Keith Pelley hired as new MLSE President, CEO

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I really hope they don't change the structure back to having the Raptors and Leafs report to the MLSE CEO instead of directly to the board. I think such a move could cost them both Shanahan and Ujiri. And while arguments can be made for both that it's time for them to go, I'm more concerned about the effect that it could have on the candidate pools for replacements. In my opinion, a Leafs or Raptors president who reports to a MLSE president who then reports to the board would be seen as a lesser position than one who reports directly to the bard and thus less desirable to potential top candidates.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I don’t trust any Rogers crony. As long as he keeps his hands away from the day to day of the teams I couldn’t care less, but I’m not optimistic.
That's really quite impossible to do with the ownership structure of MLSE now. Peddie meddled back in the day of the Teachers owning the Leafs, but I doubt you'll see anything like this ever again.

Each team has their own team president and have had so for a while.

Reactions: Menzinger

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Unless they also change the reporting structure, the Leafs and Raptors presidents will still be reporting directly to the board.
I hope the new guy is allowed more .it's nice having team presidents but this guy needs fresh eyes
This team is great at paying,but man if he saw how much a difference world class defenceman make he'd never sign marner

already experienced at negotiating just like the Leafs management so he’ll fit into the culture of failing upwards
Rogers won't bid again

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
That search took forever.

Seemingly better to have someone like him in place to make decisions on Shanny (if and when it comes to that) vs the board.
Hope he cleans house .he is sports guy too
I'm sure he ll get intake from many off outsiders on the real makeup of his clubs
Hedman might be in tough in Toronto FC
Shanahan will have to show why he signed off and not having money for defenceman
Musji will get a benefit of the doubt as long as Raptors make money

already experienced at negotiating just like the Leafs management so he’ll fit into the culture of failing upwards
Ya marner 14 million and bring up 3 marlies to plug holes on defense lol

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
First thing I thought of was Shapiro.
I think tre got hired because his dad and Tannenbaum are friends
The leafs didn't need to rush to hire a gm
And the moves tre made havnt done squat
And now another 8 years of nights when they blow leads of your coach p***y footing around in the media of not wanting to upset his stars
Who looked second best all night
Even Reilly would be second pair on colorado

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
300 average ticket, plus boxes, plus 50-100 per person spend would get you in the 8-9 per range.

they could do a half mil to mil in merch easy on top of that.

They may get some kind of bonus rev for the tv/streaming.

playoff games matter to revenue for sure
I assume long playoff runs would generate substantial non-game day related revenues, with the following the Leafs have.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I assume long playoff runs would generate substantial non-game day related revenues, with the following the Leafs have.
My office is on University Ave, in the parade route. When the Raps won, there were over a million, close to 2million, people in the street, every one wearing a raps jersey and you can pretty much bet all of them were purchased during the playoff run.

thats somewhere in the 100 million to 200 million range for jersey sales in a 6 week period.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
My office is on University Ave, in the parade route. When the Raps won, there were over a million, close to 2million, people in the street, every one wearing a raps jersey and you can pretty much bet all of them were purchased during the playoff run.

thats somewhere in the 100 million to 200 million range for jersey sales in a 6 week period.
I hope this guy comes in and is allowed to throw a
Hundred million or so around at high profile presidents
Let these guys hire the respective sports managers
Maybe a flamboyant person might wanna make his mark

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
So I finally decided to research this guy.

By that I mean I read his Wikipedia page. Pelley's background appears to be more sports entertainment than sports management. He was hired to make sure jersey's and season tickets keep selling.

As opposed to bringing home the ultimate prize.

Rogers and Bell don't care about winning. And they don't care about you either. They're corporate conglomerates whose primary purpose is to maximize shareholder equity.

Growing their monolithic sports media monopoly.

Whether they actually win anything is of secondary consideration at best. Hiring this guy doesn't change that fact. Pelley is nothing more than a corporate man who will toe the corporate line and work towards furthering the corporate agenda.

There's nothing in his biography to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: glue

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

By that I mean I read his Wikipedia page. Pelley's background appears to be more sports entertainment than sports management. He was hired to make sure jersey's and season tickets keep selling.

Rogers and Bell don't care about winning. And they don't care about you either. They're corporate conglomerates whose primary purpose is to maximize shareholder equity.

Whether they actually win anything is of secondary consideration at best. Hiring this guy doesn't change that fact. Pelley is nothing more than a corporate man who will toe the corporate line and work towards furthering the corporate agenda.

Of course he's going to have a corporate background, that's the job.... The president/CEO isn't involved in sports ops

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You have no idea what the job is do you?

• Haha
Reactions: AlienWorkShop

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
You have no idea what the job is do you?
He can fire every president of the major sports that msle own
Bring in his own presidents and let them hire gms as they see fit
This guy knows what he's getting into and just maybe he is enuff of a sportsman to know what's needed

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
This guy knows what he's getting into and just maybe he is enuff of a sportsman to know what's needed
As I and others have stated elsewhere n the thread, there would need to be a change in the structure of MLSE for this to happen. Currently, the Leafs and Raptors presidents report directly to the board not to the MLSE CEO.

And, of course, he can't do anything until he actually starts the job in early April.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

They haven't released any information on how Pelley's hiring will affect the corporate structure yet, so nobody really knows exactly what his role is yet, and anyone implying they do know isn't being honest with themselves or others.

But I'm pretty sure I had it right when I said he was "hired to make sure jersey's and season tickets keep selling".

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
They haven't released any information on how Pelley's hiring will affect the corporate structure yet, so nobody really knows exactly what his role is yet, and anyone implying they do know isn't being honest with themselves or others.

But I'm pretty sure I had it right when I said he was "hired to make sure jersey's and season tickets keep selling".
But he sits at the board meetings?I just think he will look at the state of franchises
Their leadership and such and maybe get an outside opinion on such
MSLE is a sports empire ,such the new CEO should have a pulse,and most good CEO s have advisers
Shanahan is likely the first casualty

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

You were expecting Joe from the mail room to be put in a corporate position?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
But he sits at the board meetings?I just think he will look at the state of franchises
Their leadership and such and maybe get an outside opinion on such
MSLE is a sports empire ,such the new CEO should have a pulse,and most good CEO s have advisers
Shanahan is likely the first casualty

Your guess is as good as anyone else's at this point.

But I don't imagine he was hired to be a powerless figurehead. Unless the point was to provide a buffer between ownership and their incompetent president. I know if someone offered me millions of dollars to take the brunt of abuse that should be directed towards someone else I'd do it in a heart beat.

At minimal Pelley is a new cloud for fans like me to yell at.

Reactions: hullsy47

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad