Keith Yandle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Eh. He had an okay game, but he didn't fight anyone. When we start playing actual good teams (like those rugged, TUFF teams in the West), how are we supposed to beat them with Keith "Charmin" Yandle?

He can skate with a carton of eggs and not break any, he's such a finesse "soft" player.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's almost like adding Letang except Letang's always getting hurt. Yandle per the broadcast last night hasn't missed a game since 2008-09. He and McDonagh are practically equal in value. The Rangers D is seriously good.

Henrik get back and up to speed--we'll be even better. The Rangers can win the low scoring tight checking games--this gives them an extra edge in the run and gun higher scoring games.

That being said--there may be some adjusting that Yandle's going to need to do. Last night it was all about seeing how he could just blend in.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
what is the record for the highest amount of minuses for one season in the NHL?

Idk but i dont think he's gonna drop anymore with the rangers. A -32 is very questionable but look at the team he played for. Yes some of it is yandle fault. Some aren't.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
It's almost like adding Letang except Letang's always getting hurt. Yandle per the broadcast last night hasn't missed a game since 2008-09. He and McDonagh are practically equal in value.

Yeah whoever said he's a third pair defenseman clearly hasn't been paying attention. The guy will likely score around 60 points for us in a full season with our firepower in front of him. The only third pair he will on will be on the All Star team.

Speaking of which, a two time All Star who never slowed down is well worth an unproven prospect who - while not impossible - will probably never be an All Star. Meanwhile a late first has only a 40% chance to make the NHL, while a late second has a 15% chance. Coyoes have only about a 50-50 chance of getting an NHLer out of these two picks.

TurgePurge*

If yandle didnt get traded here and was a ufa this summer, how much money would you have offered him?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If yandle didnt get traded here and was a ufa this summer, how much money would you have offered him?

He'd get paid like the #1 defenseman that he is. It would certainly be significantly more than what Staal and Girardi got.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yandle should be pretty happy that after wandering the desert for many years, he's now on his way to the Promised Land (the Cup).

DieByTheShield

Fire AV
Sep 15, 2014
San Diego CA
If told me at the begining of the season that the Rangers defense would be so deep Keith Yandle would be on the third pair, I would have thought you were going insane.

Yandle's been awesome so far even if it is just one game. I feel like this finally the blockbuster that will get us over the hump.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think Yandle is going to be a perfect fit for this team i really do. The Rangers have guys like Brassard, Stepan and Zuccarello (and sometimes St. Louis) who make insane catch-you-off guard passes, but the rest of the team has become ready for them. Yandle has that type of vision and you can already tell that his creativity is going to fit into AV's offense well.

The defensive aspect is another story - I think it will take time but the big positive is that hes familiar with Ulfie behind the bench and he wont be going against the others teams top line every shift. That should give him even more room offensively to do what he does best.

What im scared of is the team forcing it to him on the PP like they used to with Jagr back in the day. It killed everything. But usually that happens when you force it to a forward. Quite different when its a PPQB because its easier to get him the puck at the top of the zone and you want him to have the puck. For about 30 seconds when he was out there on the PP with Brassard, Boyle and Zucc (maybe it was Step) there was some insane movement and passing. Hopefully that is something they can build on but the most important thing is they dont get over zealous with the passing and they take the shot when they can.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
If told me at the begining of the season that the Rangers defense would be so deep Keith Yandle would be on the third pair, I would have thought you were going insane.

Just let that sink in. Keith f'in Yandle is on our third pair.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

You are still insane if you think any line Yandle is on is a third pair. He's our second-best defenseman, whatever line he's on is not a third pair.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You are still insane if you think any line Yandle is on is a third pair. He's our second-best defenseman, whatever line he's on is not a third pair.

We have 3 1st D pairings. All 3 of our LDs are #1s and our RDs are at worst average #4s

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I really liked the

McD-G
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein

pairings. I felt like Yands and Klein got better as the 1st went on then AVA started mixing everything up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah Yandle's gonna be getting around 20 minutes per game. The spread probably stays similar to last night where Boyle and Klein get a bit less, McDonagh a bit more

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Part of the reason why Yandle's minus will be reduced is that he won't be constantly on the ice in 6-on-5 situations where his team gives up empty net goals by the dozen every season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
One of the reasons I wanted the Rangers to go hard after Sekera was because he would allow the coaching staff to effectively deploy their D based on game situation with out running the risk of burning anyone out. They got a guy who is an even better player, but he gives them the same versatility.

I think the guy who ends up benefiting the most out of all of this will be Marc Staal.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Loved his game.

He makes very quick puck decisions, but they're actually smart, difficult passes. Girardi for example makes quick decisions, but he almost always takes the safe, obvious route. Yandle was moving the puck with the same quickness and decisiveness, but the passes were far better.

This team now has 0 defenders that are actual third pairing guys. Boyle and Klein are their worst. That's incredible.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
They all got more time in the last 10 minutes of the game, specifically when Nashville pulled their goalie.

Yea I know, AV probably didn't feel comfortable putting Yandle in a new system. At the end of a game when they were pressing hard. I think all of our dmen can log 20 minutes. Maybe play McD/G like 21-22 and give Boyle 18. But this is incredible depth

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yandle is 10x better than Sekera. What a deal this is going to be for us. It hurts a lot losing Duke, but man oh man can this guy play hockey. You saw it halfway through the 1st and definitely in the 2nd...this guy just took off. He was everywhere. Everywhere. His passing ability is outstanding. Great vision. His offensive ability is better than Mac and that is saying something. He can skate too. I just kept thinking Leetch every time he was out there.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
There was one pass where Nash was skating wide open in the neutral zone and Yandle got the puck and moved it up to him so fast Nash wasn't expecting it.

At least that's what it looked like to me :laugh:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
There was one pass where Nash was skating wide open in the neutral zone and Yandle got the puck and moved it up to him so fast Nash wasn't expecting it.

At least that's what it looked like to me :laugh:

I know what you are talking about and thought the same thing.

Pretty incredible because Nash's teammates have been able to find him all year with good passing. And now here comes Yandle who is an even better outlet passer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad