst performances than him so far in the two games played ; now this feels like this demotion comes with a confused message.

There is a long list of items for him to work on, I look forward to him having greater time and space to do that in Tucson.

Strome is not one of those guys that jump development stages, he has to get through all of them, one by one. And it is fine although of course it can be challenging to see other guys in his draft at a more obvious advance stage right now.

Reactions: Kimahri

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Just for comparisons sake where were Spezza, Johanson, Drai and Schiefle at this point in their careers? I see those 4 names often touted as centers who took some time before they were impact NHL centers.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Agreed. I'd add that his skating is much better than last year, and it's obvious to anyone paying attention that it's something that he has been working on relentlessly since his draft year. But nonetheless, que the main board "bust" remarks and "his skating is terrible so he'll never amount to anything" I told you so claims.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Which is one reason I don't understand why he didn't get more PP time. His style seems perfect for the half-ice game that is the power play.

When he had the puck, he made consistently good decisions with it, and I felt pleasantly surprised by his defense as someone who watched him all last year in junior. His extra skating has allowed him to pursue guys a bit more than previously. He is still not 'intense' on the puck but the entire team isn't. If he elevates the puck just a bit more against Anaheim, he doesn't get demoted IMO.

I don't like short leashes. Give a guy a run of 10 games in his intended role. This is your 3rd overall pick and a major part of the rebuild. It's the least you can do.

Pulling random levers after losses was Tippett's thing. I'm not saying Tocchet is prone to it, but this has me slightly concerned.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This is one of those things folks thought was unique to Tippett but which most coaches are prone to doing.

Reactions: cobra427

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Again - it's too bad he couldn't play in the A last season, as this would have best served him. I Doan think he's being mishandled here, just more of the same with a quicker trigger. On the bright side - he has improved.

Reactions: cobra427

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Don't like this at all. Piss poor asset management and disappointed with Tocc. They f***ed with this kid last year and now this short leash when there are probably 5 or 6 guys that should be scratched before even thinking about Strome. The sad part is it's to either play Martinook out of position or Cousins who is one of the average at best players that filled the roster for years. I was hoping we were done with that kind of thinking. Calling up a JAG like Kempe doesn't nothing for me either. I can see this quickly turning into another Turris situation. Can't wait to watch that again.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Single Seasons:

Spezza: 55pts in the NHL in his D+3

Scheifele: 34pts in the NHL in his D+3

Draisaitl: 77pts in the NHL in his D+3

Johansen split AHL(40gp33pt) and NHL(40gp12pt) in his D+3 season

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Don't like this at all. Piss poor asset management and disappointed with Tocc. They ****ed with this kid last year and now this short leash when there are probably 5 or 6 guys that should be scratched before even thinking about Strome. The sad part is it's to either play Martinook out of position or Cousins who is one of the average at best players that filled the roster for years. I was hoping we were done with that kind of thinking. Calling up a JAG like Kempe doesn't nothing for me either. I can see this quickly turning into another Turris situation. Can't wait to watch that again.

Scratched Fischer, demotes Strome, I suspect Duclair could be next. We lose the next couple games and we will see more roster changes.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I can at least make a logical argument for scratching Fischer after that first game. Scratching Duclair makes no sense at all. He's hardly the worst offender on the roster. If anything I'd say he's playing better than most for his role.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We have a roster predominantly filled by youth. I'm okay with taking the chance on developing a top line every situation 200 foot C in the A. This is however the first real test of Chayka's skill on dealing with the human side of managing. More to this than a spreadsheet and rejecting the null hypothesis.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We have a roster predominantly filled by youth. I'm okay with taking the chance on developing a top line every situation 200 foot C in the A. This is however the first real test of Chayka's skill on dealing with the human side of managing. More to this than a spreadsheet and rejecting the null hypothesis.

If they came out and demoted him at the end of camp I'd agree with you.

This is suspiciously more like the "I have no idea what I'm doing" meme dog you used to have as an avatar.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Single Seasons:

Spezza: 55pts in the NHL in his D+3

Scheifele: 34pts in the NHL in his D+3

Draisaitl: 77pts in the NHL in his D+3

Johansen split AHL(40gp33pt) and NHL(40gp12pt) in his D+3 season
Yikes, so even the slow developers started putting up some points this season. Way too early to panic, but by the end of the year I hope we see some production.

Don't like this at all. Piss poor asset management and disappointed with Tocc. They ****ed with this kid last year and now this short leash when there are probably 5 or 6 guys that should be scratched before even thinking about Strome. The sad part is it's to either play Martinook out of position or Cousins who is one of the average at best players that filled the roster for years. I was hoping we were done with that kind of thinking. Calling up a JAG like Kempe doesn't nothing for me either. I can see this quickly turning into another Turris situation. Can't wait to watch that again.

The fact that it happened after two games is odd, anyone who made the team should have more than two games. Again I don't hate the move since there's a lot for strome to work on in the A. He needs minutes, and if the last game is any indication he's not going to get enough up here. I agree though, if he was good enough to make the team, why does he only get 2 games?

