Keep Stepan or Brassard?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Your reasoning for keeping Brassard is that he was a first round pick - FOR ANOTHER TEAM - and he worked out here.

That is some....very, very questionable, uh, "logic".

Guess we should keep Kreider over Hank, then.

Not even factoring in that Stepan without question goes top 10 in a 2008 re-draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Its pretty close, but Stepan. He's younger and more productive, while also being better defensively.

Brassard is more visually talented, but that doesn't make him a better player.

I agree with everything here.

When both are on their A games, I think Brassard is the more dangerous player. But I think Stepan, though not exactly a player who has shown his entire potential, is a bit more likely to bring his attributes to the table on a given night.

Personally, if both guys can bring their best next season, I'm pretty happy with them as a tandem. I think they bring enough differences to the table that it doesn't create a redundancy at the position - even if the production isn't light years apart.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Your reasoning for keeping Brassard is that he was a first round pick - FOR ANOTHER TEAM - and he worked out here.

That is some....very, very questionable, uh, "logic".

Guess we should keep Kreider over Hank, then.
We're not talking goaltenders. We're talking forwards. You're changing the discussion.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I wouldn't want to get rid of either of them either but if someone held a gun to my head and told me to choose one I'd pick Brassard. So sue me. :dunno:

I think he's a more talented player.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Derek Brassard is the more talented player in most every aspect of the game. Better skater, better hands, better passer, better shot.

You can bring his PPG rate into the discussion but you'd still be wrong.

^^This. Brassard has so much more talent, he was, what, sixth overall pick in the draft that year? Steps dreams of having half the talent Brass has naturally.

IMO,
a) Brassard is more talented, and grew nicely last year, while Stepan started out like a train and then went dead, w/results comparable to prior years.
Brassard may need a year or two, but I see he has another growth spurt in him.
Stepan has plateaued off.

b) value. Stepan was a better value at whatever his last # was under 5 than Brassard at 5. But now w/Stepan due for a sizeable raise, it is clear Brass is better value.

If I must keep one, Brassard.
However, if we don't move IMMEDIATELY Brassard/Brass+ for a nice return, in 2 wks (July) we are stuck with him for 4 years since he will have earned NMNTC.

As long as the returns are high enough -- no reason to think they would not be --- should move them both.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
One scenario that keeps crossing my mind is Sather being a little bit trigger happy and trading Stepan to Carolina for Eric Staal 50% retained plus. It is a Sather type of move to make to put the team "over the top"

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
One scenario that keeps crossing my mind is Sather being a little bit trigger happy and trading Stepan to Carolina for Eric Staal 50% retained plus. It is a Sather type of move to make to put the team "over the top"

I personally think the target would be Joe Thornton.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Why are we having this discussion in the first place?

We finally have three legit centers on our roster that are all young. We have no real center talent waiting in our pipelines other than Lindberg, who will likely be 4th line LW this year.

Why trade one away?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
IMO,
a) Brassard is more talented, and grew nicely last year, while Stepan started out like a train and then went dead, w/results comparable to prior years.
Brassard may need a year or two, but I see he has another growth spurt in him.
Stepan has plateaued off.

b) value. Stepan was a better value at whatever his last # was under 5 than Brassard at 5. But now w/Stepan due for a sizeable raise, it is clear Brass is better value.

If I must keep one, Brassard.
However, if we don't move IMMEDIATELY Brassard/Brass+ for a nice return, in 2 wks (July) we are stuck with him for 4 years since he will have earned NMNTC.

As long as the returns are high enough -- no reason to think they would not be --- should move them both.

Why has Stepan's plateaued off at 24 while Brassard at 27 still has growth? Also Brassard has a limited no trade clause kicking in, without details it likely means he controls his destination partly if he's traded, we're NOT stuck with him.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I don't know why we are choosing, but if I had to pick one it would be Stepan without a second though.

For all of Brassard's "talent," which is usually just the wrong word for "flash," Brassard has outscored Stepan one time. Barely. This Year. By 5 points with 12 extra games.