I still think turris was (and probably still is) a bit of a punk though. The coyotes organization and 2 coaches certainly deserve some blame too, but I don't think it's all on us, just like it's not all on turris. Hopefully strome understands what he needs to work on and takes this as motivation instead of pulling a turris.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

It's not a Turris situation because Strome isn't good enough to play in the NHL unless maybe in a sheltered OZS only/reduced quality minutes role which doesn't make sense for the team or the player. He's also not the only player on the roster who doesn't have NHL level so that makes it even harder to keep a player like him.
However, I agree with you that it's poor asset management. They all knew he wasn't ready and yet Chayka and co. still decided to keep him on the roster. This should have never happened. What they should have done instead is to bring in an experienced bottom six Center. Cousins is a plug and Martinook isn't a center. This team isn't gonna go anywhere with only three NHL quality Centermen and only two NHL quality righty forwards. Kempe and Fischer play like vets so I expect a better game from the Coyotes. Playing those two is nothing more than a step in the right direction though. I really don't like the fact that they traded the farm just to create a messy losing roster...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It's not a Turris situation because Strome isn't good enough to play in the NHL unless maybe in a sheltered OZS only/reduced quality minutes role which doesn't make sense for the team or the player. He's also not the only player on the roster who doesn't have NHL level so that makes it even harder to keep a player like him.
However, I agree with you that it's poor asset management. They all knew he wasn't ready and yet Chayka and co. still decided to keep him on the roster. This should have never happened. What they should have done instead is to bring in an experienced bottom six Center. Cousins is a plug and Martinook isn't a center. This team isn't gonna go anywhere with only three NHL quality Centermen and only two NHL quality righty forwards. Kempe and Fischer play like vets so I expect a better game from the Coyotes. Playing those two is nothing more than a step in the right direction though. I really don't like the fact that they traded the farm just to create a messy losing roster...
Horse shit. We've needed more talent for over a decade. We don't need more Martinooks or Kempes or bottom six anythings. You really should have been a fan during that last coach's tenure. You'd have been in love watching all those scrubs lose. We have exactly ONE young center that brings an offensive resume. Nobody expects this team to win this year. You play the guy with two of the many offensive forwards on the roster and let him learn. Giving those minutes to Cousins or Martinook at center or a Kempe gain you the same thing we gained by giving plugs minutes year after year; an extra meaningless win or three and much less entertaining hockey.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Scratched Fischer, demotes Strome, I suspect Duclair could be next. We lose the next couple games and we will see more roster changes.

What in the world makes you suspect Duke is next? Have you watched the games?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Horse ****. We've needed more talent for over a decade. We don't need more Martinooks or Kempes or bottom six anythings. You really should have been a fan during that last coach's tenure. You'd have been in love watching all those scrubs lose. We have exactly ONE young center that brings an offensive resume. Nobody expects this team to win this year. You play the guy with two of the many offensive forwards on the roster and let him learn. Giving those minutes to Cousins or Martinook at center or a Kempe gain you the same thing we gained by giving plugs minutes year after year; an extra meaningless win or three and much less entertaining hockey.

Strome isn't ready and without him, there are only three proper Centers on the roster. One of those three is gonna lose just about every important faceoff. How can you be happy with this? Cousins and Martinook aren't Centers and even if they were they're not gonna win many faceoffs. Just compare them to other teams 3rd line Centers like Brayden Point or Artem Anisimov and then tell me if you still think that Martinook is all that great of a 3rd line Center.
I wasn't a fan of Tippett but if Chayka thinks that he can even win a bag of pucks in this league with mostly one way forwards and without Center depth then he's terribly wrong. His coach seems to think the same based on recent decisions. Tippett was terrible but not everything he did was all that stupid.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Guys...I think it is pretty simple. Toch has a particular system he wants to play. Didn't get a good enough look at Strome during preseason against real NHL roster. Gave him benefit of doubt by giving him couple real NHL games. Everyone can see he is still slow with his decisions not to mention foot speed. He should be in AHL and prove himself like Perlini. I had said during preseason Kempe should be up and Strome should be down. Kid should be happy he got two games. If he is pissed, go kick ass in AHL and he'll be back up pretty quick. Toch likes Kempe's speed, tenacity, energy and fits his style much better than Strome. If Strome put up Tavares type numbers before Tavares learned to skate, I'm sure he would still be here even if he wasn't quick.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I wasn't a fan of Tippett but if Chayka thinks that he can even win a bag of pucks in this league with mostly one way forwards and without Center depth then he's terribly wrong. His coach seems to think the same based on recent decisions. Tippett was terrible but not everything he did was all that stupid.

I thought we were going to see more Tippet in Tocchet, than we are. I'm starting to think we need a hybrid of the two, but hey - it's still early.... just hard to figure how there can be such a lack of structure, despite being early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->