Considering Stepan destroys Brassard defensively, and on the PK, the only argument for Brassard is an offense-centric one. And that argument would be wrong, since Brassard has rarely put up more points on the board than Stepan.

And Stepan is younger.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think this thread proposes trading either of them so much as it's a hypothetical question - and an interesting one at that.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Love them both and want neither of them going anywhere.

If one were moved, for a big upgrade, I'd keep Stepan. I love Brass, but Stepan is younger, more well rounded, big time PKer and has fantastic vision. He's so good he never looks like he's doing anything and yet he racks up the points and makes plays.

Although the same could be said about Brass (aside from the PK), that's why I'd like to keep them both.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Stepan is younger, has produced similarly, and is better on defense which is vital to a center. They compliment each other greatly. If there was one to trade it'd be Brass. After his playoffs, you'd get a lot for him.

One factor for keeping Stepan for their non-statistical bunch: he's right handed.

We have 1 other forward right handed in Fast. He doesn't play the powerplay. You need some variety in handedness for those 1-time shots and setting up the play.

If you can use skill in assessing a player, I'll use handedness as a counter that favors Stepan.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stepan is better defensively but I'd rather have a player who has the puck and doesn't have to defend, especially at forward.

I'm not sold on Stepan's possession game. He was 47.6%CF away from Kreider in 2013-14 and was just an absolute tire fire in 2014-15 regardless of who he was with.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
My thought process of coming to that conclusion isn't based purely on his statistical production, which you are basing your conclusion on.

The original question was who would you rather keep, Stepan or Brassard. I personally chose Brassard because of the raw tools he possesses that aren't measured by a piece of data. How well he skates, his hands (stick handling, dangling, etc) his ability to shoot the puck (all types of shots, wrist, slap, snap) etc. Not to mention his fire, and compete level which is lacking in Stepan's game. He's a notoriously soft player.

Those raw tools are some of the things he was originally judged on when scouted and eventually drafted in the first round, sixth overall, to Stepan being drafted in the second round, 51st overall.

Stepan has better statistical numbers, so if you're judging him to be the better player that way, I understand and respect it.

When in reference to who i would rather keep, I personally want the more talented guy in the fundamental aspects of the game. Making a judgement on a player based on pure production stats that can be heavily influenced by line mates, and other factors shouldn't be the only thing taken into consideration when determining who should be kept.

Using that same logic, you wouldn't want Rick Nash to play in the playoffs at all.
I love Brassard.

I both think Brassard and Stepan are really good players. Like another poster said, Brassard doesn't have the consistency. That'll keep his point total lower than what it can really be. I think, too, we like the visible emotion he shows. More visible than Step, in my opinion. Step has great talent in other areas. More consistent. Excellent defensive game.

If I'm having a skills competition, I'm taking Brassard, but the regular season and playoffs aren't that.

Give me Step over Brass in the regular season. Give me Brass over Step in the playoffs.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Brass is signed and has become a better player every season since he was traded here. Stepan is an RFA with little leverage and has been a solid player that contributes in every aspect of the game, but is a terrible skater and will not get better than he is now and those type of players go down hill faster than most. We could get a huge return for Stepan this off season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Stepans numbers over an 82 game season project to 19 goals, 47 assists and 66 points. That projects to slightly more than Brassard, but not by very much.

The question is, in a good season, what does Stepan realistically put up in a full throttle, healthy, full-season?

Depending on whether you project him as a 60-65 point center, or a 70-80 point center could make a big difference in how you value him compared to Brassard.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Step hands down. Has more skill, more upside, is home grown, and never stops smiling... and I friggin love him for that!

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Trade both.

- bernmeister

:sarcasm:

To be fair, he wants to trade everyone not named Chris Kreider. JT Miller, and Kevin Hayes.

Take that, league. Hayes & Miller will own your 1-2 punch down the middle. #playthekidsnow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad